PDA

View Full Version : America's Army 3 cpu limited? It's kicking my 939 rig's arse.

ragejg
02-02-10, 06:44 PM
I figured America's Army 3 would run great on my desk rig (939 x2 2.4, 3gb RAM, HD3850 OC'ed) @ 1280x1024. But the performance with no AA and 8xAF is a lot lower than I though it'd be. With all in-game settings at medium I was getting 15-30fps.

What should I turn down to get better performance? Or is my cpu just holding me back on this game?

hawkeyefan
02-02-10, 09:55 PM
I figured America's Army 3 would run great on my desk rig (939 x2 2.4, 3gb RAM, HD3850 OC'ed) @ 1280x1024. But the performance with no AA and 8xAF is a lot lower than I though it'd be. With all in-game settings at medium I was getting 15-30fps.

What should I turn down to get better performance? Or is my cpu just holding me back on this game?

Isn't AA3 just coded like crap? I tried it for a couple weeks when it first came out and it was unplayable because of bugginess.

ragejg
02-02-10, 10:03 PM
Seems to be coded ok to me. But I'm no coder. :p

Could those of you that use this game please tell me what kind of fps you're getting? I'm especially interested in those with older or lower speed dual core setups.

My HD3850 ran Gears of War, another Unreal Engine 3 title, completely smooth @ medium/high settings @ 1080i (1920x1080i, 30hz) with just a stock x2 3800. So I know this setup should be able to handle Unreal Engine 3....

I'll try it on my Phenom x3/4870 setup. I'm sure it'll be a night and day difference, but still, the older rig still should be able to at least somewhat manhandle this title @ this not-so-high resolution with no AA & only 8xAF.

gulizard
02-03-10, 12:36 AM
Seems to be coded ok to me. But I'm no coder. :p

Could those of you that use this game please tell me what kind of fps you're getting? I'm especially interested in those with older or lower speed dual core setups.

My HD3850 ran Gears of War, another Unreal Engine 3 title, completely smooth @ medium/high settings @ 1080i (1920x1080i, 30hz) with just a stock x2 3800. So I know this setup should be able to handle Unreal Engine 3....

I'll try it on my Phenom x3/4870 setup. I'm sure it'll be a night and day difference, but still, the older rig still should be able to at least somewhat manhandle this title @ this not-so-high resolution with no AA & only 8xAF.

It isn't your CPU. The game looks nothing like it was suppose to look to begin with. In fact right now all I can tell that they did was upgrade it to the Unreal Engine 3, it is very poorly coded. I have a 260 and a super sweet rig, and I couldn't get the game to run smooth at all. Sometimes it was fine, but others it would go to 10 FPS, sometimes lower. It was very buggy, and had some horrible coding, and I recently played it so its not like this was an out dated version. This was as of like last week. I tried several of the maps including the indoor scenes. The smoke would cause 1-2FPS and the fix was minimizing and preying you didn't crash.

I am a veteran of the original AA with a 80+ honor account in it, but this game is just a buggy disaster. I have a magazine showing off screenshots of AA3, and let me tell you those screenshots look nothing like this game at all, in fact the map they take them on isn't even the game that I could find. They updated the lighting a bit, and AA must be forced for me, I was unable to get it to work without downloading a third party program and forcing it the same way you have to do for some other Unreal Engine 3 games. So it isn't the PC, its just the crappy coding of the game. Its the US Army we are dealing with so I am sure that they will get it sorted, but as of right now its pretty buggy both graphically, optimization, and in-game characteristic's, such as the training, and other in-game features.

The first AA that came out I got a disc for it by radio shack, it was free. It was buggy to, and year or so later it was completely optimized and running great. Expect the same here.

ragejg
02-03-10, 08:43 AM
I set the media rig to 12x10, 8xAF, medium detail, weapon blur off & got 58fps avg.

Then I tried my LCD TV's native 60hz rez of 1280x720, 8xAF with everything on high, weapon blur on & got 58fps.

And then I set it to 1920x1080i, 8xAF with everything @ high, weapon blur on... and still got 58fps average.

vsync was always off btw.

Running the same map on the older rig (I didn't have FRAPS installed but ATI Tray tools has an FPS counter) I got probably 29 avg, a high of 45, with frequent dips down to as low as 19. Oh and just to help it out a little I turned AF down to 2x.

I think I can tweak a little more and get solid ~40fps gameplay out of the rig, but it's apparent that some settings will (ugh!!) have to be @ low.

I hate to admit it bu the desk rig is gonna start acting its age more and more these days.