PDA

View Full Version : downsampling

Pages : [1] 2

adamove
02-01-10, 01:10 PM
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,704139/Mass-Effect-2-Better-quality-with-downsampling-at-6400-x-3600-pixels/News/

just look at those pictures, downsamling its the way of the future for pc for sure, just imagine moded crysis downsampled and fully stable at 25fps it wiil blow your faking mind

:headexplode::headexplode::headexplode:

HiCZoK4
02-01-10, 01:13 PM
Isnt supersampling something similar to downsampling?

jlippo
02-01-10, 02:50 PM
Isnt supersampling something similar to downsampling?
Down sampling is a image size reduction method which has nothing to do with super sampling.
In this case tough they do render the image with higher resolution and then do downsampling/scale the image to fit smaller resolution of display device and thus they get what is essentially supersampling.

And yes, supersampling is sweet. ;)

just look at those pictures, downsamling its the way of the future for pc for sure, just imagine moded crysis downsampled and fully stable at 25fps it wiil blow your faking mind
Well, I did play crysis trough with 3x3 SSAA and yes it looked good.

|MaguS|
02-01-10, 07:25 PM
Supersampling and Downsampling are almost the same thing, except SS is done by the GPU and DS is done by the monitor.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_hraa.html

"Supersampling" is an antialiasing technique that is simply a brute-force approach and is used in NVIDIA's GeForce2 GPUs and other modern graphics processors. A graphics processor that uses supersampling renders the screen image at a much higher resolution than the current display mode, and then scales and filters the image to the final resolution before it is sent to the display.

Soetdjuret
02-02-10, 01:39 AM
just imagine moded crysis downsampled and fully stable at 25fps it wiil blow your faking mind

:headexplode::headexplode::headexplode:

Already exists.. and Yeah, SSAA is nice. But some ppl here seem to have hard to understand that.

Here's a custom map from crysis rendered in realtime using SSAA:

http://xmages.net/out.php/i170960_big01.jpg

kesker01
02-02-10, 07:25 AM
Any link for that map?

:beer:

turdhat
02-02-10, 07:39 AM
How does this work. Is there a console command to enable this ? Ini edit ?

Noriega
02-02-10, 07:54 AM
FAKE

It's a fake picture of UT3. There is no such a map in Crysis.

|MaguS|
02-02-10, 08:39 AM
FAKE

Actually no it is running on the CryEngine 2, Not Crysis though. It's also not running at 25fps or any playable fps at all.

JohnDio
02-02-10, 09:47 AM
Actually no it is running on the CryEngine 2, Not Crysis though. It's also not running at 25fps or any playable fps at all.

It's the Blade Runner project that some were working for a competition. And FYI, i've seen a screenshot with the framerate counter and it was 2fps. This is nowhere near to playable people, don't expect this kind of graphics to be playable anytime soon

Soetdjuret
02-02-10, 10:09 AM
Any link for that map?

:beer:

Unfortunately this map stayed with the project and was never published for the public.
How does this work. Is there a console command to enable this ? Ini edit ?
You need nHancer and a game running under dx9...

FAKE
Not fake... not rendered in unreal engine.

It sure are crysis ... just a custom map for it. And yes the performance was quite bad. Although with a fancy computer it might just run near 30 fps...

It's the Blade Runner project that some were working for a competition. And FYI, i've seen a screenshot with the framerate counter and it was 2fps. This is nowhere near to playable people, don't expect this kind of graphics to be playable anytime soon

(read post above your quote) AMD has already proven to max crysis out fully (including max AA in 22" resolution) with 100 fps so i believe it could handle that amount of lightsources, soft-particles and supersampling with somewhat decent fps...

bacon12
02-02-10, 11:33 AM
I looked into this earlier today. The only real documentation is in German, and there is a download for the monitor exe. I was gonna try it in Mass Effect 2 but don't feel like taking the risk and messing up my registry. I play several game AMT.

turdhat
02-02-10, 11:43 AM
I looked into this earlier today. The only real documentation is in German, and there is a download for the monitor exe. I was gonna try it in Mass Effect 2 but don't feel like taking the risk and messing up my registry. I play several game AMT.

HOw do you do this ? I would love to mess around with it.

bacon12
02-02-10, 11:56 AM
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php%3Ft%3D454129&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Let me know if it works and if you hose your system. :D

Links to the downloads x64 (http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34943&d=1242987058) x86 (http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34941&d=1242986684)

|MaguS|
02-02-10, 12:08 PM
Wonder what the performance would be like for a DS 4096x2304 at 2048x1152 would be like. :o

My system wont even accept the custom drivers, device manager lists it by the nv control panel still shows me monitor and it doesn't even list the scaling options.

Hercules
02-02-10, 12:51 PM
Might give a try on this. Although im running ATI ans 7 which i believe is not the best combination.

bacon12
02-02-10, 01:01 PM
Wonder what the performance would be like for a DS 4096x2304 at 2048x1152 would be like. :o

My system wont even accept the custom drivers, device manager lists it by the nv control panel still shows me monitor and it doesn't even list the scaling options.

Are you using the nvidia drivers that were listed in that page?

|MaguS|
02-02-10, 01:40 PM
Are you using the nvidia drivers that were listed in that page?

Yup. Using the 196.21. Main issue is that I don't get an option to force resizing by gpu or monitor, its locked out.

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39294&stc=1&d=1265139578

See it still lists my monitor there even though I installed the drivers and in device manager is shows my monitor as "Test".

DansFace
02-02-10, 01:43 PM
wouldn't performance be worse when you are having your GPU render an image at 2x the pixels of 1080p than just running 1080p with 4x AA?

DennisK4
02-02-10, 02:26 PM
wouldn't performance be worse when you are having your GPU render an image at 2x the pixels of 1080p than just running 1080p with 4x AA?

Actually running at 2x the resolution is 4x the pixels, so yes it much more demanding on the GPU. But 2x2 Supersampling AA (rendering at 2x the resolution) looks much, much better than 4x MSAA, so if your hardware is up to it....

JohnDio
02-02-10, 03:00 PM
(read post above your quote) AMD has already proven to max crysis out fully (including max AA in 22" resolution) with 100 fps so i believe it could handle that amount of lightsources, soft-particles and supersampling with somewhat decent fps...

Get your facts str8. This is NOT a custom map. It is scene for the competition "Scene from a Movie" (and you know it, for crying out loud you made the damn thread here). And you must be a fool to believe that any current computer (yeah even a 5970 crossfire PC) can handle the graphics of that Blade Runner screen

omzig
02-02-10, 03:03 PM
Should be cool for games that have no support for AA ingame or via CP/Hacks stuff like DeadSpace and timeshift

Ive had a quick play but untill theres some proper translation i cant see the point in taking stabs in the dark to get it to working hosting for the linked video tuts wont allow me to download anything has anyone here who's had a play had any results?

HiCZoK4
02-02-10, 03:15 PM
btw. turdhat for best avater ever !:D:D:D :lol2:

Soetdjuret
02-03-10, 12:52 AM
Get your facts str8. This is NOT a custom map. It is scene for the competition "Scene from a Movie" (and you know it, for crying out loud you made the damn thread here). And you must be a fool to believe that any current computer (yeah even a 5970 crossfire PC) can handle the graphics of that Blade Runner screen

Its fact, the map is a custom level of crysis made in the sandbox2, level creator kit for crysis. Even if its in a competition or not. And you must be a fool to talk alot of stuff u dont know and strongly believe in your fault.

dual 5970 could definitely run the bladerunner map at decent framerates.. its all a matter of settings. You just dont know about the raw powers of the 5970... i mean one 5870 beats gtx 280 by far, and one 5970 is twice as fast as the 5870, and two 5970 would mean 6 or 7 times faster than gtx 280. And one gtx 280 can do 2x2 without bigger problems. So go figure and next time you talk.. back it up with something that makes sense!

crainger
02-03-10, 01:25 AM
Guys, lets move past the Blade Runner map and focus on downsampling and how to do it. Would be cool for older games where 32xAA just isn't enough :;):