PDA

View Full Version : To SSD or not to SSD?

Pages : [1] 2

musman
02-18-10, 12:12 PM
I will be buying W7 Ultimate next week and I figure I may as well upgrade my OS drive too. I have a single Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM HD, I have been using this drive for about 8 months now. Here is my question. I have been looking at a Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025). For about the same amount of money I could buy two more of my Seagate HDs and have 3 in a RAID configuration. What would my fellow gamers do?

Thanks for your suggestions!

musman

Bman212121
02-18-10, 12:43 PM
Get the SSD.

Logical
02-18-10, 01:09 PM
40GB really isn't much for a games library if it is games you are planning to run off it.

lee63
02-18-10, 01:21 PM
I only have an 80Gb for now..I wish I'd got a 160 ;) with games like AvP being 15Gb space gets used up pretty quick.

Redeemed
02-18-10, 01:27 PM
40GB really isn't much for a games library if it is games you are planning to run off it.

I agree. I'd go RAID 3.

I'm running 7 Ultimate x64 and my Windows folder (just checked) weighs in at 15.7GB. This is with latest drivers and all available Windows Updates. Sooo... Windows by itself will take up near 50% of that SSD. Maybe if Windows alone is on that drive that'd be fine- set the rest as pagefile and that might work out nice.

However, I'd still suggest going with the RAID setup. Three of those drives in RAID 3 would be insanely fast still, while giving you ample storage room for Windows and all of your applications. :)

lduguay
02-18-10, 01:38 PM
RAID 3????

I think the OP meant 3 drives in a RAID 0 config.

Edit: SlaWter is toooo fast

Redeemed
02-18-10, 01:41 PM
Nah RAID 3 is not a good solution. Or do you mean RAID 0 with 3 drives?

I'll get that SSD as my system disk for my fileserver project. 40GB is enough for that and the lower write speed is not important there.

I could have my RAID numbers mixed up- isn't RAID 3 redundancy with striping? So basically the best of RAID 0+1 only with 3 drives? Why not go that route? If he wanted to just stripe all three drives that'd be incredibly fast but I'd be leary of one bad drive killing the entire array. :o

lee63
02-18-10, 01:48 PM
Some tweaks can save you some space....I got an extra 10Gb from some minor tweaks.

People might have problem turning off page file, but it saved me 5Gb+.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-%2A-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-%2A

lduguay
02-18-10, 01:49 PM
I could have my RAID numbers mixed up- isn't RAID 3 redundancy with striping? So basically the best of RAID 0+1 only with 3 drives? Why not go that route? If he wanted to just stripe all three drives that'd be incredibly fast but I'd be leary of one bad drive killing the entire array. :o

Need min 4 drives for RAID 0+1

Redeemed
02-18-10, 01:57 PM
Need min 4 drives for RAID 0+1

I know- isn't that the benefit of RAID 3- mirroring (redundancy) and striping (performance boost) with only 3 drives?

XDanger
02-18-10, 02:00 PM
Theres better things to spend the money on so unless you have more money than sense get some raid level old fashioned drives.

Ones that don't say raid in the name will lose you your data if you aren't lucky.

You'll kick yourself buying a 60gb SSD for whatever you spend on it right now when it all goes quicker and cheaper 6 months down the line as it inevitably will.

But that's just me ,I don't like the new fangled technology :), Too risky... Its why I wont get lasix

musman
02-18-10, 03:08 PM
I was not planning on putting any games on the SSD, just planning on using it for the OS. I'm not up on all the RAID configurations (reading up on them now) so not sure all the differences. I do know my Seagate HDD is known to not be very reliable so adding 2 more is really adding to the risk on one going bad. My goal is to get boot times, email, internet ect faster. My games load fast enough for me right now.

Thanks for all the comments!

Marvel_us
02-18-10, 03:08 PM
40gb will definitely not be enough if you want to run games from that drive. You might be able to fit one, maybe two on there but that's if you don't have any other large programs installed. W7 will take up about 15gb on a fresh install.

musman
02-18-10, 03:12 PM
Some tweaks can save you some space....I got an extra 10Gb from some minor tweaks.

People might have problem turning off page file, but it saved me 5Gb+.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-%2A-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-%2A

I turned off my page file, works good!

uOpt
02-18-10, 04:20 PM
In general, if you spend too much time waiting on the HD more RAM is the answer.

I still don't like SSDs at all. And that is after only testing them when they are new. I don't think anybody really knows what happens with age.

Don't forget that current production 7200 rpm drives are much faster than 7200 rpm drives a couple years old. "rpm" is not a speed rating as such. Many reports of SSDs speeding up things drastically have been made when people replaced 3 year or whereabouts old drives.

Dr.Nick
02-18-10, 06:28 PM
SSD is the upgrade of the decade! No other way to put it really, simple as that.

Rollo
02-18-10, 06:46 PM
SSD is the upgrade of the decade! No other way to put it really, simple as that.

Care to elaborate on that?

When I first saw my 3007WFP-HC, and sometimes stll, I thought it was "the upgrade of the decade".

When I first saw my 3d Vision, and sometimes still, I thought it was "the upgrade of the decade".

When I first saw 3d Vision Surround, I thought it was "the upgrade the decade"- and I plan to get two more 2233RZs for my b-day in June.

However, I can honestly say that even if Windows appeared instantaneously, and load times between game levels was fluid, I'd think "Errr...OK". I actually don't know if I'd notice!

Dr.Nick
02-18-10, 07:33 PM
I think it mostly has to do with everyone at work being blown away by what it has done to their laptops. They cannot believe its the same one they gave me even for a sec. No more "vista is killing me", no more "vista is so damn slow", no more "my battery don't last". Everyone wants one and everyone is picking up their jaws from the floor from the speed and battery boost.
However, all posts like this are just someones opinion and should be taken as such bud. What impresses one person is not guaranteed to do the same to another;)

onmikesline
02-18-10, 07:38 PM
yeah speed yeah less power yeah $$$$ wait a year. price is way to much, a 1TB SSD is like 4k, why go any less then a 500GB ssd, just save... something better then 40gb or even a 256gb

Rollo
02-18-10, 08:25 PM
I think it mostly has to do with everyone at work being blown away by what it has done to their laptops. They cannot believe its the same one they gave me even for a sec. No more "vista is killing me", no more "vista is so damn slow", no more "my battery don't last". Everyone wants one and everyone is picking up their jaws from the floor from the speed and battery boost.
However, all posts like this are just someones opinion and should be taken as such bud. What impresses one person is not guaranteed to do the same to another;)

That's sort of a different question that what he asked though- he's talking desktops. With laptops, what else is there to upgrade? The screen is what it is, the RAM and CPU aren't in a position to be upgraded in any "holy sh*t" fashion, gpu is what it is, so I suppose the SSD is about all you can stick money in.

Next gen SSDs ETA is June, the tiny costly ones out now are one of the lesser bang per buck upgrades a person can get now, IMO.

CaptNKILL
02-18-10, 08:37 PM
If I found a good 60Gb+ SSD for right around $100 I'd buy one right now... but for $150+ I think I'm going to wait for the next bunch of drives. The ones that anand previewed a couple months ago look pretty promising.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3702&p=1

DiscipleDOC
02-19-10, 08:47 AM
I use an 80gb Intel SSD for my OS drive. Love it. Run all my games and applications off of a 320gb 7200RPM Western Digital.

IF I was to get an SSD drive, this is how I would set it up....but that's a big IF.