PDA

View Full Version : best way to apply arctic mx-3 with HR50?

Pages : [1] 2

wysiwyg
02-12-10, 05:22 PM
heard a lot of conflicting methods on the correct way to apply paste

the pea method seems the best?=

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffK7L0Qj13Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffK7L0Qj13Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

as ill be redoing it when i get the H50

i have used AS5 before and did the line method then spread it all over the CPU

but the pea method seems better ??

XDanger
02-12-10, 06:02 PM
Is everyone getting an H50 now? Is that the way things are going?

Lap and use the grain of rice method.
http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/h50_copper.jpg
looks very grainy

Does the thing come off for lapping or would the juice spill out and end it?

Drolfrawd
02-12-10, 06:04 PM
If you pea on your processor youwill break it

shilk
02-12-10, 06:25 PM
I use half a short grain rice. Least is more. With my new 95watt Phenom II 925, it idles at ~23c. :D

Lyme
02-12-10, 09:11 PM
I start off by not using a stupid see through piece of plastic that always causes the center area to be higher than the sides.

Clean the top of the cpu.
Place a pea sized glob of compound in the middle.
Use a credit card, bank card, whatever, to spread the compound across the processor.
Ensure that the thickness of the compound light enough that you can just barely see through it.
Scrape excess from around edges.
Apply heat sink.

If you are applying as much compound as the guy in the video is, your making a thermal blanket trapping some heat between the compound and the processor. You want to use it to fill the little gaps and cracks, not like an adhesive.

methimpikehoses
02-12-10, 09:13 PM
I've tried both methods--pea glob w/ spreading and pea glob w/o spreading--both resulted in the exact same temps.

logan
02-12-10, 10:32 PM
I did the line method the last time I reseated my e8400+Arctic Freezer 7 Pro and my temps weren't any different when using the square pre-application.

bob saget
02-12-10, 11:02 PM
tiny glob, and spread with finger inna plastic bag.

mullet
02-13-10, 12:48 AM
Zalman paste with little brush, cover whole chip then apply HS. Best method.

bob saget
02-13-10, 01:38 AM
I sprinkle a mixture of sand and chocolate syrup onto the cpu, then you gotta smash down the cooler as hard as you can onto the cpu so it mixes properly. The best way.

XDanger
02-13-10, 04:18 AM
I sprinkle a mixture of sand and chocolate syrup onto the cpu, then you gotta smash down the cooler as hard as you can onto the cpu so it mixes properly. The best way.

http://joshperrington.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/chuck-norris-approved.jpg

betterdan
02-13-10, 09:39 AM
I don't use the HR 50 but I did the line method like Arctic Silver said to. I figure if I trust their product I should trust how they say to apply it too. I am idling at 30C which I am very happy about.

mullet
02-13-10, 09:49 AM
3.4 @ 25c

marqmajere
02-13-10, 12:09 PM
I start off by not using a stupid see through piece of plastic that always causes the center area to be higher than the sides.

Use a credit card, bank card, whatever, to spread the compound across the processor.
Ensure that the thickness of the compound light enough that you can just barely see through it.
Apply heat sink.

If you are applying as much compound as the guy in the video is, your making a thermal blanket trapping some heat between the compound and the processor. You want to use it to fill the little gaps and cracks, not like an adhesive.

They were using the piece of glass to show the effects of the different methods under a cpu cooler, not to spread the thermal grease as a prep device.

mullet
02-13-10, 12:15 PM
They were using the piece of glass to show the effects of the different methods under a cpu cooler, not to spread the thermal grease as a prep device.

LOL, whats funny is it showed how all of those methods FAILED!! If you don't cover the CPU 100% you failed.

Quick420
02-13-10, 03:33 PM
tiny glob, and spread with finger inna plastic bag.

Thats how I've always done it ^^ 100% coverage,after lapping of course :p

Lyme
02-13-10, 05:30 PM

You sure? I thought they were trying to illustrate that if you put these shapes on your CPU and squeeze your heat sink on, this is what you get. Which is fail.

marqmajere
02-13-10, 06:29 PM
You sure? I thought they were trying to illustrate that if you put these shapes on your CPU and squeeze your heat sink on, this is what you get. Which is fail.

That's what I said....

wysiwyg
02-13-10, 07:53 PM
ok i applied arctic mx-3 to the H50 and i also took apart my GTX295 and applied the paste to the 2 GPU's and memory too

all working fine after a whole day working on it and redoing the layout of my case and lighting too

i have setup a push pull on the H50

gtx gets to about 75 degrees on load playing Bioshock 2

i7 gets hotter than it did with the fan cooler listed in the sig still, but i prefer the more roomy look in my case (temps on CPU are 27-40)

i used the spread method on the 295 and blob method on the i7

Aphot
02-13-10, 09:01 PM
I usually put a little blob in the middle.

logan
02-13-10, 10:06 PM
Arctic Silver suggests the line method for Core Duos (http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf). The stock cooler for the E8400 is circular. It and the pre-application of thermal paste (http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/02/all-about-tim/pad.jpg) don't cover the entire heat spreader. I clearly remember seeing something like this (http://odoc.dk/files/test_reviews/cooling/cmv10/stock/stock_mount.jpg) when I removed the stock cooler for the installation of my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. I suspect Intel knows what they're doing, so "best" would appear to be relative to the processor and cooler.

wysiwyg
02-14-10, 07:03 AM
i had tried a blob before i put my pc together again with the H50 and it seemed to spread satisactory

marqmajere
02-14-10, 09:56 AM
I usually put a decent sized pea blob in the middle of the proc and let nature take it from there. Never had an issue with heat yet. Of course, I'm not one of those people who need to squeeze another .0000215 degrees from their heatsink/proc. I say if it stays under 50 and works, it's good enough for me.

Revs
02-14-10, 10:04 AM
I used the AS method. Spreads well with no bubbles :). The good thing about the H50 is once you've put the cooler on (but not tightened it up) you can slowly twist it to spread the paste nice and thin.

ViN86
02-14-10, 10:53 AM

Apply heat sink.

+1

I use a razor blade to spread the paste. Should be about the thickness of a piece of paper. Too much paste is bad. It's just supposed to displace air and fill the cracks on the surface of the heatspreader.