PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Need Assistance - Video Problems

Rishel
07-06-03, 09:33 AM
Hello everyone, thank you for letting me join.

I have upgraded my system lately, and am having some pretty wild problems.

I currently have an XP2500+ with 512 megs of RAM, the motherboard is an MSI KT4V 8xagp, and I have an Nvidia FX5200 video card.

The video is really messed up.

We have replaced the motherboard 3 times, the video card 4 times, tested the memory, and CPU, all appear to check out.

The system has dots all over windows, at differnt intervals, game play is even worse, odd colors, dots, rainbow colored circles, directx shows lines, and weird walls of grey tones you cant see through ( even though in a game there is really no wall there ).

On bootup the text even telling us about the bios, has pinkish lines through it, and the window splash screen has white line rips going through it.

This is all very very odd.

Does anyone know anything of what is going on here?

Power supply? Video Drivers? ( we have updated the drivers to the lastest, and the system bios is up to date ).

The operating system is windows xp, with all patches updates, and DirectX 9.

We tried to cover every obstable we could think of, but we are completely lost now.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

The Baron
07-06-03, 09:54 AM
I blame either heat or the power supply.

Rishel
07-06-03, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the response bro, I can use all the help we can get.

That was my next question: case and power supply? I am really wondering about this.

The CPU is not overclocked at all, bone stock, with the AMD fan that came with the processor.

I wish it was just a case issue.

The case is one of the last pieces I have not yet touched. I dont want to just arbitrarily blame it on the case, but could it be a power supply issue?

The Baron
07-06-03, 10:24 AM
Well, you mentioned this:
On bootup the text even telling us about the bios, has pinkish lines through it, and the window splash screen has white line rips going through it.
If it does it at bootup, it's probably not heat, since it hasn't actually gotten hot yet. But, yes, a faulty PSU could definitely cause those symptoms.

Rishel
07-06-03, 10:34 AM
Check this out, this is a screenshot, less than 6k so it wont take long to load.

saturnotaku
07-06-03, 11:01 AM
You've never actually mentioned what PSU you have. What brand/wattage is it? If it's one that came with a generic case you purchased, the PSU is very well where the problem will lie.

Go to your local parts seller and pick up a 350W Antec, Enermax or other name brand power supply and install it and you can be reasonably assured your problems will go away.

Rishel
07-06-03, 11:10 AM
Its definitely a generic case.

Its a generic Power supply: Tiger Pro is the name on it.

Yes I am heading to CompUSA to pick up an Antec case and power supply today.

I just noticed its a 300watt power supply.

I have a CDR, DVD, Floppy, Hard Drive, multiple network cards, and more.

eyeguy616
07-06-03, 11:20 AM
Could it be the moniter? Have you tried it on other systems? Truly odd....

~eyeguy616

p0lish_p0w3r
07-06-03, 01:07 PM
i am thinking the monitor is to be blamed here

Rishel
07-06-03, 01:19 PM
The problems are also on every other test bench and monitor we tested, 3 different monitors.

I just got back from CompUSA, and picked up an Antec Case and an Antec Power Supply.

Going offline now to transfer everything over.

Will post results shortly.

IISquintsII
07-06-03, 03:22 PM
Was it really neccesary to replace the case?

Rishel
07-06-03, 05:11 PM
Whew weee.

Picked up a new Antec case and power supply.

All errors fixed, works like a total champ. No apparent annomalies thus far.

:angel:

GlowStick
07-06-03, 05:17 PM
Great news!

I have never seen such with a fautly power supply, thats werid, but Antec powersupplys are great,

The Baron
07-06-03, 05:40 PM
/me snuggles his Antec case and 480W PSU

stncttr908
07-06-03, 06:50 PM
I had the same thing, but it was the card. This ti200 doesn't do it at all.

http://stncttr908.virtualave.net/dots.gif

Rishel
07-06-03, 06:55 PM
Yeah, not sure about this case and supply, but its a 350 watter, Antec, with a see through side, and this bright blue glow at night.

Kinda wild looking...

The Baron
07-06-03, 07:21 PM
Lanboy. Cool case.

Rishel
07-06-03, 07:23 PM
Yep, sure is.

Are they a good case or kinda cheesy you think?

Not sure it matters, but, thought I would ask.

The Baron
07-06-03, 07:27 PM
Meh. Never used one. I've got the PlusView 1000AMG, which is the full tower with a window in the side. Also have 3 blue LED fans and the blue Antec PSU (fans are Cooler Master, since the Cooler Master LED case fans are the greatest fans in the world). Sat didn't like them because the PSU could get in the way of components, but it should be a nice balance between mobility (you do NOT want to move my computer. period.) and room.

Skuzzy
07-06-03, 08:07 PM
Hard to go wrong with an Antec case and power supply. The Lanboy might feel cheesy as it is so light.

I have just converted my case to an Antec Sonata. Quiet is very important to me. Best case I have ever owned. Went ahead and switch out the power supply with a 480W Antec TruPower though.

saturnotaku
07-06-03, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Rishel
Yep, sure is.

Are they a good case or kinda cheesy you think?

Not sure it matters, but, thought I would ask.

Yuck. I had a Lanboy and my motherboard wouldn't fit in it once I put the heatsink on my processor. The power supply would get in the way. So back it went in favor of a Chieftec aluminum case. But if the Lanboy works for you that's all that matters. :)