PDA

View Full Version : If one thing could have been improved in the 5900Ultra...

Pages : [1] 2 3

extreme_dB
07-14-03, 03:57 AM
No comment, I just want to post the poll. :)

Behemoth
07-14-03, 04:42 AM
pretty hard question.... i cant make up my mind!! all are very good improvements!!! except if you ask me only one thing i dont want, i will say triplehead without thinking :D
ok, i voted AA. ;)

Skinner
07-14-03, 04:47 AM
Def the AF hq speed

Behemoth
07-14-03, 05:10 AM
would 20% raw speed jump cover the full trilinear AF/high per. AF speed difference? :)

StealthHawk
07-14-03, 05:11 AM
I was going to say shading speed, but I definitely change my mind to better FSAA quality(for now). Once all those DX9 games come out(yes, they are coming out) maybe I will realize my vote was wrong :p

extreme_dB
07-14-03, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
would 20% raw speed jump cover the full trilinear AF/high per. AF speed difference? :)

I don't think so, judging by the huge performance hit in UT2003 with just trilinear enabled/disabled (something like 145 vs 93fps at one resolution). The result was posted on beyond3d, but the site seems to be down at the moment so I can't check.

aapo
07-14-03, 06:44 AM
except if you ask me only one thing i dont want, i will say triplehead without thinking :D

That's funny, because first thing that popped into my mind was triplehead. It would make FX5900 like Parhelia, but a lot faster. That would be an awesome card for racing or flying simulations!

Behemoth
07-14-03, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by aapo
That's funny, because first thing that popped into my mind was triplehead. It would make FX5900 like Parhelia, but a lot faster. That would be an awesome card for racing or flying simulations!
hehe, i dont feel the need to use more than one monitor yet. :D

Kruno
07-14-03, 07:11 AM
I want to be able to use trilinear in conjunction with AF.

BigFish7
07-14-03, 07:22 AM
i voted shading speed although you might not need it now but it would surely longer the card's life (future gaming).

1.it can hold much longer without the need to replace it.
2. fAnTIcs post "how bad NV35 is" will be cut by half :D

the 2nd line is just a funny thought the 1st one is the real reason yet it could be nice to hear less of this "how Bad the...".
:o

BigFish7
07-14-03, 07:27 AM
btw, great idea for a poll i would like to see more of them moreover more often over nVNews.

Hanners
07-14-03, 07:28 AM
I voted for AA, but I was really torn between that and Shader speed.

BigFish7
07-14-03, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Hanners
I voted for AA, but I was really torn between that and Shader speed.

maybe shader speed might be a better thing due to longer life on the market in the future :confused: , bah tho still not sure about the vote :p maybe i should have gone with AA :rolleyes:

BigFish7
07-14-03, 07:40 AM
i know one thing that you have forgotten to include in your vote :p
An FX5900U with FxFlow ;)

extreme_dB
07-14-03, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by BigFish7
i know one thing that you have forgotten to include in your vote :p
An FX5900U with FxFlow ;)

I protect you from yourself. :p

scott123
07-14-03, 08:44 AM
Since I have both and can compare, my biggest complaint is with the lask of fsaa and anisotropic performance when compared to my 9800 Pro.

I don't inderstand the latest nV News review they posted here: http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/gigacube/gamebuster/radeon.html because I'm getting the opposite results.

A lot of other sites like Game PC who have review the 5900 agree with my results like seen here: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=9

DivotMaker
07-14-03, 09:03 AM
I did not see an option for "All of the above"....:D

Behemoth
07-14-03, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by scott123
Since I have both and can compare, my biggest complaint is with the lask of fsaa and anisotropic performance when compared to my 9800 Pro.

I don't inderstand the latest nV News review they posted here: http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/gigacube/gamebuster/radeon.html because I'm getting the opposite results.

A lot of other sites like Game PC who have review the 5900 agree with my results like seen here: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=9
OT: i just took a quick glance at the 2 sites, both of them reviewed different set of games using different setups and different settings. it would be probably that for some games, some settings and some setups fx5900ultra does perform faster, while 9800pro performs faster on other games, other settings and other setups.

rokzy
07-14-03, 09:23 AM
lol looking at the results so far, it seems what most people would like is for nvidia to rebadge the R350 as an FX ;)

DivotMaker
07-14-03, 09:25 AM
OT: i just took a quick glance at the 2 sites, both of them reviewed different set of games using different setups and different settings. it would be probably that for some games, some settings and some setups fx5900ultra does perform faster, while 9800pro performs faster on other games, other settings and other setups.

Adding to the confusion....

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/msi_geforce_fx5900u_vtd256_review/default.asp

extreme_dB
07-14-03, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
I did not see an option for "All of the above"....:D

"All of the above...for only $699.99" :)

Edit: On sale from $749.99 :afro2:

The Baron
07-14-03, 10:10 AM
I have a feeling you might have posted the NV40 Ultra feature list ;)

Morrow
07-14-03, 10:27 AM
it's pretty obvious that this poll has been made by an ATI fan and not by an unsatisfied GF 5900 Fx Ultra owner which I still have to find. For the record, I own a 5900 Ultra for about 2 weeks, so:

I don't know what the AF problem is you're talking about because I run 8xAF in Quality mode with high framerates (4xAA enabled) and I can be sure that nv 8xAF matches ATI 16xAF settings in terms of IQ.

Tripplehead? Does ATI offer it? If you need it, go for Matrox.

Why 550MHz GPU clockspeed? Is 450MHz not enough? Anyway the 5900 runs stable at 500MHz so what's the problem? This make no sense (other useless poll choices for a P4 3.2GHz e.g.: 3.4GHz, same heat, with typical overclocking headroom or Audi S3 240PS: 260PS, same fuel consumption with typical tuning headroom) WTF? This can be said about almost everything...

Concerning FP32, you still don't seem to have a clue how it was meant to be used. FP32 precision had been designed to be used full-scene but just for shader programs which can visually improve quality when using this higher precision! FP16 is definitely fast enough, I still haven't seen a game which doesn't run at above 60fps in 1280x1024x32 on a 5900 Ultra.

This only valid point for this poll is the first choice: FSAA. Although performance is not bad, sometimes in special situations the AA algorithm is inferior to ATI. But since you can run all games at 1600x1200, this really is not much of a problem.

BigFish7
07-14-03, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
I have a feeling you might have posted the NV40 Ultra feature list ;)

nah the NV40 is using 700MHzCore clock :eek:

dam i should have said it now i'm doomed :rolleyes:
Heh ;)
making fun is :cool:
i can dream :rolleyes: 700MHzcore ...
:rofl

extreme_dB
07-14-03, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Morrow
flamebait

I'm speechless. I'm not even going to bother to answer back and have this thread degrade into another Nvidia vs ATI spat. I'm happy that you have your perfect card. The end.