PDA

View Full Version : getting a bigger hard drive for 360??

Pages : [1] 2

tornadog
02-08-10, 11:51 AM
I know this goes into the realm of unethical behavior, but what do you guys think of upgrading the 360 hard drive on your own. Sony has no qualms letting us do it, but MS wants us to pay a premium to upgrade. I have been looking up some tutorials online and it seems fairly straight forward to replace th puny 20GB with a cheap 250GB WD Scorpio drive. MS is planning to sell the very same 250GB hard drive according to reports for 250 bucks.

My only worry is that MS will ban me for using an unauthorized harddrive. But is it legal for MS to enforce this requirement?

LurkerLito
02-08-10, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately it's their system and service so it would not be illegal for them to ban you for using an unauthorized HD on the system.

ViN86
02-08-10, 07:43 PM
Let me put it this way. If you use a hard drive that you didn't purchase from them, then they'd never know the difference. In order to get an OEM drive working on the 360 you need to make it look like on you purchased from them.

I said **** it and just got an Elite.

|MaguS|
02-08-10, 07:58 PM
I said **** it and just got an Elite.

Traitor!

ViN86
02-08-10, 07:58 PM
Traitor!

lol wut?

I still have a PS3 :lol:

|MaguS|
02-08-10, 07:59 PM
Ok, then you're just Bi. :o

Albo
02-10-10, 07:49 PM
Ok, then you're just Bi. :o

:rofl

crainger
02-11-10, 03:59 PM
LOL

It's getting harder and harder to use the drives you've created yourself. More and more people are getting bans from using custom drives. I didn't buy an elite. I just got the 120gb drive on sale as they were phasing them out for the more expensive 60gb drives... Go figure...

tornadog
02-11-10, 05:37 PM
LOL

It's getting harder and harder to use the drives you've created yourself. More and more people are getting bans from using custom drives. I didn't buy an elite. I just got the 120gb drive on sale as they were phasing them out for the more expensive 60gb drives... Go figure...

where are people getting banned for using their own hard drives. Is that a downunder special going on right now??

crainger
02-12-10, 05:50 AM
No. I just remembered the news wrong. It seems what they do is disable HDD on the banned console (banned from DVD flashes and the like), so not only are you banned from Live, you are banned from installing and running games from your HDD. You can ofcourse move that drive to a clean 360 and use it fine there.

Sorry of the mis info. Though, you can bet your bum MS are working on a way to detect unauthorised HDDs too.

ViN86
02-12-10, 08:15 AM
LOL

IIRC, the way they used to do it was to buy a drive that is exactly the same as the ones MS uses. Then you can download software that changes the drives file system and makes it behave exactly like a 360 hard drive.

I don't think they will be able to detect those drives. But if you modify your 360 to allow for any drive, they will probably catch you and ban you.

But, I don't think you can buy drives like that anymore.

tornadog
02-12-10, 09:58 AM
are we talking hard drives or dvd drives here?

ViN86
02-12-10, 11:41 AM
are we talking hard drives or dvd drives here?

Hard drives. There's a reason why you can't just swap out any laptop hard drive for a 360 hard drive.

They used to sell the exact same models MS used in stores, but I think they have discontinued them. You used to be able to buy a bigger hard drive, then flash the drive with an application from online which would make it work on the 360.

I looked into it a while back. Read this: http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=4193

LurkerLito
02-12-10, 12:39 PM
I don't remember exactly but I thought there was more than just getting a similar HD and having a program format it correctly. IIRC you needed some kind of serial number or a copied sector from a legitimate MS HD or something to use it, if you copied the one from your current 20GB drive it didn't matter if you put in a 250GB drive it would only see 20GB.

ViN86
02-12-10, 01:47 PM
I don't remember exactly but I thought there was more than just getting a similar HD and having a program format it correctly. IIRC you needed some kind of serial number or a copied sector from a legitimate MS HD or something to use it, if you copied the one from your current 20GB drive it didn't matter if you put in a 250GB drive it would only see 20GB.

All drives have different serial numbers, but you do need the exact same model. This is why any 120GB drive won't work, you need a specific brand/model.

Lyme
02-13-10, 04:11 PM
I'm waiting till the 250gb 360 hd is sold separately, the new FF is coming out on three discs for the 360. I'm far to lazy to want to get up and walk 8' to the console, switch discs, and walk another 8' to sit back down.

tornadog
02-15-10, 02:56 PM
well, I decided to go ahead and do it anyway. If I get banned for it, so be it...I love the fact that I installed my whole collection of games to the hard drive and still have space left!!!!

Mr. Hunt
02-15-10, 07:54 PM
I'm waiting till the 250gb 360 hd is sold separately, the new FF is coming out on three discs for the 360. I'm far to lazy to want to get up and walk 8' to the console, switch discs, and walk another 8' to sit back down.

Would that even work? I thought you still had to have the disc in, but installing it on the 360 just stopped it from reading from the disc constantly (and making a ****ton of noise).

Stoneyguy
02-16-10, 07:52 AM
well, I decided to go ahead and do it anyway. If I get banned for it, so be it...I love the fact that I installed my whole collection of games to the hard drive and still have space left!!!!

What HDD you went with? What directions did you follow?

Lyme
02-16-10, 09:29 PM
Would that even work? I thought you still had to have the disc in, but installing it on the 360 just stopped it from reading from the disc constantly (and making a ****ton of noise).

From what I've read, it depends on the developer. Some still require swapping discs, and others don't.

|MaguS|
02-16-10, 09:41 PM
From what I've read, it depends on the developer. Some still require swapping discs, and others don't.

From what I read I thought it was required by MS because of renting/keeping concerns.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/07/14/some-of-the-features-in-the-new-xbox-experience-8-person-chat-vga-plus-more.aspx

Lyme
02-16-10, 09:56 PM
From what I read I thought it was required by MS because of renting/keeping concerns.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/07/14/some-of-the-features-in-the-new-xbox-experience-8-person-chat-vga-plus-more.aspx

I can see that as a valid concern. While it will not stop the diehards, it does stop the average joe. I personally like the quieter aspect.

crainger
02-17-10, 12:49 AM
Yeah. Quieter and less chance for Disc Read Errors which plagued games like Mass Effect. After installing it, it's runs flawlessly.

tornadog
02-17-10, 02:18 PM
What HDD you went with? What directions did you follow?

I went with this guide

http://digiex.net/computing-section/guides-tutorials/consoles/3152-xbox-360-how-hack-250gb-sata-drive-work-360-a.html

And I used a Western Digital WD2500BEKT Scorpio Black bought from newegg for 65 bucks.

Lyme
02-28-10, 02:12 PM

Mass Effect 2 is happy to work with disc 1 on the HD, disc 2 in the tray and no switching. Likely would be happy with both on the HD (if I had room). I've been playing it that way so I know it works. Others *shrug*