PDA

View Full Version : QX9650

snowmanwithahat
02-14-10, 01:37 PM
So... I'm looking at ditching this Q6600 for something that's a little bit better at overclocking before this platform in general is obsolete.

I'm looking at a QX9650 for ~$300.... Do you guys think it would be worth it? Because of the prices of RAM upgrading my whole system to an i5 / i7 is not going to be an option... I'm thinking it'd be worth it if I could get 4ghz out of it, but I'm still undecided.

Also, I could get a Q9550 for about $250-280 but I'm thinking the unlocked multiplier would be far more worth it.

Opinions?

mullet
02-14-10, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't do it. I don't really see anything I would do to your system but sell the 285 now while you can make some money off of it and get a 5870. I think your CPU is fine @ 3.4. With my system all I am going to do is upgrade the video card then wait for the Gulftown i7 and do a whole system upgrade.

snowmanwithahat
02-14-10, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I definitely appreciate the input.

As far as my upgrade path goes the only thing outside of this cpu upgrade i'm looking to do is going to be a full overhaul in 2-3 years when I get out of college

So until them I'm looking at small stuff and relatively temporary.

While I do welcome the suggestion of selling my 285 I don't think I can.... I've been doing alot of work lately with CUDA programming in linux which ties me to an nvidia gpu. I have considered selling the 285 and getting a 480 as soon as they hit... but I don't think i can put up with the down time of 1 - 2 weeks (best case, I know).

It's a shame ATI's stream technology is so far behind nvidia. I really can't do without CUDA right now

Vincentx77
02-15-10, 02:59 AM
I dunno if this will help you, but I have a Q9550 C0 (bad stepping revision) @ 3.8GHz on air. I'm not sure how much the unlocked multiplier would matter, as I can pretty much make mine hit virtually any MHz I want by adjusting the FSB. But that's clearly something that's up to you. I'm not sure that it'd really be that much faster than what you've already got.

snowmanwithahat
02-15-10, 08:33 AM
I dunno if this will help you, but I have a Q9550 C0 (bad stepping revision) @ 3.8GHz on air. I'm not sure how much the unlocked multiplier would matter, as I can pretty much make mine hit virtually any MHz I want by adjusting the FSB. But that's clearly something that's up to you. I'm not sure that it'd really be that much faster than what you've already got.

Thanks again for the input. The unlocked multiplier is desired only because I doubt my memory's ability to go past 800mhz. the lowest divider i can get is a 1:1 so at 4ghz on a Q9550 I'd be pushing ~470 on the fsb resulting in a 941 memory speed. It was cheap stuff so I'm trying to avoid it being the bottleneck (400x10) would be ideal.

Right now it's not looking like I'm going to do it... although it's tempting. I just got my taxes back and its almost enough for an i7 rig with 2 480's in sli when it comes out.... I'm trying to avoid the temptation of spending it all on just an incrimental upgrade lol

Gorion
02-19-10, 11:59 PM
I've been running a qx9650 since release at 3.6 ghz on air and it runs great. I keep the fsb at 400 and just change the multi.

I spent way more than 300 on mine and am very happy with it.