PDA

View Full Version : W00t! New RAM

Riptide
07-10-03, 09:07 AM
Replacing my Corsair PC2700 XMS with this... Should allow me to use some insane timings since I'll be underclocking it. :)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ+EL+DDR+PC-3200+Dual+Channel+Platinum

stncttr908
07-10-03, 10:35 AM
That's the first time I've ever seen someone go from Corsair to OCZ. :cool:

Smokey
07-10-03, 10:48 AM
:thumbsup:

Let us all know how you get on ;)

Im sending back my stick of Corsair tomorrow, its faulty hoping the replacement should help my overclocking ;)

digitalwanderer
07-10-03, 10:58 AM
Not as nice, it's just some matched sticks of PC3200 Geil....but it's coming with a shiny-new retail Barton 2500+ so I can try out this K7N2-L in Bubbles finally today. :cool:

On the truck, delivery should be imminent...I can't wait!!! :D

Riptide
07-10-03, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by stncttr908
It wasn't an easy choice. The Corsair TWINX seems to have occasional problems with canterwoods, or at least the IC-7 anyway. That, and it wasn't quite as fast as the OCZ. The Mushkin I looked at was slightly faster than the OCZ but for an additional $100. It wasn't worth the premium, so I went with the OCZ.

Never had a bit of trouble with my Corsair XMS. I'm putting one stick in my girl's Dell and selling another to a friend for a cool fifty spot. :cool:

I'll need a C series P4 or a prescott to take full advantage of this OCZ since my 533mhz bus limits me to pc2700 speeds. Should, however, be able to pull 2-2-2-5-1T though which is nice and tight.

jAkUp
07-10-03, 12:05 PM
yea my corsair wont do 2-2-2-5 on my ic7 either... wont let me choose any type of game accelerator either... might be because im overclocking the fsb though

stncttr908
07-10-03, 09:42 PM
I hope I won't have any troubles. I'm ordering in the morning. However I'll be on an nforce2 platform, and I've heard nothing but good things about the NF7-S and Corsair memory.

Riptide
07-11-03, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
yea my corsair wont do 2-2-2-5 on my ic7 either... wont let me choose any type of game accelerator either... might be because im overclocking the fsb though
Hey jakup, check out the below, taken from my thread over on abxzone:

"RAS to CAS should be 3 or higher with the p875.

I jsut asked the same question to OCZ tech support and their reply
indicated the Gold 3500 ought to be fine with 2-2-3-5 on a non O/C'd P4C800 Deluxe with a 400 FSB CPU."

Looks like the 875/865 can't handle RAS to CAS of less than 3 no matter what... :(

jAkUp
07-11-03, 10:58 AM
yup your right.. setting ras to cas to 3, and the rest to 2 or 5 did the trick.

before it wouldnt even finish the bios screen, just a hang. i still cant choose any game accelerator though:(

Riptide
07-11-03, 11:35 AM
Glad to hear that helped out a bit. Sorry about the game accelerator... This is kinda OT, but are you having any problems with your northbridge fan? I have a friend with an IC-7 and his sounds as if it's developing problems.

I am disappointed that I won't be able to use 2-2-2-5-1T timings with my new OCZ and my 875. My current timings are 2-3-3-7-1T with my two sticks of Corsair so I'm sure I'll see a minor improvement but I'll need a C series P4 to really take off with this memory @ PC3200 speeds. Shucks...

jAkUp
07-11-03, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
Glad to hear that helped out a bit. Sorry about the game accelerator... This is kinda OT, but are you having any problems with your northbridge fan? I have a friend with an IC-7 and his sounds as if it's developing problems.

I am disappointed that I won't be able to use 2-2-2-5-1T timings with my new OCZ and my 875. My current timings are 2-3-3-7-1T with my two sticks of Corsair so I'm sure I'll see a minor improvement but I'll need a C series P4 to really take off with this memory @ PC3200 speeds. Shucks...

what if you overclocked your fsb a little???

well as for the northbridge fan, i havent had any problems.. yet.. i just got the motherboard, about a week ago... so i dunno if problems will start happening this soon. but i have also heard that some other people are having problems as well... if it ever does fail i guess i will just rip it off and stick an orb on it:)

Riptide
07-11-03, 12:28 PM
It'd probably be easier to get the orb on there then bother with a lousy RMA. :(

I will overclock my FSB slightly. My 875PBZ allows a 4% "burn-in" feature which boosts the FSB up to around 138mhz. Not much I know, but it's a pretty safe little overclock. Supposedly there is a new app coming out from Intel that will allow me to do some more tweaking. Perhaps at that point I can juice the FSB up a bit further. We'll see..

B&R
07-12-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
There will be more.. OCZ rocks.

Riptide
07-14-03, 12:23 PM
My OCZ was either defective outright or incompatible with my intel D875PBZ. It's a long story and if you really want you can read about it over on the intel chipset forums @ abxzone.

I'm going to try some mushkin. If that doesn't work, the intel motherboard is going in the compost heap.