PDA

View Full Version : PS3 has been finally cracked.

Pages : [1] 2

bacon12
01-31-10, 12:47 PM
"I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor," Hotz wrote on his blog. "In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip."

"3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system," he added.

It took Hotz himself five weeks to crack the PS3, which he documented on his blog. And though he hasn't revealed what the news could mean in terms of exploits, it sounds like there is definitely something that will be announced soon.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/three-years-later-the-ps3-gets-hacked.ars

Looks like it will be all soft mods as well? Wonder when we will see cracked PS3 titles?

|MaguS|
01-31-10, 01:23 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/three-years-later-the-ps3-gets-hacked.ars

Looks like it will be all soft mods as well? Wonder when we will see cracked PS3 titles?

Actually according to other Tech Guys (Beyond3D and Digital Foundry Guys) he hasn't cracked it fully to where its usuable, all he has done is gain access to the RAM and Hypervisor but the key and system is still locked down. He hasn't even demostrated the ability to run a "hello world" app which is usually a demostration of running unsigned code.

Nice read,
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=56284

HiCZoK4
01-31-10, 01:46 PM
So Me and Jonelo can finally buy this and enjoy ?! :bleh:

crainger
01-31-10, 01:56 PM
By the time he cracks it, you will be pirating Xbox1080 games HiC.

HiCZoK4
01-31-10, 03:07 PM
;/ someone pm me link to torrent sites with bluray images of ps3 games. I will start downloading. in 10 years. I will be prepared with thousands of gigs of games

Albo
01-31-10, 03:34 PM
He released what his exploit was. On his blog. It something about memory, I didn't understand a word of it.
http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/heres-your-silver-platter.html

ViN86
01-31-10, 04:27 PM
While I really don't care about pirating games, this opens up a lot of possibilities for the device. Especially on the PS3 which has so much potential for tasks besides gaming.

Scendore
02-01-10, 12:06 PM
Cool... We can look forward to more DRM schemes and higher priced titles... While I understand the counter balance point of view it's a bit out of wack in the PC world.

bacon12
02-01-10, 12:44 PM
Even if the PS3 is cracked the same way that the 360 has been, most people don't even have bluray burners...which means there isn't much a way to burn your h@xx0r3d games to a medium anyways.

Sony's done a good job protecting their platform, have to give them credit for that.

If they do really do crack it then I imagine there will be a way to mount s blu ray iso in a virtual drive maybe. I just really think its interesting how secure this platform really was, and how long it took to get access to things most devices would have given up long ago.

HiCZoK4
02-01-10, 01:31 PM
Its simple. If cracking ps3 will get common. Then everyone(yay Pirates) will want bluray recorder. Discs arent that expensivbe already. And bluray recoreder is somewhat still cheaper than dvd burners were back ni years.

but the real solution is. DOWNLOADING houndreds of gigs. But guess crackers will shrink games somehow

mailman2
02-01-10, 03:01 PM
but the real solution is. DOWNLOADING houndreds of gigs. But guess crackers will shrink games somehow

usenet. People download 1080 rips of Blu Ray movies now that are huge at their ISPs cap. I doubt a ps3 game is even close to filling a BR disc, I think they did it more for the security of the medium.

The size isn't going to stop them.

The burner is only $180 now - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136176
25GB Media is relatively cheap now too $3/disc - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817607024

|MaguS|
02-01-10, 04:59 PM
Sigh. The ps3 has not been cracked. Read the thread I posted. Yes he has by passed some of the security but not all of it so piracy is not possible as of now. Could his exploit be used to open the ps3 to piracy? Probably but at this time it has not even been shown that he has gained the abilty to load unsigned code. That's not even the full issue either since to load a game he needs access to the encryption key which is issolated from the ram and hypervisor aswell as it's updated every year or so or whenever they choose with a firmware update.

This whole thing is getting out of control and alot of misinformation is being spread regarding this. He made alot of claims in an interview that doesn't make sense, like stating he can enable PS2 BC for newer models even though newer systems lack the hardware. Oh and he claims he did this on an old fat model with an old firmware and that it "should" work with newer models on new firmwares. So he doesn't know if Sony already fixed the exploit to make it alot tougher to take advantage of.

ViN86
02-01-10, 05:12 PM
Sigh. The ps3 has not been cracked. Read the thread I posted. Yes he has by passed some of the security but not all of it so piracy is not possible as of now. Could his exploit be used to open the ps3 to piracy? Probably but at this time it has not even been shown that he has gained the abilty to load unsigned code. That's not even the full issue either since to load a game he needs access to the encryption key which is issolated from the ram and hypervisor aswell as it's updated every year or so or whenever they choose with a firmware update.

This whole thing is getting out of control and alot of misinformation is being spread regarding this. He made alot of claims in an interview that doesn't make sense, like stating he can enable PS2 BC for newer models even though newer systems lack the hardware. Oh and he claims he did this on an old fat model with an old firmware and that it "should" work with newer models on new firmwares. So he doesn't know if Sony already fixed the exploit to make it alot tougher to take advantage of.
He admitted it wasn't really cracked. But memory addresses to read/write to are on the right path.

The encryption keys aren't really necessary. The PSP has been cracked but no one knows its keys. Also, if he can gain control of the output from the SPU that does encryption and decryption he won't even need the key.

This article is the best overview:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3hacked-article

From the article:

According to his latest blog post, Hotz sees the reserved SPU with its precious cache of decryption keys as his primary target now. "Some people pointed out that I have not accessed the isolated SPEs," he wrote on his blog. "This is true. Although as far as doing anything with the system, it doesn't matter. The PPE can't read the isolated data, but it can kick the isolated SPEs out. Decrypt the PPE binary you need using the intact SPE and save the decrypted version. Kick out the SPE, and patch the decrypted version all you want."

In short he's looking to the use the processor core (the PPE) where he does have access to emulate the isolated SPU (for those interested, strictly speaking, the "SPE" is the name given to the group of all the SPUs). Holding him back - for now - is Hotz's contention that the PowerPC implementation of C++ is being used at this level, and it's somewhat removed from the ARM coding he is used to when hacking mobile devices like the iPhone.

So he could emulate the master keys. If so, Sony (if they can) could change the keys all they want and it would have no effect on this workaround.

Even if he does that, if you read the rest of the article you will see that there are still like 3 layers of security he needs to get through and none of them are easy lol. It will be a LONG time before we see pirated PS3 games imo.

General Lee
02-01-10, 05:27 PM
When I buy a bunch of hardware, and it's compliant software, I intend on it doing whatever I pretty much want it to. That's why I only game on PC, which is perfect, because I use it for so much more. When the day comes when I can do pretty much everything I do on a PC on a console, I might consider buying one. Console designers really need to focus on making their systems more flexible to users' needs.

|MaguS|
02-01-10, 05:42 PM
Thing is by using the PPE remove the isolated SPE that should add alot of overhead that could in the long run affect the systems performance due to the PPE doing work it wasn't originally intended to. I don't believe the PS3 also loads games similar to the PSP where it does a simple check.

When I buy a bunch of hardware, and it's compliant software, I intend on it doing whatever I pretty much want it to. That's why I only game on PC, which is perfect, because I use it for so much more. When the day comes when I can do pretty much everything I do on a PC on a console, I might consider buying one. Console designers really need to focus on making their systems more flexible to users' needs.
Yes because we have seen how well the openness and flexibility of the PC Platform has helped game developers... the reason why most game developers are going to the console platform is because its closed and control. They actually make a decent profit from there software.

tornadog
02-01-10, 07:35 PM
actually its pretty easy to play cracked games on ps3. install ubuntu on ps3. Then install windows xp inside ubuntu. then install daemon tools in XP. Then mount the ps3 game iso...and play game in all glory...:)

Albo
02-01-10, 07:43 PM
actually its pretty easy to play cracked games on ps3. install ubuntu on ps3. Then install windows xp inside ubuntu. then install daemon tools in XP. Then mount the ps3 game iso...and play game in all glory...:)

I heard that if you install linux on a PS3, all of the hardware isn't used. Meaning you wouldn't have access to the video card, and the game wouldn't run. But that's on what I read at other places. Maybe they found a way around that.

|MaguS|
02-01-10, 07:50 PM

Um no that wouldn't work, nice try.

ViN86
02-01-10, 10:51 PM

LOL that'd be funny if that worked. But that doesn't bypass encryption and XP won't run on a PowerPC processor.

mailman2
02-01-10, 11:19 PM

if that was the case shouldnt we be able to play PS3 games emulated on the PC?

HiCZoK4
02-02-10, 02:31 AM
lol. Instal 2 os on ps3?D THEN INSTALL DAEMON?! I didnt even know its possible!

|MaguS|
02-02-10, 10:10 AM
LOL that'd be funny if that worked. But that doesn't bypass encryption and XP won't run on a PowerPC processor.

You can actually install Windows XP on top of Linux and it will run but man its slow.

G-Ecr8tWetI

ViN86
02-02-10, 10:35 AM
You can actually install Windows XP on top of Linux and it will run but man its slow.

G-Ecr8tWetI

I meant natively. You can emulate it, but of course it runs like crap :lol:

BioHazZarD
02-02-10, 11:20 AM
The ps3 will be cracked when u can burn a blu-ray game and play a copy like on xbox, until that its not really anything sony should worry about.

tornadog
02-02-10, 12:44 PM
u guys actually thought I was serious???