PDA

View Full Version : BioShock 2 PC Features

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AngelGraves13
01-31-10, 03:53 PM
http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/bioshock2pcmegafeature

BIOSHOCK 2 PC Q&A

Did you change the UI/HUD for the PC version of the game?
We made quite a number of significant changes to UI / HUD for the PC version of the game. The decision was made early on not to support controllers at all in order to ensure that we got the mouse and keyboard control absolutely right. This of course required a redesign of large parts of the UI and the player HUD. For example, we removed the Weapons and Plasmid Selection Radials in favor of a custom created Weapons Selection Strip which more accurately reflects the keyboard layout.

How did you deal with widescreen? How will someone on a regular monitor and a widescreen monitor see the game?
We support single-screen 4:3, 5:4, 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. The game has been optimized to ensure that all game elements such as menus, HUD, UI, etc appear exactly the same regardless of what resolution the user is running the game at. The only major difference for 4:3 and 5:4 users will be the smaller Field of View compared to a widescreen resolution.

What’s the FOV and can you change it?
The FOV cannot be changed, and it is set to 75 degrees vertically. The default for users with widescreen monitors will be that they have a horizontally expanded viewport as compared to 4:3 or 5:4 monitors.

What graphical settings are customizable? (Resolution, vsync, etc.)
There are quite a lot of graphics options that the user can change, both in the main menu and while in game. In game hotswapping allows the user to change things like texture detail and lighting on the fly to best match their rig.

We have also implemented some DX10 specific options for users with DX10 compatible Graphics Cards. Bioshock2 will auto-detect whether the user has a DX10 compatible Graphics Card and adjust the settings automatically.

The full list of customizable graphics options for BioShock 2 are:

DX9
- Resolution
- Graphics Quality
- Actor Detail
- Texture Detail
- Vertical Sync
- Shadow Maps
- High Detail Post Processing
- High Detail Shaders
- Real Time Reflections
- Distortion
- Force Global Lighting

DX10
- Resolution
- Graphics Quality
- Actor Detail
- Texture Detail
- Vertical Sync
- Shadow Maps
- High Detail Post Processing
- High Detail Shaders
- Real Time Reflections
- Distortion
- Force Global Lighting
- DirectX10 Detail Surfaces (DX10 specific option)
- 3D Stereo Vision (DX10 specific option)

Do you allow gamers to customize their controls?
Yes, we do! As you can see in the screenshots, we support control customization. Jake will talk about this in the PC podcast next week for those of you who want to learn more, so stay tuned.

How did you deal with the mouse handling for the game (like acceleration, etc)?
BioShock 2 uses the OS Mouse speed settings as a default. BioShock 2 also supports 3rd party mouse applications such as Logitech SetPoint.

Mouse acceleration is now off by default and other options such as sensitivity and inversion can be changed in-game. There is an in-built mouse acceleration feature which the user can enable if desired.

Is there LAN play?
No. Unfortunately we don’t support LAN play for MP. The Game For Windows – Live service allows us to include all the functionality that LAN play provides, with added security and gameplay options such as achievements and a social messaging system which really enhance the BioShock 2 MP experience.

What are the digital distribution options?
The digital distribution options for BioShock 2 utilize both Steam and Direct2Drive.

How does multiplayer work on PC? Is it different than consoles?
Besides the obvious PC specific control and UI changes which were required as a matter of course to ensure the PC experience is consistent, the PC version of the MP game is exactly the same in both structure and content as the Console version.

While there are some minor differences in the way that Games For Windows – Live handles things like game requests compared to Xbox Live, for the most part, it is exactly the same.

How does matchmaking work?
We use the Games For Windows – Live matchmaking service, which generally takes things such as the users Gamerscore, their “zone,” etc into account when matchmaking players. We also rely heavily on latency based matchmaking to ensure that the user is not only playing against someone of a similar skill level as themselves, but also someone who has roughly the same type and speed of internet connection.

Do you support dedicated servers?
No. We use the Games For Windows – Live servers to allow for more accurate matchmaking, as well as more comprehensive stat tracking and anti cheating functionality.

Do you support any special display modes? BioShock 2 has been designed from the outset to take advantage of NVIDIA’s GeForce 3D Vision displays.

K007
02-01-10, 03:01 AM
tbh...all those 'features'...i will wait for a review to c it in action..

Viral
02-01-10, 04:36 AM
How are they features exactly? They're mostly things all PC games should have, the fact that their first installment lacked many of them just goes to show how poorly thought out the PC release was.

Regardless, glad to see they're putting some proper effort into making the PC release of Bioshock 2 work properly.

CaptNKILL
02-01-10, 04:56 AM
I'm also waiting on this one. I was sort of tempted to preorder it today since it comes with $10 gift cards and rebates at a few stores, but I was so sick of the last one by the time it was over and all of the videos of this one look absolutely identical to the first.

K007
02-01-10, 05:31 AM
i have very high doubts on these so called 'features'....chances are they will be in but very buggy. I also have a few other games to finish off right now, and i am more looking forward to AvP than this. I did enjoy the first game...it was ok...i didn't really feel connected with the characters in the first one. From a singleplayer game i usually like to connect with the characters...but i guess Bioware is to blame for this lol...

& Everyone knows the multiplayer is going to be a flop, i am sure it's going to some balance issues that will probably get addressed much later.

And yes..these features should be standard on any game that is coming out on the pc since what...2008? (dx10/10.1).

i wish the next gen console hurry up and get here...then finally some of these features will be done properly on the pc.

Arioch
02-01-10, 05:47 AM
I am hoping that it will not disappoint in 3-D!

FearMeAll
02-01-10, 06:45 AM
No 360 controller support sucks.. I was going to play it in my basement on the 160" screen and the controller was perfect in bioshock 1.

nutcrackr
02-01-10, 07:37 AM
I remember Borderlands great PC "Features" what a crock of **** that was.

I fail to see how they needed to remove 360 controller support to get the mouse and keyboard working. Ok fine, take it out, get it working, then add the code back in that you already have working on the 360. Should not take very long. Hell its GFW Live and no 360 controller support is dumb.

|MaguS|
02-01-10, 07:40 AM
Yeah remember the talk of optimizing for the PC on the original and they didn't even have proper widescreen support? HA!

K007
02-01-10, 08:08 AM
lol yea, i bet the widescreen will be a flop on this as well.

Quick420
02-01-10, 10:09 AM
Sounds to me like they are making an effort to fix all our issues with Bioshock1 and yet you guys are still bitching? M&K ftw,or did you flip/flop to the 360 pad now.....I personally could care less about the 360 pad....I'd much rather have a mouse with no acceleration.(they are even adding an option to toggle it on/off)I can see how these devs are getting pissed at the PC community,nothing is ever good enough for the spoiled masses these days.

GitDat
02-01-10, 10:43 AM
No 30 fps physics cap or BAN :mad:

loafer87gt
02-01-10, 11:01 AM
Sounds to me like they are making an effort to fix all our issues with Bioshock1 and yet you guys are still bitching? M&K ftw,or did you flip/flop to the 360 pad now.....I personally could care less about the 360 pad....I'd much rather have a mouse with no acceleration.(they are even adding an option to toggle it on/off)I can see how these devs are getting pissed at the PC community,nothing is ever good enough for the spoiled masses these days.

Agreed. Seems devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Vardant
02-01-10, 11:19 AM
Quick420 did you know, that the sound issue with first Bioshock has never been fixed? I tried to install it today, to refresh my memory and I had to play with it for a few hours and look through several forums to get sound in game.

Quick420
02-01-10, 11:41 AM
Quick420 did you know, that the sound issue with first Bioshock has never been fixed? I tried to install it today, to refresh my memory and I had to play with it for a few hours and look through several forums to get sound in game.

I am unaware of any sound issues with the game....never had a problem.My x-fi ran it without hiccups?

Ywap
02-01-10, 11:42 AM
No 30 fps physics cap or BAN :mad:

This should be the no.1 priority for the sequel. But was it really 30? Because it felt more like 15 or something.

Nitz Walsh
02-01-10, 12:17 PM
No 360 controller support sucks.. I was going to play it in my basement on the 160" screen and the controller was perfect in bioshock 1.
Just stroke it off my buy list for that specifically. I play the majority of my PC games on my HDTV now with a controller.

Bloody idiotic. Bioshock was a GFW title, why isn't this? Support the damn controller, Bioshock worked just fine with both - the control mechanism would change if it detected you had a 360 controller.

Idiots.

FastRedPonyCar
02-01-10, 12:48 PM
LOL at all the pissy gamers "crossing games off their list" due to trivial matter.

The first game was great and I'll be getting this one.

Nitz Walsh
02-01-10, 01:28 PM
LOL at all the pissy gamers "crossing games off their list" due to trivial matter.
Yes, "main control method" is "trivial". Duh.

It completely changes the experience for those of us who don't want to sit hunched over our keyboard & mouse but still want to enjoy the advantages of the PC hardware (and a huge screen to boot).

That, and it supported it previously - it's still a Games for Windows title, 360 pad support is supposed be mandatory. While disappointing, it would be different if it wasn't a GFW title and never had 360 pad support to begin with, no one would have expected that. If anything 360 pads are far more commonplace now than they were when Bioshock1 was introduced.

FastRedPonyCar
02-01-10, 02:22 PM
if you want to play BS2 with a 360 controller, buy the xbox version.

Nitz Walsh
02-01-10, 04:03 PM
if you want to play BS2 with a 360 controller, buy the xbox version.
No **** sherlock.

I've already explained the reasons why I want the PC version, I don't want to be locked into 1280x720 30fps with crap filtering and no AA on the Xbox, and have to pay more for the privilege just to get the options they had in the first version for control method.

CaptNKILL
02-01-10, 04:12 PM
I agree with Nitz. Removing controller support seems like a terrible idea.

I'd never even consider using a controller for a game like this on PC, but support for the Xbox 360 pad has been growing for the last several years. To suddenly have one AAA cross platform title release without any kind of controller support just seems stupid, especially when it looks nearly identical to the first... which supported the controller just fine.

Arioch
02-01-10, 04:12 PM
There are still a few games I prefer to play on my PC with a 360 controller. The Tomb Raider franchise is definitely one of them.

agentkay
02-01-10, 04:29 PM
Removing controller support seems like a terrible idea.

IDK maybe they needed to do that to nail proper KB+M controls, if thats the case its gotta be done, solid KBM controls are a major priority on FPS on PC.

If they removed it for a silly reason I can understand when people get upset who wanted to use it but I'm almost 100% sure they removed it for a solid technical reason and maybe the 360 controls wouldn't even work with the HUD/UI system thats optimized for KBM and maybe its not that simple to have two different HUD/UI system working without issues in the game. HUD/UI systems are very critical and very often not the most flexible areas.

CaptNKILL
02-01-10, 05:19 PM
IDK maybe they needed to do that to nail proper KB+M controls, if thats the case its gotta be done, solid KBM controls are a major priority on FPS on PC.

If they removed it for a silly reason I can understand when people get upset who wanted to use it but I'm almost 100% sure they removed it for a solid technical reason and maybe the 360 controls wouldn't even work with the HUD/UI system thats optimized for KBM and maybe its not that simple to have two different HUD/UI system working without issues in the game. HUD/UI systems are very critical and very often not the most flexible areas.

We're talking about an extremely experienced game developer here. I'm sure they're more than capable of making a controller work in a game that they're designing.

It just seems strange to me that they would do something like this.

Still, the engine will still support controllers on some level (unless they really go to great lengths to remove all of that) so it probably won't be long before someone mods it back in.