PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII on X360 gimped.

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
02-18-10, 10:33 AM
Not only are the FMV 720p with compressed Audio and on 3 discs compared to 1080p FMV with uncompressed Audio on a single Blu-Ray but as a whole the entire game on the X360 is running at a sub 720p resolution (1024x576 to be exact) while the PS3 version is a full 1280x720, Both have 2xMSAA.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19857881&postcount=12055

Square said the versions would be identical other then the FMV and multiple discs... guess this is what you get when you switch to multiplatform half way through the development of the game.

ViN86
02-18-10, 10:47 AM
I am not a FFXIII fan, but this news sucks for 360 owners :lol:

Mr. Hunt
02-18-10, 03:20 PM
Still can't decide if I will end up buying this one or not... I HATED FFXII... but I hear the battle system in this one isn't the same garbage that was in XII... so maybe... But then again I won't get to play it for more than a week because GoW3 comes out the week after... soo.....

HiCZoK4
02-18-10, 04:34 PM
GoW 33333333!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn me! :lol:

DansFace
02-18-10, 04:50 PM
ah well I still plan on getting it for 360 :D

DansFace
02-18-10, 04:54 PM
just curious why would they have to run the game at a sub 720P resolution just because of disc size?
Texture issues?

NaitoSan
02-18-10, 05:30 PM
I think it's because of White Engine since it was actually built up for PS2 then moved to PS3 in middle of development. It may have some trouble running on 360 hardware.

More likely will get it on PS3. My PS3 need a little more loving. :o

|MaguS|
02-18-10, 05:48 PM
just curious why would they have to run the game at a sub 720P resolution just because of disc size?
Texture issues?

Performance issues usually is the cause of lower resolution console games.

NaitoSan
02-18-10, 07:15 PM
More screenshots of XBOX 360 version from Square-Enix.

http://kotaku.com/5475017/these-are-the-xbox-360-final-fantasy-xiii-shots-you-were-looking-for

|MaguS|
02-18-10, 09:00 PM
ouch

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39482&stc=1&d=1266544837

This is as bad as the Ghostbuster port because of how Square handled it. They lied constantly saying the versions were identical and even put out fake shots twice that were photoshoped poorly.

Heres another comparison, I think Square even had a different team port it... the translation is different...

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39483&stc=1&d=1266545400

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39484&stc=1&d=1266545400

Mr. Hunt
02-18-10, 09:39 PM
Wow... I expected a difference, but I figured with it being on 3 discs it wouldn't be that much of a difference...

Lyme
02-18-10, 10:43 PM
Can't understand why they changed the text. The hair looks pretty horrible in the 360 shot, I bet someone at MS is really pissed at SE about now.

Ninja Prime
02-18-10, 10:56 PM
Performance issues usually is the cause of lower resolution console games.

Seems odd since every other game is pretty much the exact opposite and Xbox has the better graphics chip and development platform. Maybe japanese developers are just stupid? Or bad? Or can't make a game without a bunch of crappy gay looking cliche anime characters?

Just sayin'.

Ninja Prime
02-18-10, 10:58 PM
ouch

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39482&stc=1&d=1266544837

This is as bad as the Ghostbuster port because of how Square handled it. They lied constantly saying the versions were identical and even put out fake shots twice that were photoshoped poorly.

Heres another comparison, I think Square even had a different team port it... the translation is different...

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39483&stc=1&d=1266545400

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39484&stc=1&d=1266545400

The real question here is, does anyone actually want to play this ^. Do you really want it to "look better". :headexplode:

|MaguS|
02-18-10, 10:59 PM
Seems odd since every other game is pretty much the exact opposite and Xbox has the better graphics chip and development platform. Maybe japanese developers are just stupid? Or bad? Or can't make a game without a bunch of crappy gay looking cliche anime characters?

Just sayin'.

Yeah, has a better graphics chip that can't churn out the best graphics on consoles...

tornadog
02-18-10, 11:08 PM
I live in ignorant bliss of the Final Fantasy videogame series. My only exposure, albeit an unfortunate one was the animation movie that terribly sucked...my coworkers have been going on and on abt FFXIII, but I spent my money on Heavy Rain and GOW3

Mr. Hunt
02-18-10, 11:59 PM
The real question here is, does anyone actually want to play this ^. Do you really want it to "look better". :headexplode:

Lol. Nice deflection. The 360 version looks like crap, get over it. I am not saying anything bad about the 360 because of it, because I know Bayonetta on PS3 looks like garbage when compared to the 360 version. Sometimes ports just go wrong... and take up 3 discs...

NaitoSan
02-19-10, 12:03 AM

Just sayin'.
Well, in most cases XBOX 360 is a better development platform but White Engine which Final Fantasy XIII runs on was built ground up for PS2 then moved to PS3. Microsoft is kind of reason why FFXIII took so long in development because they had to figure out how to get White Engine to run on XBOX 360 hardware... so they probably experienced some issues and deadline. No wonder Square Enix decided not to build their own engine in the future and stick with Unreal Engine 3 to speed up the development as well go multi-platform with future games.

But really, it depends on games looking best on either- most ports tend to look better on XBOX 360 but PS3 certainly has some best looking games like Uncharted 2.

Ninja Prime
02-19-10, 02:53 AM
Well, in most cases XBOX 360 is a better development platform but White Engine which Final Fantasy XIII runs on was built ground up for PS2 then moved to PS3. Microsoft is kind of reason why FFXIII took so long in development because they had to figure out how to get White Engine to run on XBOX 360 hardware... so they probably experienced some issues and deadline. No wonder Square Enix decided not to build their own engine in the future and stick with Unreal Engine 3 to speed up the development as well go multi-platform with future games.

But really, it depends on games looking best on either- most ports tend to look better on XBOX 360 but PS3 certainly has some best looking games like Uncharted 2.

So basically, squares engine sucks.

Ninja Prime
02-19-10, 02:54 AM
Yeah, has a better graphics chip that can't churn out the best graphics on consoles...

That's your opinion, from a self-proclaimed sony fanboy. The reality is much different. Most 360 games look better than most PS3 games, thats fact.

Viral
02-19-10, 02:59 AM
The engine was built with PS3 in mind so it's no huge surprise. I still think the X360 is a more powerful platform, but I'd rather have a PS3 and PC for my two gaming systems mainly for the variety in games between the two systems.

Ninja Prime
02-19-10, 03:02 AM
Lol. Nice deflection. The 360 version looks like crap, get over it. I am not saying anything bad about the 360 because of it, because I know Bayonetta on PS3 looks like garbage when compared to the 360 version. Sometimes ports just go wrong... and take up 3 discs...

I'm not deflecting anything, I'm saying it looks like the same sh!tty game the last 7 FF games were.

jeffmd
02-19-10, 03:03 AM
FF13 is quite possibly the best looking thing on ps3.. are you sure its actually using any code over from the ps2 engines? esp since I heard it was programed on the pc. Saying the 360 graphics chip is superior is a pretty large inaccuracy. The hybrid pipeline design and main cpu/3 core architecture make it fairly straight foward and easy to program for. However square is been programing for the ps2's multi chip design for many many years now. Each game looking better then the next. It is no surprise that they have a firm grasp on the PS3 and its capabilities.

This simply showes that their xbox 360 port is abit rushed, and not surprisingly so. Weve heard its been coming to ps3 for many years now, and only half way through it was suddenly revealed it will be on xbox too. That combined with the fact that FF13 was falling behind so bad that the versus development team was pulled from their project to help finish 13, I am not shocked at all that the xbox port has issues.

Good thing is this is something that can be patched later to improve graphics and performance.

As for the multiple disc...its a given... the game was made to use the expanse of blueray, and 360 is still dawdling with dvd's. blame microsoft.

freaknasty
02-19-10, 09:09 AM
looking foward to this game!

|MaguS|
02-19-10, 10:25 AM
That's your opinion, from a self-proclaimed sony fanboy. The reality is much different. Most 360 games look better than most PS3 games, thats fact.

No it's pretty much the opinion of the entire game industry. No other console game in history has walked away with more awards the uncharted 2.