PDA

View Full Version : Cable from Abit IP35-Pro to Z5500...toslink s/pdif??

hokeyplyr48
02-08-10, 06:22 PM
So I've had my Logitech Z5500 speakers for a while and want to try passing it digital audio from my Abit IP35-Pro motherboard. Is the cable I should buy a "toslink" cable?

Like as seen here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2

Just want to make sure before I buy it.

CaptNKILL
02-08-10, 07:00 PM
That will work, just keep in mind that you won't get surround sound in games using that connection unless your onboard sound supports Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect real time encoding. Most onboard sound chips do not, so you'll only get stereo from real time sources. DVDs and other media with pre-encoded dolby\DTS sources will pass through to your speakers just fine though.

hokeyplyr48
02-09-10, 06:35 AM
Oh thanks for the heads up. Will there be a significant change in the quality of audio with onboard? Or should I just wait to change out the cable till I get a soundcard?

Revs
02-09-10, 09:39 AM
When I was using my onboard sound, I used the Toslink to output the sound from movies, DTS & DD (PowerDVD or equiv. needed), to my amp. But still used the 7.1 output jacks for gaming. The Toslink out should give you better sound quality for movies provided the DAC in the Z-5500 is better than the DAC on your board, which it should be.

As Capt said, you'll need a sound card with DD Live or DTS Connect if you're wanting to output sound from games through the Toslink, though.