PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks. Are those... good?... vs PSP

Pages : [1] 2

HiCZoK4
02-03-10, 09:14 AM
Situation is like this. Next week I was suppose to go get myself a Psp. I mainly would use it in bed, for gaming and watching movies, bit of browsing net. And offcourse on the train. I spend 2(or more) hours in train every day so You see situation.

But light bulb got over my head .... (NETBOOK)... !!!
Now what about it? It cost more (almost twice) but maybe its worth spending more on it...?
Those Netbooks easily fit in backback which I have with me all the time.

Now again. I would like to use it for bed time. Movies. Browsing internet and entertainment.

And now I have hard time choosing what to get. As Netbook I will not go for anything better than cheaper Acer models.

Beside entertainment. Is it possible to work in excel or office with such a small screen?

Just tell me Your mind. Netbook vs PSP

newparad1gm
02-03-10, 09:58 AM
Umm, you can't really compare the two. The PSP will play PSP games, and the netbook will be able to play old PC games.

The PSP really isn't suited to browsing the internet. Yes, it has a browser, but you'll be forced to use the on screen keyboard, and there isn't any flash or even good Javascript support. Plus any website with lots of images will quickly exceed the PSP's memory and make browsing slow.

Same thing with movies. For the PSP, you'll either have to buy UMD movies, which have been discontinued, or have to convert everything you want to watch into formats that the PSP supports at the correct PSP screen resolution. There is software that lets you do this though, but it takes time to convert, and you have to do it for everything that you want to watch on the PSP. Plus you'll also need lots and lots of Sony Pro Duo memory cards to store all that media, as the PSP itself has no storage.

If you get a PSP, just use it to play PSP games. If you want to do browsing and other stuff, get a netbook.

HiCZoK4
02-03-10, 12:56 PM
lets say netbook comes with linux system.
Can I just install Xp from pendrive?
And how do they give me drivers? Do I have to download them myself?

HiCZoK4
02-03-10, 01:01 PM
You serious? I can't install what I want or reinstall stock os?!
Or You talking about driver support?

Maverick123w
02-03-10, 01:35 PM
If you get an ion powered netbook you should be able to do some light gaming.

frenchy2k1
02-03-10, 01:38 PM
you can always install whatever you want. If you change the OS to an unsupported one, the drivers will be your problem to find. Netbooks are just low power computers. Not "underpowered", mind you... they are just the equivalent of desktops about 5~8 years ago.

So, do not expect great video or gaming capabilities, but you are trading it for portability and battery life.

If video or gaming is important to you, and your budget extensible, you can try to get an nvidia ION netbook. The integrated video makes a world of difference from what i've heard, all in the same package.

HiCZoK4
02-03-10, 01:39 PM
No... those are too expensive. I can only afford cheap asus or acer netbooks or I will get psp.

But adventure 2d games should work?
Guess games like HL2 are impossible?

HiCZoK4
02-03-10, 01:58 PM
I will have to rethink this. Overall netbok is computer and psp i console.
Usability vs fun.
I think there is nothing more to be said:P

But If I will hunt for Netbook. I will just get XP supported. One. Standard definition videos should work, its not Like I am hurting it with HD+web browsing is big Pros. I am tired of learning nowadays and my brain is not working. Just one more exam tomorrow (****ing math) and I can finally get some sleep and relax. (As to finally see my gf again :bleh:)

Then I will think about it with fresh mind.

But offcourse You are clear to discuss topic :D:D

XDanger
02-03-10, 02:15 PM
Will a cheap netbook run GTA Vice City?

Q
02-03-10, 02:54 PM
Will a cheap netbook run GTA Vice City?

Barely.

I've played Vice City on Intel graphics a few years ago. It ran at like 800 x 600 - lowest settings - and still barely hit the low teens WRT FPS.

nekrosoft13
02-03-10, 03:16 PM
You serious? I can't install what I want or reinstall stock os?!
Or You talking about driver support?

not all netbooks are x86 compatible

HiCZoK4
02-03-10, 03:51 PM
I know its not for games. I will want to get it to school (to do office and web browsing), to bed to do web\movies\maybe some bed time adventure games :D

Maverick123w
02-03-10, 03:55 PM
My wife's Asus 1005ha is pretty great. Though playing any game made in the last decade would be pretty hard.

HiCZoK4
02-03-10, 04:55 PM
Psp is alike ****ty console
Netbooks are ****ty laptops

:D:D:D I am leaning toward Netbook I think. I can use it for much more tasks

nekrosoft13
02-03-10, 05:09 PM
after i sell my dell laptop, i will probably buy a Asus netbook with tablet multitouch screen.

Vincentx77
02-04-10, 12:42 AM
It is worth mentioning that if you get an older PSP that is capable of running custom firmware it will be able to do extra things, like run emulators and various other pieces of homebrew software. It does add a lot of usability into the PSP, including some support for youtube. It's far from perfect, and obviously there are lots of things that the netbook will do better. Playing games won't be one of them, though, so it is something to consider.

HiCZoK4
02-04-10, 08:11 AM
Yes. I do now that psp can do homebrew software. Like installing another web browser or YT support and other systems emulation.
And if I would be getting psp. This is main thing for me. And its very hard to find psp 3000 that is moddable. Most of news psp are nonmodable as far as I know.
So its quite a risk buying psp nowadays and hoping it is less than version 5.03.

Offcourse unmodded is also great. I saw some great bundles with good games almost for free,

But netbook is netbook. No risk getting that. And its much more usefull than entertainment which psp is. So I have to rethink about what I need.

I was also thinking about Ipod Touch for a minute. It is priced between those. Have nice games and defienietly better internet browser than PSP.

a12ctic
02-04-10, 08:44 AM
You can get AMD Neo based netbooks (with 11.6 inch screens) for ~425$. The 3200 is pretty capable for light gaming, especially at low resolutions.

HiCZoK4
02-04-10, 09:29 AM
Those are hard to get in Poland. Also becouse of this I guess those are quite expensive.

snowmanwithahat
02-04-10, 09:54 AM
My wife's Asus 1005ha is pretty great. Though playing any game made in the last decade would be pretty hard.

True story. They're horrible for gaming but if you're looking at buying a netbook for anything more than casual web browsing, taking notes, or flash games then you're looking at the wrong product

HiCZoK4
02-04-10, 10:29 AM
Yeah Bandit, I guess so that gaming=psp

But what do You say for Ipod touch2g vs netbook vs psp ?
I remind that I am looking for WiFi poratble "thing" that is usefull and entertaining. Kinda like a Portable fight

I started considering ipod touch 2g. Watched some reviews. it seems like good video, mp3 player and web browsing seems to be cool and not slow at all. And its sure more portable than netbook and psp.
Can I just copy all the music and movies to ipod via pc?

Ohhh. One important question I forgot. Wi-FI at my university require downloading certificate to gain wi-fi network access. Can I do it on Ipod or Psp?

What do you say? Please continue. Your every opinion matters to me :) :D

Yaboze
02-04-10, 10:42 AM
Get an iPad.

About a 10" screen, plays all the iPhone/Ipod touch games (some are excellent), has Wi-fi or 3G, small, great web surfer, does e-mail, you can get skype on it, facebook etc. It plays music and video.

Might be a litle more (close to $500) but it's perfect for what you want to do.

HiCZoK4
02-04-10, 12:51 PM
Referring to my question from previevous site. Does other video streaming sites works on Ipod Touch? Like gamespot, gametrailers or screwattack?

snowmanwithahat
02-04-10, 02:55 PM
Zune HD

a12ctic
02-05-10, 07:10 PM
Referring to my question from previevous site. Does other video streaming sites works on Ipod Touch? Like gamespot, gametrailers or screwattack?

No flash, so no, probably not.