PDA

View Full Version : Got my PNY GeForce FX 5900 Ultra!

surfhurleydude
07-08-03, 04:49 PM
This thing is pretty great... Didn't format yet, but I think i will in the next few days, just need to back up all of my stuff first. But, I just registry cleaned and installed nVidia drivers and things seem to be working pretty well.

I tested the coolbits AutoDetect feature and it autodetected clock speeds of 509/967!!!! Pretty amazing! I am leaving the speeds at 500/900 though.

Ran a quick run of 3dmark2003 using quality settings and got a score of 6247.

Now here's some game impressions, but no numbers...

UT2003 - lost my benchmark numbers with my 9700 Pro, but overall gameplay feels faster!

Warcraft 3 - While in direct 3d mode, it seems to be about as fast (maybe a little slower) than my 9700 Pro, but when I set the game to run in OpenGL mode, the GeForce is extremely fast. Much faster than my Radeon 9700 Pro.

Neverwinter Nights - This runs so much faster than my Radeon 9700 Pro it's not even funny. The game was built around nVidia hardware in the first place though, so it's not really that surprising...

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield - I think it runs about the same. It's a little bit smoother in some areas, but it's not really too noticable.

Certain unnamable alpha - Let's just say that the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra blows it away... I think it puts to rest the entire "ATi didn't have enough time to optimize" thing, because based off of when this thing was made, nVidia didn't either.

Card is VERY quiet btw, in 3d mode it's a bit louder than the Radeon 9700 Pro, but it's not really anything I'm too concerned about. You have to listen to it to tell...And as nVidia put it, when you're playing games, you can't really hear it as much, and that really is the truth...to a certain extent, at least. But not to worry, the GF FX 5900 Ultra definitely is fine.

I'll be back with some more benchies and impressions later...

bkswaney
07-08-03, 04:53 PM
Glad to hear it. :)

Untill you use a 5800U card or better from NV you have
no idea just how sweet they are. ;)

Enjoy that bad boy. I'm going to get one soon myself. :D

Nv40
07-08-03, 05:25 PM
RAven shield Rocks! :)

i like the settings 1600x1200 AA 4xS and AF8x ,its not playable in my machine and geforce4 :D , but looks so sweet ..

surfhurleydude
07-08-03, 06:05 PM
OK, after 30 minutes of playing UT2003, I think I need to say something that REALLY needs to be said...

For all intents and purposes, AA and Ansio quality from both ATi and nVidia are EQUAL.

In reviews, comparing them side by side, yes, ATi's methods look better... But having just switched from an ATi card to an nVidia card and NOT running them side by side, the GF FX 5900U's 4xAA looks pretty much as close to my Radeon 9700 Pro's as I can remember. I'm really sorry that people need to nitpick and find flaws with every little thing and zoom in 500%, but from my own personal gameplay experiences, I think the AA quality from both companies is pretty much equal and are fine by me... I'm sure I'll take heat for it, and nobody will agree with me, but whatever... As long as I'm happy, I don't really care if you disagree with me :)

aapo
07-08-03, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
For all intents and purposes, AA and Ansio quality from both ATi and nVidia are EQUAL.

I'm surprised how differently different people see the IQ differences. Back in 90's I used to draw pictures with Amiga, and to be able to draw quality pictures I had to do much of hand-made antialiasing because there was so few colors available. Near-horizontal or near-vertical lines are tricky to antialias correctly, but with hard work I learnt the correct way to do it by hand. Nowadays I'm of course very picky about AA IQ, and when I see nVidia-style AA my eyes start to hurt very badly (without zooming).

As long as I'm happy, I don't really care if you disagree with me :)

That's the spirit! :p

Ywap
07-08-03, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by surfhurleydude

Card is VERY quiet btw, in 3d mode it's a bit louder than the Radeon 9700 Pro, but it's not really anything I'm too concerned about. You have to listen to it to tell...And as nVidia put it, when you're playing games, you can't really hear it as much, and that really is the truth...to a certain extent, at least. But not to worry, the GF FX 5900 Ultra definitely is fine.

Is it close to "completely" silent in 2d mode?

Nv40
07-08-03, 08:24 PM
Certain unnamable alpha - Let's just say that the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra blows it away... I think it puts to rest the entire "ATi didn't have enough time to optimize" thing, because based off of when this thing was made, nVidia didn't either.

yes that was the ATI optimized demo that was used to demostrate how fast the R300 was againts the Geforce4.
cant wait to play Doom3 . :)

The Baron
07-08-03, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Nv40
yes that was the ATI optimized demo that was used to demostrate how fast the R300 was againts the Geforce4.
cant wait to play Doom3 . :)
*sigh*

Read EVERY POST I'VE EVER MADE regarding the alpha and why benchmarking with it is nothing short of COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOCY.

surfhurleydude
07-08-03, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Ywap
Is it close to "completely" silent in 2d mode?

Well, considering my computer is about as silent as computer's get (or close to...only fans are GPU fan, Panaflo CPU fan (<28DB), and the Antec TruPower exhaust), it doesn't make any more excess noise than I am used to. It's as close to silent as you are going to get without it being passive!