PDA

View Full Version : Old Nintendo system sells for $13,105

General Lee
02-12-10, 10:54 PM
Everyday folk discovering colossally valuable collectors' items amid everyday junk has been the lifeblood of antiques shows for years, but it's not every day you see a real-life gold-in-the-attic tale play out on eBay.

Last week, North Carolina eBay user lace_thongs35 thought she was putting up an everyday, 80s-era Nintendo Entertainment System (together with five games) up on the popular auction site. But less than an hour after the first bid, the price was over $6,000 -- and on Wednesday, when the auction closed, the final selling price topped $13,000.

Why? Not the console itself, but one of the games bundled with it -- a deeply obscure 1987 release called Stadium Events, a highly sought-after collectors' item. But it wasn't even the game itself that was worth the bulk of the money -- it was the original cardboard box, which collectors value at a breathtaking $10,000.

Fewer than 10 complete copies of the game are thought to exist, and retro gaming aficionados consider it one of the hardest-to-find NES games ever made.

Wow...I still have my old NES, the first version. I also have a ton of games, and all of it still works. I even have all the original controllers, the NES Advantage, Gyromite and Rob the robot, the guns, and the Power Glove. Maybe I should put all it up for auction one day.

CaptNKILL
02-12-10, 11:04 PM
Wow, I love reading about stuff like this. Old obscure crap that is extremely collectible is awesome. :D

scout2of3
02-13-10, 03:45 AM
Unfortunately I threw away my old Colecovision, which I had the racing wheel for also. The only reason I threw it away was because I had it with me for years and got tired of moving it around whenever I moved to a new place. Plus I was missing a cable, now I wish I would of kept it.

I still have my copy of Nascar Racing 2003 made by Papyrus, which sells from $100-$600 on ebay. I think I will hold onto that for awhile longer.

FearMeAll
02-13-10, 07:47 AM
I went ebay crazy last month and bought an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, a Sega Saturn, all their original controllers, a 36" old school TV, and a boatload of game lots for each system. I love collections like this. I've set up a whole room as a shrine to sh***y old games.

I even built an emulation PC with a case that looks like a console and put every game on every system on it with all the said consoles. That pc is running a frontend called Maximus Arcade and I never have to use a mouse with it. Just 2 logitech wireless controllers and that's it. Even loads video previews for every game I have. Just press start and play.

I hope that over the years I collect most of the legit games from the 80s and early 90s. I'll post pics some time. I really love how this room turned out. I even have a virtual boy in there...yeesh.

I heard Stadium Events is rare but had no idea it was in the $10,000 range. I think I'll just use the Emulation version. But I am pretty sure it uses the power pad, and isn't even that fun. Olympic games are usually never fun, especially when on the old consoles.

the_recluse
02-13-10, 08:39 AM
I still have an Amiga 500 and external floppy drive carefully packed away, had tons of fun w/ that in its day.

Burnt_Ram
02-13-10, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately I threw away my old Colecovision, which I had the racing wheel for also. The only reason I threw it away was because I had it with me for years and got tired of moving it around whenever I moved to a new place. Plus I was missing a cable, now I wish I would of kept it.

I still have my copy of Nascar Racing 2003 made by Papyrus, which sells from $100-$600 on ebay. I think I will hold onto that for awhile longer.

100-600$ holly crap. i have that game too. let me know when its a good time to ebay that sucker. lol it could pay for my next build! sorry for the OT comment.

lumpyhed
02-13-10, 10:08 AM
I wonder if the AVGN bidded on it.. :D

FearMeAll
02-13-10, 11:22 AM
I wonder if the AVGN bidded on it.. :D

I'm a huge fan of that guy. His last NES Ninja Gaiden review almost had me shooting carrot juice out of my nose. He mentioned that game and said he wouldn't buy it. Someone should let him borrow it so he could review it. I'm sure it sucks.

scout2of3
02-13-10, 01:49 PM
100-600$ holly crap. i have that game too. let me know when its a good time to ebay that sucker. lol it could pay for my next build! sorry for the OT comment.

It kinda seems like a crap shoot. I have done several searches on ebay regarding NR2003 and sometimes it goes for $600 and sometimes it goes for $120. I might check back when the economy comes back as I would think that would be the best time to sell, IMO. Although I really don't want to get rid of NR2003 as it has been the best Nascar racing sim ever made, again IMO.

Kaguya
02-15-10, 12:10 AM
I had the rare Tengen version of Tetris for my NES that I wish I had held on to. Far superior to the Nintendo version that followed... I was about 15 and the trade in store offered me $100 worth of games for it and I snapped at the offer; not that I would sell it now though. I'd rather be playing it :D

bob saget
02-15-10, 12:29 AM
i could think of a few things to do with 13 grand.

CaptNKILL
02-15-10, 01:58 AM
i could think of a few things to do with 13 grand.

I'm going to be nice, but I know there are others who will not. :lol:

nrdstrm
02-15-10, 05:37 AM
I still have an Amiga 500 and external floppy drive carefully packed away, had tons of fun w/ that in its day.

Damn! Back in the day I would have killed for an Amiga...Just couldn't afford it. I just used my Commie 64s (2) and 128. I used those till I got back into computers and got a Mac LC followed by a Pentium 100...

But the Amiga...Man...That was the holy grail with the little bouncing ball demo!

dikinher
02-15-10, 02:30 PM
13 grand for a cardboard box...:headexplode:

Zenoth
02-16-10, 04:35 AM
Hehe, that's crazy but cool at the same time, what's especially valuable in terms of old-school gaming are the manufacturer-sealed games that were never opened, either consoles or games themselves. I remember seeing a "brand new" (it really was, technically) sealed A Link to the Past copy for the SNES going for around 6K I think? I can't remember exactly the price, or perhaps I'm mixing it with another one but anyway, it sold for a few grands, that was around four or five years ago. If any of you here ever know someone with a sealed copy of a beloved game or some collector's edition or even a sealed console with the official retail box and everything, you're richer by a few thousands, usually anyway.

BioHazZarD
02-16-10, 05:24 AM
I dont get it, its a paper box i can understand the game wrapped in there and not opened can be value but still i think some people have too much money lol.

gulizard
02-16-10, 06:07 AM

I have that.

XDanger
02-16-10, 04:39 PM
Awesome.

The most I've got from a single game was Panzer Dragoon Saga for about $140 :(