PDA

View Full Version : cheap decent SSD? 60gb range

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
02-10-10, 03:56 PM
What are some decent reliable SSD about 60gb size.

60gb is enough for my C drive.

Dr.Nick
02-11-10, 01:39 AM
The ocz vertex is pretty good and it's only $180 after $30 rebate at microcenter. Good deal imho
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0304103

nekrosoft13
02-11-10, 12:41 PM
thanks that does look good, spend a bit of time on their forums, seems new firmware updates support TRIM.

but their update process needs a bit more work, to many different "ifs" and "buts"

Dr.Nick
02-11-10, 02:32 PM
:( for the price it might be worth the small hassle at first; its not like you're going to flash it a lot since it erases everything when you do. But tbh, if these were at this price when I was shopping for one I'd have definitely saved my $$ and gone for it instead.

CaptNKILL
02-11-10, 02:43 PM
I'd wait for the Vertex 2 to be released:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143405

Should be out within the next couple of months and its likely that Intel will answer with significant price drops since the Vertex 2 is so competitive.

Also, keep in mind that SSDs get slower as they fill up, so if you plan on using most of that 60Gb drive you're going to have decreased performance.

Redeemed
02-11-10, 02:47 PM
I'd wait for the Vertex 2 to be released:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143405

Should be out within the next couple of months and its likely that Intel will answer with significant price drops since the Vertex 2 is so competitive.

Also, keep in mind that SSDs get slower as they fill up, so if you plan on using most of that 60Gb drive you're going to have decreased performance.

Which is precisely why I did not buy that 80GB SSD through work for $145 shipped. Danged good deal, but I'd have that thing 100% full in no time. :lol: :o

nekrosoft13
02-11-10, 02:50 PM

TRIM takes care of that

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3702&p=8

from your article, similar story with current Vertex series.

CaptNKILL
02-11-10, 02:55 PM
TRIM takes care of that

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3702&p=8

from your article, similar story with current Vertex series.

No, that's something different.

To test "used" performance they fill the drive and then clear it back off.

I remember reading that SSDs actually have to account for all data on the drive every time they make a change, so the more you have on the drive, the more data it has to check with every write operation. Which slows it down.

I don't know if this is a percentage-full thing (20% usage of 60Gb slows down equally to 20% usage of 160Gb) or if all drives decrease equally regardless of their maximum capacity, but its something you should look into before buying a smaller drive.

nekrosoft13
02-11-10, 03:47 PM
And this is exactly what TRIM is made for. TRIM will erase the not used but once written blocks while the drive is idle. So the next write on that cell/block will be at normal speed.

Prior to TRIM most controllers used up all the cells before overwriting once used cells/blocks. So even if your OS only showed 50% capacity usage, all cells might have been used at least once and the performance starts to suffer.
This is why most SSDs have quite some capacity hidden away to increase that "write buffer".

thanks slawter for clearing that up, vertex has TRIM support, not sure in which firmware revision they added it.

So that would explain why some people Call the Vertex 60gb (64gb)?

Viral
02-11-10, 04:29 PM
The new vertex 2 drives will set much more space aside for a write buffer and as such not require any cache. Current drives don't allocate all that much space to the write buffer.

Right now for the money the G.Skill Falcon II drives are good because they're a cheap drive with trim support. Unfortunately the latest indilinx controller (Eco) with the latest firmware (supports TRIM) is a bit slower than what a Vertex/Falcon I etc is. So the trade off is price for performance. Still, the price difference more than makes up for the performance loss. When you consider how much of a jump they are over rotational HDD's a slight performance deficite isn't that big of a deal.

That said I'd wait for the new Vertex 2 to see if it effects the market price wise.

CaptNKILL
02-11-10, 06:30 PM
And this is exactly what TRIM is made for. TRIM will erase the not used but once written blocks while the drive is idle. So the next write on that cell/block will be at normal speed.

Prior to TRIM most controllers used up all the cells before overwriting once used cells/blocks. So even if your OS only showed 50% capacity usage, all cells might have been used at least once and the performance starts to suffer.
This is why most SSDs have quite some capacity hidden away to increase that "write buffer".

Yeah, I know what TRIM is for. What I'm saying is that a drive's performance will decrease as you fill it up, even after its been properly trimmed. TRIM just allows you to get back performance from deleted data.

I'm trying to find the article that explained this.

EDIT: I was mistaken about the link you posted earlier nekro. They were talking about a filled drive, not a filled and deleted drive that needed TRIM. So with the new Vertex 2 drives it won't matter how full it is, performance shouldn't drop off much as available space decreases.

Current drives still do have a small performance drop, even after TRIM, but I can only really find information about the large 256Gb drives. I don't know if the smaller drives have a larger performance drop when they're full.

onmikesline
02-11-10, 07:58 PM
if the wife would let me, this is all you would ever need :)
Read: Up to 870MB/s
Write: Up to 780MB/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227500

bacon12
02-11-10, 08:53 PM
^If I was swimming in money I would consider that.

How about this adata? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211412) It is nothing but a re branded intel drive. I have been looking at drives for a while, and almost bit on a 30 gb that was on sale a few weeks ago, but I am gonna wait a little while longer till the prices become more reasonable.

nekrosoft13
02-11-10, 09:17 PM
EDIT: I was mistaken about the link you posted earlier nekro. They were talking about a filled drive, not a filled and deleted drive that needed TRIM. So with the new Vertex 2 drives it won't matter how full it is, performance shouldn't drop off much as available space decreases.

Current drives still do have a small performance drop, even after TRIM, but I can only really find information about the large 256Gb drives. I don't know if the smaller drives have a larger performance drop when they're full.

performance drop with current vertex is very insignificant as well

CaptNKILL
02-11-10, 09:37 PM
performance drop with current vertex is very insignificant as well

Have you seen any reviews showing the performance drop on smaller (less than 80Gb) drives? I can't find any.

JasonPC
02-11-10, 10:24 PM
if the wife would let me, this is all you would ever need :)
Read: Up to 870MB/s
Write: Up to 780MB/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227500

:afraid:

Marvel_us
02-14-10, 08:03 PM
I picked up one of these on sale. New firmware includes TRIM support. I haven't received it in the mail yet so I can't comment first hand on the performance but from what I've read it seems to be on par with most of the drives out, especially for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227461

CaptNKILL
02-14-10, 08:06 PM
I picked up one of these on sale. New firmware includes TRIM support. I haven't received it in the mail yet so I can't comment first hand on the performance but from what I've read it seems to be on par with most of the drives out, especially for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227461

Yeah, from what I've seen the 60Gb Agility is probably the cheapest drive that's worth buying at the moment.

I didn't know it had TRIM support though. If it came down just a bit more I'd buy one for a boot drive. :)

Marvel_us
02-14-10, 09:09 PM
Yeah, from what I've seen the 60Gb Agility is probably the cheapest drive that's worth buying at the moment.

I didn't know it had TRIM support though. If it came down just a bit more I'd buy one for a boot drive. :)

Yea, a friend of mine talked me into getting one. He bought a 30gb Vertex but after installing everything found that the drive was just not big enough for a W7 boot drive.

onmikesline
02-14-10, 09:11 PM
all i have to say to all the people that think this is cheap, well its not, you really have to spend big bucks just to have normal HDD space, i think ill wait till the price comes down ALOT, its pointless to just have windows on it and your programs on a spinup, yeah boot time is fast, just my main 750GB C drive only has 211GB free space,

CaptNKILL
02-14-10, 09:23 PM
all i have to say to all the people that think this is cheap, well its not, you really have to spend big bucks just to have normal HDD space, i think ill wait till the price comes down ALOT, its pointless to just have windows on it and your programs on a spinup, yeah boot time is fast, just my main 750GB C drive only has 211GB free space,

My 90Gb OS partition only has 24Gb used. Before installing Windows 7 I had a 2 year old installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on that same partition and barely broke 20Gb used.

I have all of my programs and my OS on this partition, with my data and games on other partitions. When a 250Gb SSD drops to a quarter of its current cost, I'll buy one for my games, but that's a long way off.

If I could get one of those 60Gb Agility drives for right around $100 I'd buy one right now.

onmikesline
02-14-10, 09:25 PM
My 90Gb OS partition only has 24Gb used. Before installing Windows 7 I had a 2 year old installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on that same partition and barely broke 20Gb used.

I have all of my programs and my OS on this partition, with my data and games on other partitions. When a 250Gb SSD drops to a quarter of its current cost, I'll buy one for my games, but that's a long way off.

If I could get one of those 60Gb Agility drives for right around $100 I'd buy one right now.

lol i remember the days that 1gb HDD was alot lol

Viral
02-14-10, 09:52 PM
Meh, I have W7, Creative Suite 4 and several games on my 128GB RAID, (112GB actual) and still have 20GB available. I just uninstall games I'm not really playing, I usually only play 3 games at one time, and have 2-3 I might play within the next month installed.

I wouldn't go smaller than 120GB for this kind of use.

nekrosoft13
02-15-10, 04:32 PM
my OS partition is about 55GB (33.3GB used)

and my OS drive is collecting since 2007 ;) (oldest app still installed is from May 2007)

if you keep good care of your OS, it can keep on running.

CaptNKILL
02-15-10, 05:38 PM
For games it's not really necessary to have SSDs anyway. I have a few games installed on my SSDs and a few on the Velociraptor and I can't tell a difference.
The only game that performs better with SSDs is ArmA II but only because the game has a memory limit and needs to swap a lot (maybe they fixed that in the meantime...).

Really?

I figured it'd cut load times down to a fraction of the normal time and smooth out any stuttering\hitching from loading scenery in some games (like Oblivion or Fallout 3).