PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good X58 Motherboard...

Pages : [1] 2

Yaboze
02-02-10, 11:13 AM
I was looking at the EVGA X58's, they have a triple and quad SLI board, but I just want a regular SLI board, full speed in each if possible.

I have had 2 Asus and they are good but I may want to change it up this time.

I plan to get a i7 920 and get the stuff from Microcenter.

I just don't know what the difference is between all of these EVGA boards, Classified, LE, etc...

Microcenter has one for $199 and a i7 920 for $229.00

Dr.Nick
02-02-10, 01:37 PM
I don't recommend the evga x58 LE (757) board. It was the first I grabbed from MC and it was nothing but trouble. The bios is what seems to be an absolute mess on it; super slow boot time and the freakin thing has to do a complete shutdown just to restart. It also runs hotter than hell for some reason and made a weird high pitched squeal from around the cpu socket. I tried two and they were both the same:(
In this price range I suggest you look at the gigabyte ud3r or asus p6t. They may not look as nice but I think you will be much happier with one of those.

Edit- Before I get eaten alive for dissing evga I want to say that their more expensive boards do not have much in common with the LE and are much better (the 758 for example)

DiscipleDOC
02-02-10, 01:45 PM
I love my Asus Rampage II Extreme board. It's the best board I've owned. It is easy to overclock. :thumbsup:

Yaboze
02-02-10, 02:13 PM
Hmm, never owned a Gigabyte. I like Asus, but they seem to just abandon MB's after a while and not update BIOS files.

Snake101st
02-02-10, 02:41 PM
Ive had absolutely no problems with my ASRocks X58 Extreme. Even compared to my friends' asus P6T, its a great mobo- good oc'ing, no bs features that run up the price, regular bios updates, etc.

Read some reviews and youll see that its a great mobo, especially for the price.

methimpikehoses
02-02-10, 04:05 PM
My evga x58 sli board has been rock solid.

bob saget
02-02-10, 04:13 PM
Gigabyte UD3 or UD4P (if you can find 'em). Not sure, but the UD3 should have full speed SLi. The UD4 and UD5 definitely do.

FlakMagnet
02-02-10, 04:24 PM
Love my ASUS P6T Deluxe V2! Great overclocker (like most X58 mobos I suspect). Have had zero issues with it and am running CPU @3.6GHz and RAM @1440MHz.

Great board, but I don't have another to compare it to.

Dr.Nick
02-02-10, 04:59 PM
Looking around some more the best board at about $200 seems to be the gigabyte ud3r. Ask them to price match newegg at $209 and use the $20 rebate from MC. It even has usb 3 and sata 3. if you don't want the new one with usb/sata 3 you can get it without for $173 after rebate. Not bad imho.
But even though MC has great prices make sure to look online for lower ones before hitting the store. I shaved almost $150 off my bill

bob saget
02-02-10, 05:05 PM
Looking around some more the best board at about $200 seems to be the gigabyte ud3r. Ask them to price match newegg at $209 and use the $20 rebate from MC. It even has usb 3 and sata 3. if you don't want the new one with usb/sata 3 you can get it without for $173 after rebate. Not bad imho.
But even though MC has great prices make sure to look online for lower ones before hitting the store. I shaved almost $150 off my bill

yep. it's VERY popular.

Revs
02-02-10, 05:14 PM

I think my S2F has died so I've just been checking out what's available. Not only does it look a good value board, it's the only one I can find that would accommodate my sound card. Prolly end up getting this if I do go the i7 route.

Revs
02-02-10, 05:19 PM
Gigabyte UD3 or UD4P (if you can find 'em). Not sure, but the UD3 should have full speed SLi. The UD4 and UD5 definitely do.

From what I read the Latest BIOS enables SLi.

Dr.Nick
02-02-10, 06:02 PM
Sorry to hear Revs:( You can probably rma that board and save some $$ but if you are going to upgrade the i7 is killer and you wont regret it. Pretty insane sound card too, that's nuts

As for the gigabyte, all their x58's have been updated to support sli and cf. Tho looking at the older version of the ud3r i notice it only has four mem slots which is very-very weird for an x58. The new version has the norm six slots which is the best way to go imo

lee63
02-02-10, 06:13 PM
Evga Classified is the way to go...best board I've ever owned ;)

Revs
02-02-10, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear Revs:( You can probably rma that board and save some $$ but if you are going to upgrade the i7 is killer and you wont regret it. Pretty insane sound card too, that's nuts

As for the gigabyte, all their x58's have been updated to support sli and cf. Tho looking at the older version of the ud3r i notice it only has four mem slots which is very-very weird for an x58. The new version has the norm six slots which is the best way to go imo

Yeah it's a bummer. It won't post with anything in memory slots 3 or 4 so no more DDR2 :o. As for the 4 slots; I hadn't noticed that, but it will still run 3 x 2Gb sticks at 2000Mhz in tri-channel which will do for me :). Just gonna check out some reviews.

I really can't afford this though ATM after shelling out on this sound card and a new amp. I'm wondering whether to just get another S2F to keep me going and save some cash. It's been a great board until this.

SteveC
02-02-10, 09:15 PM
Another vote for the Gigabyte UD4P, about the UD3R not sure if they have released a revision so that SLI is standard, however, there is a BIOS update that does indeed enable SLI so something to consider if you don't want to flash your BIOS. Also something to consider is the UD3R has a max of 16GB of memory supported, another thing to take into account if you are big into overclocking and such.

On edit, I'm not sure they even make the UD4P anymore....so I guess this post is useless LOL.

bob saget
02-02-10, 09:39 PM
Another vote for the Gigabyte UD4P, about the UD3R not sure if they have released a revision so that SLI is standard, however, there is a BIOS update that does indeed enable SLI so something to consider if you don't want to flash your BIOS. Also something to consider is the UD3R has a max of 16GB of memory supported, another thing to take into account if you are big into overclocking and such.

On edit, I'm not sure they even make the UD4P anymore....so I guess this post is useless LOL.

yea its too bad they dont make 'em anymore.

Serrasalmus
02-03-10, 11:46 AM
my v1.0 evga x58 tri sli board is kickin ass still....i got it all wc'ed and aint had any trouble yet...

Dr.Nick
02-04-10, 10:27 AM
Yeah it's a bummer. It won't post with anything in memory slots 3 or 4 so no more DDR2 :o. As for the 4 slots; I hadn't noticed that, but it will still run 3 x 2Gb sticks at 2000Mhz in tri-channel which will do for me :). Just gonna check out some reviews.

I really can't afford this though ATM after shelling out on this sound card and a new amp. I'm wondering whether to just get another S2F to keep me going and save some cash. It's been a great board until this.

:(It should have a three year warranty; rma it if you can and save your cash. i7 is nice but it wont blow you away upgrading from that rig

Revs
02-04-10, 11:00 AM
:(It should have a three year warranty; rma it if you can and save your cash. i7 is nice but it wont blow you away upgrading from that rig

It is under warranty but the RMA can take from 30-90 days, so I've just ordered my new bits :D. I went for;

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Mobo, seems to be the best PCB layout and VFM for my needs
i7 920 D0 CPU
Corsair 3x2Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 7-7-7-20 Memory

If Asus send me back a working mobo I've no shortage of mates that will be interested in my old bits, so I can put whatever I get towards the new bits. If not I'll put em in the FS forum. I was going to upgrade to i7 later this year anyhow. Now's not the best timing but I ain't going without a rig for months, no effing way :lol:.

Gonna have to go through the PITA of reinstalling everything and learning how to OC the i7, but I know I'll enjoy it really :D

Muppet
02-05-10, 12:02 AM
It is under warranty but the RMA can take from 30-90 days, so I've just ordered my new bits :D. I went for;

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Mobo, seems to be the best PCB layout and VFM for my needs
i7 920 D0 CPU
Corsair 3x2Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 7-7-7-20 Memory

If Asus send me back a working mobo I've no shortage of mates that will be interested in my old bits, so I can put whatever I get towards the new bits. If not I'll put em in the FS forum. I was going to upgrade to i7 later this year anyhow. Now's not the best timing but I ain't going without a rig for months, no effing way :lol:.

Gonna have to go through the PITA of reinstalling everything and learning how to OC the i7, but I know I'll enjoy it really :D

The UD5 is an excellant motherboard. It is pretty much identical to my Extreme, except for the Northbridge Watercooling Heatsink.

mizzer
02-05-10, 09:23 AM
Tomorrow I will build my new rig. I picked the EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED 3-Way SLI (link) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188048) for my motherboard.
My brother and brother-in-law both have EVGA boards. I am impressed by the build quality and features but most impressed by EVGA's customer service. Several times my brothers contacted EVGA and each time they spoke to a real person. And they weren't asking to RMA the board or to troubleshoot a problem. They were asking about bios settings and general set-up issues to get the most out of their system. The tech guys spent as much time as they needed, never seemed rushed, and always asked if there was anything else they could help with before hanging up. THAT is what finally brought me to EVGA.

Also, the price was nice.

I was able to get 15% Bing Cashback plus $30MIR for the board through Circuit City (Tiger Direct by a different name). $389 - 15% ($58) - $30MIR = ~$300. For the price, features, and customer service I felt it couldn't be beat. I also looked at the Rampage II Extreme. Nice board. The only hardware feature that had potential to lure me away from the EVGA Classified was the X-Fi card. Then, when I found out that audio processing was software based I went with the EVGA board.

EVGA Classified 3X SLI
Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 6GB
Core i7 920 D0

Still, it's not together yet. But I have high hopes for an excellent build. :thumbsup:

methimpikehoses
02-05-10, 09:41 AM
edit

DiscipleDOC
02-05-10, 10:23 AM
Tomorrow I will build my new rig. I picked the EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED 3-Way SLI (link) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188048) for my motherboard.
My brother and brother-in-law both have EVGA boards. I am impressed by the build quality and features but most impressed by EVGA's customer service. Several times my brothers contacted EVGA and each time they spoke to a real person. And they weren't asking to RMA the board or to troubleshoot a problem. They were asking about bios settings and general set-up issues to get the most out of their system. The tech guys spent as much time as they needed, never seemed rushed, and always asked if there was anything else they could help with before hanging up. THAT is what finally brought me to EVGA.

Also, the price was nice.

I was able to get 15% Bing Cashback plus $30MIR for the board through Circuit City (Tiger Direct by a different name). $389 - 15% ($58) - $30MIR = ~$300. For the price, features, and customer service I felt it couldn't be beat. I also looked at the Rampage II Extreme. Nice board. The only hardware feature that had potential to lure me away from the EVGA Classified was the X-Fi card. Then, when I found out that audio processing was software based I went with the EVGA board.

EVGA Classified 3X SLI
Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 6GB
Core i7 920 D0

Still, it's not together yet. But I have high hopes for an excellent build. :thumbsup:

Mizzer, I had much fun building my current rig. I really did stay up all night putting this thing together and tweaking the heck out of it. ;)

mizzer
02-05-10, 12:05 PM
Mizzer, I had much fun building my current rig. I really did stay up all night putting this thing together and tweaking the heck out of it. ;)

I was really leaning hard toward the Rampage II board but then my brother got the Classified. From the reviews I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either board.

My brothers are coming over tomorrow morning to help me put it all together. It's gonna be a good time. :thumbsup:

FWIW: My brother has a "golden chip" 920. He's able to run it at stock volts overclocked at 4.2 with HT on. Although I'm not as "enthusiast" as he I'd still like to see what my set-up can do. :)