PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on GTA: Vice City after a couple of days

rokzy
07-06-03, 08:17 AM
I'm 20% into the game. I have GTA3 which was great but crippled by appalling performance.

GTA:VC has much better performance - generally ~80 FPS at max settings (no AA/AF) and ~40 FPS (4AA/16AF). And it looks great too.

the radio stations in GTA3 were amazing, I'd just drive around causing mayhem listening to good music or funny chat. In GTA: VC there's some great songs, but the chat shows don't seem as funny. Most annoyingly is the repetition; when just messing about, getting busted or wasted every couple of minutes, the radio stations rewind a few minutes too, meaning I end up listening to the EXACT same thing over and over.

riding motorbikes/knocking other people off motorbikes is great. plus the weight control for jumps/wheelies is good. but I don't get any wheelies in my stats - is it only for cars?

the voice acting is good. Being Ray Liota is great since I coincidentally watched Goodfellas a few days before getting the game. I haven't noticed who Dennis Hopper or Burt Reynolds are supposed to be.

the new weapons are good, and the improved performance means they're all usable. Aiming in GTA3 was crap.

the helicopter bomb plant mission for Avery is terible. I haven't done it yet. I tried a couple of times but it seems like it's following the rule book of how to crate a crap level:

awkward controls + awkward camera + time limit = not fun at all

plus the helicopter blowing dust on the ground is the only thing that causes slowdown, so it gets really annoying.

I've had a few really annoying crashes after completing a mission.

the ability to buy property is really good.

some non-bypassable cut scenes are annoying eg. the Love Fist "Speed" limo introduction
(plus the psycho should be dead anyway, I chased him into an alley and shot him point blank with machine gun, drove straight back to Love Fist and in those few seconds he got better and made more threats?)

the way you get busted can be annoying; if I'm standing in the open they'll try to beat or shoot me and I can do whatever I want, but the moment I'm in a car/bike all they have to do is stand next to me and it's "game over".

saving cars in garages is good, it would be better if you could save guns and ammo in an armoury too, like at my mansion (Diaz's).

I've tried driving the cherry popper van around but the jingle doesn't play when I press shift. do you have to park in specific areas?

I think it would be better if when you get busted on 1 star (cops only try to beat, not shoot), you just get an on-the-spot fine (cf Mafia). losing all weapons and being taken to a police station over a stupid car crash is annoying and imo unrealistic.

Is Tommy a rip-off of Bruce Willis in Unbreakable? - amazingly tough super-hero but water takes away his powers? I can jump off buildings and only lose 5% health, but step in a puddle and I die? You should definitely be able to swim. When you drive into water, you health counts down and you die, what's the point if you can't do anything about it? Either kill me instantly, or let me use the time to get out the car and try to swim to the surface ffs. I'd much rather have this, I'd even sacrifice being a little less tough about falls of buildings and from vehicles, plus I'd accept losing heavy weapons to not be weighed down.

rokzy
07-06-03, 08:37 AM
I have draw distance on max but there's still loads of pop-up

LbSoDB
07-06-03, 09:33 AM
I've tried driving the cherry popper van around but the jingle doesn't play when I press shift. do you have to park in specific areas?
I had similar problem. Go back to CHerry Poppers after driving around and there's another truck. Just switch to the new one. That helped me out. Also try tapping the horn button a few times.

Good luck.

vampireuk
07-06-03, 10:35 AM
There are too many flaws in GTA all together, a gang opens fire on me so I defend myself. The cops come after me, a cop attacks a gang and gets shot at, I come to his aid and kill the gang and what does he do? Ignore them and come after me:rolleyes:

rokzy
07-06-03, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
There are too many flaws in GTA all together, a gang opens fire on me so I defend myself. The cops come after me, a cop attacks a gang and gets shot at, I come to his aid and kill the gang and what does he do? Ignore them and come after me:rolleyes:

I've seen a cop chase a guy, so I beat him up and got an award for being a good citizen, but it's not worth the hassle for $50 since hand to hand fighting is inaccurate and sluggish so you'll probably hit the cop by accident and end up getting shot.

CHEVYMAN_02
07-06-03, 11:19 AM
I thought that is was a great game. The motorcycles are the best. You are able to do wheelies/stoppies which cool as heck. The graphics look better than GTA III and there is a lot more stuff that you can do in Vice CIty than you could do in GTA III. You can spend money on more than just guns in Vice City.

adv1
07-06-03, 12:25 PM
I agree with some of your points -

The radio is repetitive, non-bypassable cut scenes are annoying, getting busted in vehicles is frustrating, not being able to swim is stupid, the draw distance of vehicles/pedestrians is disappointing..

-but despite all these problems, I still enjoy playing Vice City more than almost any other PC game I've played, so I can live with it not being totally perfect :)

digitalwanderer
07-06-03, 01:09 PM
The car stat editor just gives the game infinite replay value for me, I LOVE giving the motorcycle about 10x the mass of a garbage truck and putting a rocket engine in it.

800mph plowing everything FLYING out of your way is a very strange thrill.... :)

I haven't checked the mod scene for VC lately, a few weeks ago it was just starting to crank out stuff. You can find everything you need to mod the hell out of VC over at Vice City HQ (http://vicecity.gta3hq.com). (It's the same fine folk who brought us all www.gta3hq.com ;) )

The game might have some faults, but it was sooo much FUN!!! :D

rokzy
07-06-03, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
The car stat editor just gives the game infinite replay value for me, I LOVE giving the motorcycle about 10x the mass of a garbage truck and putting a rocket engine in it.

800mph plowing everything FLYING out of your way is a very strange thrill.... :)

that would be like The Matrix Reloaded where Neo's flying to Trinity with all the cars and stuff swirling around in his wake :)

rokzy
07-06-03, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by LbSoDB
I had similar problem. Go back to CHerry Poppers after driving around and there's another truck. Just switch to the new one. That helped me out. Also try tapping the horn button a few times.

Good luck.

Yeah that worked thanks. I did about 42 sales just driving round outside Vercetti Estate

rokzy
07-06-03, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by adv1
I agree with some of your points -

The radio is repetitive, non-bypassable cut scenes are annoying, getting busted in vehicles is frustrating, not being able to swim is stupid, the draw distance of vehicles/pedestrians is disappointing..

-but despite all these problems, I still enjoy playing Vice City more than almost any other PC game I've played, so I can live with it not being totally perfect :)

yeah it's amazingly fun despite all the little annoyances. shame Rockstar is such a **** of a company and the probability of getting a patch with some of these things added is nil.

nin_fragile14
07-06-03, 01:51 PM
This game was tedious beyond belief. I beat about 7 missions before I quit.

rokzy
07-06-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
This game was tedious beyond belief. I beat about 7 missions before I quit.

troll

nin_fragile14
07-06-03, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by rokzy
troll

Sorry, but that's what I thought. GTA 3 was fresh; being able to do anything you wanted was a breath of fresh air amid all the linear games that are inexorably released every month. However, after playing for a few days, it became apparent how tiring the GTA formula is: drive around city, receive delivery/assasination/run away mission and repeat. It was mission after mission of monotony, and with the lack of save-anywhere, it became mind-numbingly frustrating performing tasks that required travelling to all three cities, only to die seconds before completing it. The freedom was great, as was the violence, but the the game became tedious after a while.

Then came Vice City. New setting, same game. Sure, the graphics and atmosphere changed a bit, but the core of the game is identical to GTA 3, and I was sick of that more than a year ago. I certainly see the appeal of Grand Theft Auto, but Vice City couldn't hold my interest beyond 7 or 8 missions, as I originally said.

adv1
07-06-03, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
Then came Vice City. New setting, same game. Sure, the graphics and atmosphere changed a bit, but the core of the game is identical to GTA 3, and I was sick of that more than a year ago. I certainly see the appeal of Grand Theft Auto, but Vice City couldn't hold my interest beyond 7 or 8 missions, as I originally said. Sorry, I have to disagree, whereas the missions in GTA3 did get samey after a while, I've been impressed with Vice and how varied the missions are. Most of them feel quite different and cleverly thought out.

Just some of the missions have included : taking an elevator up to an office floor and riding across rooftops on a bike to reposition a spotlight, ramming a criminal off the road to steal his briefcase, flying/driving remote controlled vehicles, shooting out shop windows to intimidate local businesses, blowing up buildings, taking photos, drive-by shootings, stealing speedboats, entering street races, assassinating crime bosses, storming a mansion, busting criminals out of prison; not to mention being a taxi driver/pizza boy/cop/ambulance driver/ice cream truck driver etc.

It really is a far better gaming experience than GTA3 and the new vehicles eg. helicopters and especially motorbikes add a whole lot more to the game. I got tired of GTA3 also and I never finished it, but all the additions and improvements of Vice mean I'm still enjoying playing through it, despite a few minor annoyances. In my opinion there's actually more variety in Vice City than virtually any other PC game.

The Baron
07-06-03, 08:20 PM
Vice City feels like an expansion pack, not a new game.... but that's just me.

Kickass expansion pack, though.

yoladude
07-09-03, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by rokzy
I have draw distance on max but there's still loads of pop-up
u have to turn frame limiter on to eliminate this.....and trust me, i know how ugly it looks going from 60+ fps to 30, but you'll get used to it, and the popup doesn't happen (the popup annoyed the hell outta me, especially when i crashed into a tree that hadn't appeared yet).

i really wish they'd make a patch so that u could keep frame limiter off. it looks soooooooo much nicer.

yoladude
07-09-03, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

I haven't checked the mod scene for VC lately, a few weeks ago it was just starting to crank out stuff. You can find everything you need to mod the hell out of VC over at Vice City HQ (http://vicecity.gta3hq.com). (It's the same fine folk who brought us all www.gta3hq.com ;) )

The game might have some faults, but it was sooo much FUN!!! :D

dude......there's a car stat editor? WHERE?

RAY16
07-09-03, 10:24 AM
I'm 20% into the game. I have GTA3 which was great but crippled by appalling performance.

I didn't have any frame rate problems on my Athlon XP 2000+ & GeForce 3 Ti-200. The only thing that ever made my frame rate drop was lots of explosions (like 10 at a time, but after it went right back up), and HD swapping (256Megs RAM + WinXP = HD swapping)

saturnotaku
07-09-03, 01:01 PM
I didn't have any performance problems in GTA3 as long as I didn't enable AA or AF with my Ti4600. Then my framerate would shoot straight down the crapper. But with my R3xx based cards I've had no problems running either GTA3 or Vice City at 1280 with AA and AF enabled.

betterdan
07-15-03, 06:43 PM
I had no problems with GTA 3 on my other machine (P4 1.6, 512 ddram and a geforce 3) but I only play Vice City on my new machine as it looks a lot better and is a lot more fun.