PDA

View Full Version : Question on RAID0 Performance, no not what you think...

shaker718
02-17-10, 11:04 AM
So I've been running a RAID 0 set up for the past year or so. I've got 2 WD 640gb Black edition drives, short stroked in two partitions, one 300gb and one at 892gb. Performance is phenomenal, and read and write speeds are great.

Here are my questions:

I have been a little concerned about redundancy with my set up since I keep my work files in the larger second partition. I am not stupid, I have my work backed up to an external HD. I am about to wipe the C drive to install Win7 64bit retail and wondered if I should break the raid and use the drives as separate ones. I wonder how much of a hit would I receive performance wise, ie boot and shutdown, opening large files, unrar'ing archives etc if I break the raid. Should I just buy another larger drive as storage or a small SSD (60gb) as a boot drive in order to keep performance similar? ?

Seems like a waste of space to get a third drive as storage since right now I have all together over 1100gb.

Any thoughts?

frenchy2k1
02-17-10, 12:23 PM
I've solved that conundrum by going for a RAID5 array. You get full reliability, less loss of space and some of the advantages of raid0 access speed. Although to be honest, my interest lies more in reliability than speed and the big gain of raid5 over raid1 is space (on 4 drives, only 25% used for redundancy).

I personally fear raid0 because of the increased risk of failure.

lduguay
02-17-10, 12:33 PM
I use 2xSSD in RAID 0 as the boot drive. I do not need to say how fast it is, so i suggest that you install 7 on a SSD and keep your existing array.

shaker718
02-17-10, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. Since I back up regularly, I guess the thing to do for the time being is to keep the array (I'd hate to miss out on the speed since I am so used to it) and save up for a SSD drive to reinstall on. Thanks.

hell_of_doom227
02-17-10, 01:06 PM
I have two X25-M 80Gb in Raid 0 and performance is crazy. I get 550M/s for read :D and btw if Windows 7 gets stuck with only 5.9 in WEI it is because MS is retarded and WEI is broken. Same happens with HD5870 video cards where you get stuck at 6.0 unless you remove SSD and install HDD...go figure.

Don't follow WEI as measurement tool, run real benches. WEI should be killed!

lduguay
02-17-10, 01:31 PM
You have a small WEI, I get 7.9 across the board except my CPU (7.6). Your WEI is borked, i have a bigger WEI than yours (nana2)

Yeah WEI score is teh junk :headexplode: