PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone hate the UT 3 engine?

Pages : [1] 2

Yaboze
02-05-10, 12:20 PM
I know it uses a lot of FX and HDR and everyone's heads (at least in Epic's games) look fat and stuff, but it's a decent looking engine that runs fast. You can always make your own models, etc.

Why does everyone hate it? ME2 looks pretty good.

DiscipleDOC
02-05-10, 12:23 PM
I know it uses a lot of FX and HDR and everyone's heads (at least in Epic's games) look fat and stuff, but it's a decent looking engine that runs fast. You can always make your own models, etc.

Why does everyone hate it? ME2 looks pretty good.

I don't hate it....I think it's a good engine...but just a bit outdated.

HiCZoK4
02-05-10, 12:26 PM
it is very good engine.
People here like it but hate most of it games don;t have aa support

Madpistol
02-05-10, 12:57 PM
I hate that it doesn't support AA. That's a terrible oversight on modern games on PC.

Other than that, it's a great engine, and some great games have come out of it (mass effect, 2, and Gears of War)

proliferazor
02-05-10, 01:25 PM
its sucks, it wasn't any better than the other "next gen" engines, there are way better engines out there to use, but almost everyone who's going to buy an engine to make a game on goes with UE3, and so we end up with a whole lot of games that look the same, and since when it was released wasn't that much of an upgrade over the previous UT engine except in the shader area. They made alot of money selling other companies an engine that really wasn't the best choice.

Q
02-05-10, 01:30 PM
AA issues suck and so does texture loading, especially in UT 3 the game.

bob saget
02-05-10, 04:51 PM
for some reason, i Am thinking bioshock uses UT3?

bacon12
02-05-10, 05:24 PM
Great for single player games, in fact I really like it in most games. Where the suck is unbearable is mulit player.

$n][pErMan
02-05-10, 05:31 PM
nHancer.... +1 :)

nekrosoft13
02-05-10, 06:11 PM
reason to "hate" the engine

1) is overused
2) aa issue
3) texture loading/popins
4) often is used or implemented very poorly

t3hl33td4rg0n
02-05-10, 06:26 PM
Bad texture streaming
crappy shadows
poor AA

My biggest pet peve is how it allows for such restriction on options and how poorly the games can be created. Just look at SC:DA, R6V, anything codemasters used with it - CBCB:J, Damnation, Rise of the Titans, and whole other plethora crappy consolized pieces of crap that hiw the shelves.

My guess is the great suite of tools that come with the engine that help things (I'm sure some of you played with UDK)... You don't have to spend alot to get it and you save a lot of time not having to write your own engine.

So if you're a cheap, lazy developer looking to make a quick buck, then UE3 is the way to go; and you don't even have to do a good job to slap a 360 sticker on it, suck the MS wang, and your done! For the Port: fire up VS2008, hit Ctrl-Shift-B, open up InstallShield, make an installer, and your good to go... It is definitely the Wal-Mart of 3d engines - while it has great potential, it just keeps sucking along.

Now don't get me wrong. Some great games have been made using the engine... Bioshock, ME, Borderlands, Mirrors Edge, and I'm sure there are more, but those definately make the grade in my book

|MaguS|
02-05-10, 06:35 PM
Most of the complaints against the Unreal Engine should be geared towards the games developer not the Engine. The Engine is very capable but developers rarely optimize it for their games needs and the specific platform beyond just running.

m3dude
02-05-10, 06:59 PM
pre lightmass the lighting and shadowing were atrocious. now its decent. also the hard baked blur filter lod that every ue3 game has looks piss poor

bacon12
02-05-10, 09:22 PM
Mass Effect 2 is probably my favorite game that uses the engine. I am using the settings for nhancer mentioned in the me2 thread and it looks amazing. The blur when you are running is really nice as well, and not cartoony like most.

logan
02-05-10, 09:30 PM
I'm always glad to see a UE3-based game, because there's a good chance it'll work in wine like Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Mirror's Edge.

reason to "hate" the engine

1) is overused
Why does that matter?

t3hl33td4rg0n
02-06-10, 12:59 AM
I would like to see more games use the engine monolith used for FEAR2. Despite the windows 7 issue, the game always ran smooth, the graphics are very nice, and it seems like it has a lot of potential.

If I made UE3, I just wouldn't let codemasters or ubisoft use it lol!

LydianKnight
02-06-10, 08:22 AM
I would like to see more games use the engine monolith used for FEAR2. Despite the windows 7 issue, ...

What issue are you talking about? I mean... I currently run Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and played the game several times (normal run+achievements run) and not a single issue so far.

rudedog
02-06-10, 08:26 AM
As mentioned above, the blame should lie on the publishers and developers who use this engine to do a quick, bad and cheap port to the PC (from console), which IMO is most PC games now a days.

nekrosoft13
02-06-10, 01:28 PM
Why does that matter?

because there are better engines, i would preffer to see used

t3hl33td4rg0n
02-06-10, 06:39 PM
What issue are you talking about? I mean... I currently run Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and played the game several times (normal run+achievements run) and not a single issue so far.

Well, game runs great on XP, loading up the game only takes about 10 seconds, and loading maps hardly take any time at all, and when its loaded, everything plays smooth as butter. I mean, theres that occasional stutter, but everyone gets that; either from checkpoints or when the game streams in the other parts of the map.

Not in windows 7...

The game takes about 2 minutes to load up, the little spinning circle barely spins, very slowly. I usually load it up and go do something else for a couple minutes...

Loading maps also takes a very long time, usually another 1-2 minutes. But the trouble doesn't stop there... 60% of the time, the game runs okay, not as smooth as it did in XP , but definately playable... Then at random times, the game starts to stutter, the audio gets scratchy and the game turns into a slideshow... This lasts for a few minutes, I just have to sit and wait until it comes back to life.

I've tried everything I could think of to fix it, including the suggestions on the projectorigin forums. Unfortunately, none of it worked.

I know I dont have the best computer in the world, and thats the main reason I went back to XP. Despite what others say, I did get a significant performance hit in most newer games when switching to seven. Its not MS fault, its my computer... But, if most of my games are going to run better XP, i'll stick with it until I can afford to upgrade.

trivium nate
02-06-10, 07:13 PM
I don't hate it UT3 and B man Arkham asylum were great games

Zenoth
02-06-10, 11:21 PM
It's a good engine I like it, no problems with it, I use nHancer for AA and that's it, it's fine. I only wish there would be official editing tools for games like ME1 and ME2 because once you finish them two or three times (or even just one time for some people) there's really nothing left to do, the replay value goes down the drain pretty fast without mods.

jeffmd
02-07-10, 04:32 AM
Reasons I love the ut3 engine:

1. Its freaking fast! I know some games that used it sucked and so they were slow (rainbow), but when you know wtf your doing (unreal) its like liquid smooth.

2. Supports most of what you need to create great looking worlds.

3. Multi plat form.

Reasons I dislike it.

1. Texture streaming issue is a long standing bug that should have been fixed in the 1.01 patch. I dont care if you keep the load screen up a little longer to hide it.

2. Lack of a complex water object. Seriously there is no excuse any more to leave water as a flat texture with a shader. It needs to deform and ripple.

3. Atleast initially, it was outdoor unfriendly. That is it seemed to be hard to get moving vegetation (and lots of it). I was not only disappointed, but insulted that if a static tree mesh in unreal3 even moved, it was using the flag ripple animation and was in no way impacted by physics.

4. No real time global shadows.

5. This may be just a design choice (to much of a performance hit? It should be doable compleatly with a programmable shader) but all the u3e games I have seen utilize a Environment Mapping for reflected surfaces rather then realtime reflections. This was the #1 killer for me in mirrors edge. So many glass monoliths reflecting the world back at you, and they had the BALLS to use nothing but environment mapping.

ragejg
02-07-10, 09:07 AM
I can play UT3 with authentic COG and Locust characters...

DVz5mFU2fpA

& also play a mod with a cover system.

LHZFHndYWZo

I like it just fine, thank you very much. :p

... oh and I love Mirror's Edge & Bioshock.

|MaguS|
02-07-10, 09:59 AM
Reasons I love the ut3 engine:

1. Its freaking fast! I know some games that used it sucked and so they were slow (rainbow), but when you know wtf your doing (unreal) its like liquid smooth.

2. Supports most of what you need to create great looking worlds.

3. Multi plat form.

Reasons I dislike it.

1. Texture streaming issue is a long standing bug that should have been fixed in the 1.01 patch. I dont care if you keep the load screen up a little longer to hide it.

2. Lack of a complex water object. Seriously there is no excuse any more to leave water as a flat texture with a shader. It needs to deform and ripple.

3. Atleast initially, it was outdoor unfriendly. That is it seemed to be hard to get moving vegetation (and lots of it). I was not only disappointed, but insulted that if a static tree mesh in unreal3 even moved, it was using the flag ripple animation and was in no way impacted by physics.

4. No real time global shadows.

5. This may be just a design choice (to much of a performance hit? It should be doable compleatly with a programmable shader) but all the u3e games I have seen utilize a Environment Mapping for reflected surfaces rather then realtime reflections. This was the #1 killer for me in mirrors edge. So many glass monoliths reflecting the world back at you, and they had the BALLS to use nothing but environment mapping.

I think the engine is capable of all your complaints and the issues are more related to how well the developer is at fixing it, not a flaw in the engine in itself.