PDA

View Full Version : Computer Temperatures?

WarGhSt
07-07-03, 02:01 AM
What is a good temperature for the computer to be running at?

After playing Diablo II (lower end graphics game) for awhile I restarted the comp and saw that the average temp for the 3 were around 60*C... I was wondering if this is an ok temperature and when I should start to be worried about overheating.

Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Abit KD7 Mobo
GeForce4 Ti4200 64mb(not overclocked)

Not sure exactly what temp it is in the house but... I live in Arizona and today it was 120*F outside =(.. I'm assuming that its still around 90*F outside and about 80*F inside (AC is expensive =()

phye2002
07-07-03, 04:41 AM
athlons run hotter, mine was up to 65 C before I installed an after market HSF. Now mine sits around 54 C during full load. Just make sure you have plenty of airflow in the case, and clean it around once every couple of months and you'll be fine. your temp isn't at the level you need to worry about yet. It should be fine till you get into the 80 C mark. any questions drop me a line at phye2002@yahoo.com

MUYA
07-07-03, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by WarGhSt
What is a good temperature for the computer to be running at?

After playing Diablo II (lower end graphics game) for awhile I restarted the comp and saw that the average temp for the 3 were around 60*C... I was wondering if this is an ok temperature and when I should start to be worried about overheating.

Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Abit KD7 Mobo
GeForce4 Ti4200 64mb(not overclocked)

Not sure exactly what temp it is in the house but... I live in Arizona and today it was 120*F outside =(.. I'm assuming that its still around 90*F outside and about 80*F inside (AC is expensive =()

I think 60 degrees is a lil high for a thoroughbred B cpu. Then again u might be running it with a stock HSF.

I would kindly suggest that you invest in a decent HSF, of which there are many, from Coolermaster XDream to Thermaltake's Volcanos or Thermal Right SLK series...depends on what you are willing to spend :) Thermalright's SLK are the bee's knees of AthlonXP air cooled HSF. Baronw ill reccomend you get one as will many others who have this HSF. However, you also must have certain pre-requisites to owning one, soemthing about holes on the motherboards. :) I personaly have a Coolermaster Xdream running a 2800+ Barton at idle 38-40 degrees celcius and while at full load , the readings approach 50 degrees celcius. This isn't an accurate measurement , it can be anywhere from + or - 5 degrees celcious or so..maybe more.

I also use the bios setting of "Halt command" or something which really cools the cpu down. If u cannot find it in the bios, there are programs like CPUcool...i think u can it at www.podien.de to get the CPU halt command working. Or you can do a search, also over at planetsavage.com they have a teperature monitoring program that throttle's speed? not sure but anyway have a looksie its only 800kb.

Hope it helps a alil'

Cheers

MUYA

p0lish_p0w3r
07-07-03, 07:47 AM
Hheh
Better watch temperature on that AMD of yours !!!
60 degrees ? My p4 1.8 was running 58 degrees under load when overclocked to 2.1 Ghz...
Nothing great you would say ..... that was when the fan controller died and that thing was being cooled down by the heatsink itself......pretty darn cool rite ?

As for AMD Xp's ... the PC that I got for my girlfriend is a 1900+ on a budget nf2 mobo. That thing runs 28 degrees on the stock cooler with the original tape instead of the recommended thermal paste !!!!
This reading was taken from both WIndows and BIOS when the ambient temp was aroun 18-20 celcius.

B&R
07-12-03, 07:14 PM
40 - 55 deg under load is good i think for intels.

CaptNKILL
07-12-03, 10:00 PM
That is pretty hot. Not dangerous, but something probably isnt set up correctly. You might want to try reseating your heat sink and\or making sure the CPU fan runs properly.

My 1800+ Palamino (these run much hotter than the newer Athlons) ran about 47C - 50C idle, 55C-57C load during the summer (in pennsylvania.. probably 70F room temp). My new TBred B runs less than that (check my sig) when overclocked nearly 400Mhz! At default clocks, I was getting around 38C load with this CPU!

Yours shouldnt really run much hotter than mine at defaults. Id say 50C MAX considering your room temp... 60C on a TBredB at default clocks means something isnt cooling it properly.

Mike89
08-08-03, 12:38 AM
Hey Polish, there is no way that AMD is running at 28C unless you got that computer in a freezer, especially using a thermal pad and a stock heatsink/fan. You got a faulty temp reading someplace.

The biggest cpu temp increase will be from going from Winter to Summer. If you have 120F days outside and your room is not air conditioned to a really cool temp, the cpu temp will skyrocket. 60C is kind of hot. I would think your games would be freezing up big time, that's a good indicator right there.

OldOfEvil
08-17-03, 12:51 PM
Thats one thing thats great about Alaska, all I have to do is open a window or door to get a substantial drop in heat for my computer...
________
extreme q vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.net/)

p0lish_p0w3r
08-17-03, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Mike89
Hey Polish, there is no way that AMD is running at 28C unless you got that computer in a freezer, especially using a thermal pad and a stock heatsink/fan. You got a faulty temp reading someplace.

It is possible. Cpu probes have a +/- % degree tolerance. I have checked all of teh probes on that PC with 3 different proframs. I will post screenshots when I get her PC up running again.

28C - was when it was not hot outside+ it was an idle Temp.