PDA

View Full Version : Computer reboots for no reason!?!?!?

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
07-10-03, 05:17 PM
Im having some trouble here....

I just got a new video card (5600) from EVGA on monday.

On tuesday, I got a new fan and a power supply. All the reviews ive seen of this power supply are good, its not a generic POS.

Ive gotten a few infinite loop errors probably caused by the 44.65 drivers combined with my 5600 card.

And starting 2 nights ago, my computer will randomly reboot once in a while... without warning! Whether sitting at the desktop, doing nothing, or browsing these forums (just happened a couple minutes ago).

Any ideas?

here is an event from the eventlog when the computer rebooted:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 7/10/2003
Time: 5:11:06 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JOES
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x00041785, 0xc0c00000, 0x00018b1e, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071003-02.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I checked that .dmp file and its just gibrish and misc words all over... not even an error message I dont think.

Riptide
07-10-03, 05:25 PM
You might want to disable the automatic reboot after a blue screen. You might be able to get some more information from the actual blue screen itself rather than the error report that comes up once you get back into the shell.

CaptNKILL
07-10-03, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
You might want to disable the automatic reboot after a blue screen. You might be able to get some more information from the actual blue screen itself rather than the error report that comes up once you get back into the shell.

ok, its disabled....

I'll see if theres any more info the next time it does it.... it is rare tho...

Smokey
07-10-03, 07:52 PM
reboots are often the cause of the PSU, maybe look there first, even the best PSUs can fail. Ive had no probs with the 44.65 drivers myself, and the fact that you are crashing even when at the desktop, I noticed that you are overclocking, whats the AGP sitting at? is it locked at 66MHz? When overclocking, there is a chance that the memory could be causing the problem also. Ive just had this trouble shooting stuff on my pc, turns out that my brand new stick of Corsair ram is bad, I ran memtest86 to confirm this. Maybe run memtest86 overnight on your current settings and see if the ram fails.

Not sure if any of that helps, but thats all I can suggest really, first things to always check if you can is the psu and the ram, have fun :p

CaptNKILL
07-10-03, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
reboots are often the cause of the PSU, maybe look there first, even the best PSUs can fail. Ive had no probs with the 44.65 drivers myself, and the fact that you are crashing even when at the desktop, I noticed that you are overclocking, whats the AGP sitting at? is it locked at 66MHz? When overclocking, there is a chance that the memory could be causing the problem also. Ive just had this trouble shooting stuff on my pc, turns out that my brand new stick of Corsair ram is bad, I ran memtest86 to confirm this. Maybe run memtest86 overnight on your current settings and see if the ram fails.

Not sure if any of that helps, but thats all I can suggest really, first things to always check if you can is the psu and the ram, have fun :p

Its not the RAM. Ive been running it like this for a while now. Besides, the ram isnt overclocked, its running at 333Mhz.
My AGP is locked at 66Mhz.

I just got the crash again, but I got the blue screen this time (I disabled auto restart). It said basicly the same thing as the event log. I think its probably an incompatability with the 44.65 drivers, because if the PSU was messed up, wouldnt the computer just restart completely rather than give an error?

If it matters, I just got done with a 3 hour session of DoD. It was running fine, no glitches, no errors. I exited the game, left the room for a few minutes, came back and there was a BSoD.

CaptNKILL
07-10-03, 09:59 PM
heres the log:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x00041785, 0xc0c00000, 0x000179ef, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071003-03.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

CaptNKILL
07-10-03, 10:17 PM
Hey, MS actually has HELPFULL info about the "bugcheck" error.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q137539

There isnt anything there about a faulty power supply, so im going to cancel that out for the moment.

BUT, is it possible that this particular PSU is giving less juice to my CPU than my other PSU? Motherboard Monitor says that the CPU is getting 1.57-1.58 (fluctuating between the two) volts. Its set to 1.6, so maybe thats the cause. I dont recall it ever being that far below (3 hundreths isnt much, but ive got it OCed 400Mhz... that can make a difference) normal.

I'll go boost my voltage a TEENY TINY BIT.... I wish I could just raise it like 5 hundredths... I love having my CPU run cool at default voltage :)

CaptNKILL
07-10-03, 10:25 PM
well, I just raised it by 0.025 volts... hahah, thats pretty good :)

MBM now fluctuates between 1.60 and 1.62.... hopefully that fixes it :)

CaptNKILL
07-11-03, 12:04 AM
OK, this is really starting to piss me off.

Everything has been working semi-fine all week... only had the rebooting and infinite loop occur once or twice...

today ive had the reboot\blue screen twice and the infinite loop just popped up for the SECOND time today.... what the hell is going on!?!?!?!?!?!??

nin_fragile14
07-11-03, 02:44 AM
It's probably your power supply, as Smokey said. I was getting random reboots a few months ago and thought it was my CPU that had gone bad; instead, I replaced the power supply with an Antec TruePower and I haven't had the problem since.

CaptNKILL
07-11-03, 02:54 AM
uhm.... possibly fixed the infinite loop :confused:

I tried a few different BIOS settings for AGP and RAM and nothing would stop my ZSNES emulator from infinite looping.

I just installed the 44.71 drivers and voila, no more crashing in ZSNES...!?!?!? Could it really have been THAT easy? I couldnt play the game for more than 2-3 minutes today before it would do that, but I just played it for about 15 minutes, then left the game running (while I sleapt!) for an hour and a half and it never crashed! And since I turned my CPU voltage up, I havnt had the reboot\bugcheck error!

I reeeaaaaallly hope this is all fixed.... I havnt had a fully functioning PC in months...

Nephilim
07-11-03, 04:37 AM
Yes...it is just that easy.

Infinite loop errors are caused by the video card drivers. When I was at Dell we had a BAD rash of those problems because of some faulty Dell Nvidia drivers that got shipped out with a LOT of systems.

Update to the latest released drivers and bang, no more infinite loop errors.

CaptNKILL
07-11-03, 04:39 AM
Just played an hour of DoD, left the computer at the desktop for a few minutes, came back and everything was still fine.... YAY!

Now I just have to quiet down this damned side case fan... its driving me nuts...

Smokey
07-11-03, 06:29 AM
Good to hear that your system seems stable now, I made my post late, so I overlocked the close details of your system :p

I too have had an unstable system for a little while now, so I understand the frustrations. In windows, Im 100% stable, games is a different story. MOH would give me a windows error after playing without problems for about 30mins-1hr, RavenShield can crash within mins or within hours, the other strange thing is also is that sometimes my games just crash to desktop without any errors, game just closes. I ran memtest86 (mem@166)and got 288 errors the second time I ran it, after an hour or so, so Corsair told me to send it back. Sent it of to the place I bought it this morning so hopefully I will have a replacement in a week or so, and then have a 100% stable system.

CaptNKILL
07-11-03, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
Good to hear that your system seems stable now, I made my post late, so I overlocked the close details of your system :p

I too have had an unstable system for a little while now, so I understand the frustrations. In windows, Im 100% stable, games is a different story. MOH would give me a windows error after playing without problems for about 30mins-1hr, RavenShield can crash within mins or within hours, the other strange thing is also is that sometimes my games just crash to desktop without any errors, game just closes. I ran memtest86 (mem@166)and got 288 errors the second time I ran it, after an hour or so, so Corsair told me to send it back. Sent it of to the place I bought it this morning so hopefully I will have a replacement in a week or so, and then have a 100% stable system.

Good luck with your replacement RAM.

I think RAM is one of the more annoying parts of computers, because its so picky! One little thing out of place and all of the sudden your crashing like crazy and your on a wild goose chase, looking for the offending part\program.

I dont even KNOW why my system works with the RAM set up the way it is, lol, VERY lucky I guess! The thing would BSoD during windows install when I had my 2 completely different brands of 256Mb PC-2700 in the same memory channel (single channel mode). When I placed them so that they are in dual-channel (which usually requires 2 totaly identical ram chips), it works perfectly fine!?!?!? Maybe I should get that memtest program just to make sure.... or maybe not, I dont want to spend any more money on replacement parts... Im supposed to be saving up for a video card!!! GRR!!!:D

CaptNKILL
07-13-03, 12:04 AM
Well, this is the final (hopefully) update on this.

Last night I was in and out of my room for about 7 hours, with BF 1942 running the whole time :)

I would play a bit, then go outside (party). It was about 55 degrees F that night, with the door open (screen door closed tho) 10 feet from my computer, so it stayed pretty cool. After 7 whopping hours of BF1942, I exited and my CPU temp was 43C!

Used the comp all day today and didnt have one crash...I think im stable!

YAY!!!

:dance: :super: :nana: :bounce:

CaptNKILL
07-15-03, 03:50 PM
Well, its not over :mad:

I still get the bugcheck errors :(

I Got more than one of them today! Why the hell is my PC so inconsistant? I havent changed anything since the problems stopped.

After one of my errors, I rebooted and Windows wouldnt boot! It would just go to a blue screen! One of the errors mentioned ACPI.sys. I rebooted again and got another one of the normal bugcheck errors. I noticed one of the possible ways to resolve it was to disable video mem\Bios chaching. I disabled them and it booted fine.. havnt had a problem since..... I have no clue, whats going on :(

The Baron
07-15-03, 03:51 PM
I Got more than one of them today! Why the hell is my PC so inconsistant? I havent changed anything since the problems stopped.
Two Words: Bad Power. Try to find somebody with a UPS and see if that fixes it.

CaptNKILL
07-16-03, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Two Words: Bad Power. Try to find somebody with a UPS and see if that fixes it.
Did you mean an Uninteruptable Power Supply, or a PSU?

I dont know why I would have bad power (outlet) NOW. Everything worked fine until I upgraded my PSU, FAN and Video Card.

I really hope its not my PSU, I dont feel like going through the replacement process AGAIN. :(

The Baron
07-16-03, 01:36 PM
UPS. Not PSU. It's probably not you, it's probably your power company. Why? I dunno. But, for example, a guy I know had two computers that sit next to each other both crash with really bizarre errors (a warped BSOD, hard locks, etc.) within 20 seconds of each other. It was... power.

Then again, it might be your PSU.

CaptNKILL
07-16-03, 05:00 PM
Well, its still happening....

Once in a while I get a blue screen that mentions "kmixer.sys" which is the "Kernel Mode Audio Mixer". Mine is version 5.1.2600.1106. Id really appreciate it if someone would check their Windows\system32\drivers or Windows\system32\dllcache folders and tell me what version of kmixer.dll they have. Also, mine is 156Kb.

Also, Im having a problem with Windows Update. For a long time (months) I havent been able to find any updates. I scan and everything comes up with 0 files. Ive tried the fixes on windows update help, but nothing works... any ideas on that?

The Baron
07-16-03, 05:28 PM
Also, Im having a problem with Windows Update. For a long time (months) I havent been able to find any updates. I scan and everything comes up with 0 files. Ive tried the fixes on windows update help, but nothing works... any ideas on that?
That's Ultra Bizarre because a friend of mine was having EXACTLY the same problem over the weekend.

My Kmixer is the same version as yours, btw.

CaptNKILL
07-16-03, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
That's Ultra Bizarre because a friend of mine was having EXACTLY the same problem over the weekend.

My Kmixer is the same version as yours, btw.

aha! I fixed the windows update thingy!

Go to Tools\Internet Options: Language...
Is it empty? If so, add your language.
If it still doesnt work, your clock is probably way off (wrong month or year).

I found this stuff while searching the web. I didnt have "English(United States)" in my language selection thingy :p

I just downloaded a bunch of security updates, a patch for IE 6, and DX9.0a.... I doubt that will fix my BSOD but at least I'll be up to date :rolleyes2

CaptNKILL
07-17-03, 01:17 PM
Well, its dead......

Im on my Gateway computer right now(400Mhz P2, 96Mb PC-100 and an STB Velocity 128.... lol). My other PC wont even load windows without a blue screen. Ive gotten about 45 of them today. Every time I tried to use the internet to find a certain error message (I got about 12 different ones) I would get another blue screen. Now, safe mode or not, it just wont work.

I tried my old PSU, and I removed my GIEL memory stick...... no change at all.

All I need to do is get the freaking harddrive netoworked to back up my stuff (months worth of stuff ive created, downloaded), but like I said, not even safemode (with or without networking) works.

What did I do wrong? Why am I not allowed to own a functioning computer?

Maybe its just time to start blowing stuff up..... I'll visit Microsoft, heck, I might as well make a stop at Nvidia too... ive got a feeling that their bull**** IDE drivers are what corrupted my computer. The only reason I stayed with the 2.41 drivers was because 2.03 gave me sound problems, and 2.41 didnt. I wish things either WORKED or DIDNT, rather than WORKING for a month, then TOTALY &*#$*($ ME OVER!!!!!!!

Im just venting (funny, I remember typing that more than once this year already... WIERD!?!?!?). And dont worry, Im not seriously going to blow anything up.... I dont have the resources to do so :D

Wish me luck please. Every time I look at my computer my foot just wants to kiss the inside of that case while wearing a steel toe boot.... I already punched the case itself... im glad I DIDNT buy an alluminum case, this dent popped right back out, no marks on the case... :D

BTW, anyone have any tips on how to make computers NOT cause you to punch things? Ive been building them for about 5 years and have yet to figure that out.....
:kill: :rw: :banghead: :bs: :bash:

The Baron
07-17-03, 01:31 PM
1. On whatever computer you have that works, slipstream SP1 into an XP CD. It's pretty useful.

2. Reformat.

3. Hook the hard drive up using the SATA adapter.

4. Set vcore to 1.65.

5. Install XP SP1.

6. Install nF2 2.03 MINUS IDE driver. Not 2.41, not 2.79, 2.03.

7. Install all of the Windows updates including DX9.

8. Install 44.65.

9. Run Prime95 and memtest86.