PDA

View Full Version : Need to clean/repair two older RAID 0'ed drives

ragejg
02-08-10, 12:58 AM
You're gonna laugh, but in my desk gaming system, I had it set up with two Western Digital 40gb 5400rpm 2mb cache drives in RAID 0.

:D:D

Honestly, together the two of them were decently quick, slightly faster than a standard 8mb cache 7200rpm drive.

I'm probably going to use them in my upgraded desk rig, believe it or not... BUT:

I do have two Maxtor Diamondmax 9 120gb 7200rpm 8mb drives laying around... problem is, they were in a few rigs that had the crap overclocked out of them, and I believe they got some bad sectors in them or something... I had formatted them a few times, but I personally have never used any sort of THOROUGH drive cleaning/sector repairing utility on them.

I'd like to hope that I could run some overnight utilities on them that may take a while but will restore them to happy running condition. I remember the peak performance of the two of them in RAID 0 was quite impressive.

Can you guys recommend me some utilities and things to look for when trying to resurrect these older server drives? If I can get them to work good then I'll probably just put the 5400's in as secondary drives in both of my machines and let them live out the rest of their days doing not quite so intensive duties...

bobmitch
02-09-10, 08:52 AM
OK...go here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=602&lang=en

You want the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS (either the Floppy or CD version). The download is very small. What you can do is do a "Complete" write zeros to each drive. This will recondition the drives and check for problems as it works. If you get a 0000 code at the end...the drives were cleaned and reconditioned with NO issues. Then you can use them...

Bob

ragejg
02-09-10, 08:59 AM
OK...go here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=602&lang=en

You want the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS (either the Floppy or CD version). The download is very small. What you can do is do a "Complete" write zeros to each drive. This will recondition the drives and check for problems as it works. If you get a 0000 code at the end...the drives were cleaned and reconditioned with NO issues. Then you can use them...

Bob

Will this work on Maxtor drives? In my original post I accidentally put them down as WD's when they are in fact Maxtor DiamondMax 9's. :p

bacon12
02-09-10, 09:54 AM
I use knoppix for a lot of things, it has wipe as well as shred on the iso. Both powerful tools, shred can overwrite as many times as you wish, making any data unrecoverable. I would set them to non raid and use it. Article describing it wipe (http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/135944), and shred. (http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-to-securely-erase-hard-disk-before.html#axzz0f3Ryte1a)

zarlaan
02-10-10, 04:49 AM
The problem with bad sectors on a drive can vary quite a bit. The biggest issue is that if the bad sectors are caused by a physical defect, damage to the platter or other mechanical issue you should just replace the drive. Especially if the cause is physical you may be able to lock out that sector for a short time, but the physical damage is just going to grow until you're completely frustrated.

Hard drives are designed to have so many extra sectors for just this purpose and in-fact even brand new off the line drives already have bad sectors. The manufacturers scan them and lock out the bad parts before shipping them out if its within their quality standards.

Drives are so cheap now i'd just get a new one.... but to answer your question check with the manufacturer of the drive such as Maxtor. They will have a utility such as the Western Digital one posted but specific to their drives.

Seagate owns Maxtor now btw and this is their link to a couple utilities:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

SpinRite is also another great program.

AdamK47
02-10-10, 12:07 PM
Honestly, together the two of them were decently quick, slightly faster than a standard 8mb cache 7200rpm drive.

I'm going to have to call shens on that. Cache and rotational speed are just two factors in the performance. Perhaps they are slightly faster than an 8mb 7200rpm drive from 6 years ago, but not an 8mb 7200rpm drive today.

ragejg
02-10-10, 12:18 PM
What's the difference between an ATA-133 8mb cache 7200 rpm drive from 6 years ago and an average SATA 8mb cache 7200 rpm drive of today? Not much. What are the "other" factors in performance?

I was comparing that 2x5400rpm RAID setup to one of the Diamondmax's running single. It's not a slow drive by any stretch.

AdamK47
02-10-10, 12:26 PM
Platter density for one. It's an even bigger factor than the interface or cache.

When I shop for a new hard drive I tend to factor in the platter density. The Samsung SpinPoint F3s I have in my system now use two 500GB platters. The original F1 uses three 334GB platters. The newer F3s show significant performance increases over the F1 by just increasing platter density.

Compare the results from the two here (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1tb-review/1).

Redeemed
02-10-10, 12:29 PM
Platter density for one. It's an even bigger factor than the interface or cache.

When I shop for a new hard drive I tend to factor in the platter density. The Samsung SpinPoint F3s I have in my system now use two 500GB platters. The original F1 uses three 334GB platters. The newer F3s show significant performance increases over the F1 by just increasing platter density.

Really? I'm a Samsung fan when it comes to hard drives, and am currently in the market for some new drives. I've been eyeing the F3's. How long have you had yours?

AdamK47
02-10-10, 01:11 PM
I've had mine for about 4 or 5 months now. No complaints. I have two 1TB SpinPoint F3s in RAID-0. The 500GB platters make a big difference over the 1TB SpintPoint F1 I had before. I added a link to my post above. It shows the differences between the two drives.

ragejg
02-22-10, 05:19 PM
The RAID BIOS for my new motherboard has a secure erase function built in.

It asks for an erase count (1) and a pattern...

What would I use for a pattern? Do I put in 0000 to write zeros? Or is there some standard pattern I should use?