PDA

View Full Version : Steam: Total War Week

Erda
02-08-10, 05:29 PM
Since I never purchased these games I think I might now take the plunge.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3425/

This week we're celebrating the release of the Elite Units of the East, new Downloadable Content for Empire: Total War™, with a huge sale on Total War™ games, packs and DLC from SEGA and The Creative Assembly.

All Empire, Rome, and Medieval II: Total War™ games and packs, including the Total War™ Mega Pack are 66% off, while all Empire: Total War DLC and the new Empire: Total War™ - Downloadable Content Pack are 10% off.

Whether you're new to the series or looking to round out your collection of Total War™ games and content, this week is the time to buy

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1348/

Total War Mega Pack only $20.39!! (nana2)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39380&stc=1&d=1265668104

Armed_Baboon
02-08-10, 05:34 PM
considering I put over 200 hours into Empire total war's single player campaign (and that was only two games - each game lasts over 100 hours!) that pack should last you roughly 800 hours of gaming or 33 days of constant gameplay.

Good luck, and try to get some sun occasionally :)

p.s. I would play medievil II first because it's probably the best iteration of the series.

bacon12
02-08-10, 06:19 PM
Pretty sick deal.

|MaguS|
02-08-10, 08:08 PM
I hate you TikiMan, I went and bought the pack...

Erda
02-08-10, 08:23 PM
I hate you TikiMan, I went and bought the pack...

Happy to hear it. :D

K-1
02-08-10, 11:10 PM
considering I put over 200 hours into Empire total war's single player campaign (and that was only two games - each game lasts over 100 hours!) that pack should last you roughly 800 hours of gaming or 33 days of constant gameplay.

Good luck, and try to get some sun occasionally :)

p.s. I would play medievil II first because it's probably the best iteration of the series.

I have nearly 800 hours in Empire alone :o. Needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting Napoleon Total War.

methimpikehoses
02-08-10, 11:43 PM
I never even finished a game. Too epic. :(

proliferazor
02-08-10, 11:57 PM
did they ever fix the main issues with empire at launch? performance, bugs, broken stuff?

JasonPC
02-09-10, 12:18 AM
They fixed some things but it's still pretty broken. Especially on nvidia cards.

Retrolock
02-09-10, 12:21 AM
Had a couple of problems with it early on but the last time I played it, I didn't experience a CTD, which was plaguing the game when it first came out.

K-1
02-09-10, 12:37 AM
They fixed some things but it's still pretty broken. Especially on nvidia cards.

I've had no such issues with a good ol' 8800GT. I've enjoyed the game since launch, but the game has improved by leaps and bounds since then. It's had 5 major patches, the serious issues have been resolved (such as crashing when selecting advanced naval units, trade ports bugging when splitting fleets on them, added multi-core support), and the AI has been greatly improved especially on the campaign map. One of the developers also posted today to say that another patch was planned to improve the battle AI.

JasonPC
02-09-10, 12:48 AM
the GUI flashes a lot with the latest nvidia drivers for me, playable but annoying, and people with GT200 cards have experienced much worse graphical glitches (region capitals disappearing). The most compatible drivers with the game are about a year old. SLI is also pretty much completely broken.

AI is better than it was before but it's still inferior to past total war games. It never retreats from hopeless battles. It loves to send one stack army raids which may be fine but it slows down the AI turns when the game gets going (when factions expand and have large armies) since they are shuffling several one unit armies around the map. And the battle AI is not much of a challenge as it seems to have a one track mind. It will completely waste its cavalry in charges toward infantry about 99% of the time.

Then there are just gameplay balance issues that were resolved in a halfass way. None of the Maratha infantry can fire by rank anymore, yet they have to research it if they want to advance their infantry technology. Though Maratha almost always grows out of control anyway because India is ripe for the taking for them and has extreme amounts of wealth. European factions never colonize it even though the developers said after patch 1.5 they "guaranteed" European factions will be present. Never seen them once and the colonies that are given to United Provinces and Portugal are usually lost within the first 10 years of the game.

I could go on but I won't bore you all.

Armed_Baboon
02-09-10, 12:54 AM
I have nearly 800 hours in Empire alone :o. Needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting Napoleon Total War.

holy cow!! how many games is that?

The think about total war is that by turn 150, each turn can take two hours if you fight all the battles, and you pretty much have to fight all the battles because the auto resolve will cause you to lose most of the time!

mmm, feel like playing empire...

K-1
02-09-10, 02:15 AM
holy cow!! how many games is that?

The think about total war is that by turn 150, each turn can take two hours if you fight all the battles, and you pretty much have to fight all the battles because the auto resolve will cause you to lose most of the time!

mmm, feel like playing empire...

Haha, quite a few! A good chunk of that is due to multiplayer which I got really hooked on, though of course I played plenty of campaigns. Heck, every patch/DLC was an excuse to start a new campaign! I would also set silly goals for myself, for example achieving world peace with everyone being friendly toward me and a bare minimum of conquered territories. That was pretty tough but also great fun. I just really enjoyed the period; the widespread use of firearms but the continued effectiveness of melee combat is really an interesting combination!