PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia may be in trouble according to this article

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

shadow001
02-22-10, 07:01 PM
those panels work NOW with Nvidia 3d

I'm fully aware of that,but i can still buy 3 of them to enjoy the wider field of view in gaming and a much larger desktop as well,and view blue ray movies at their native resolution,while being ready for a unified 3D display standard,which seems to require 120Hz refresh no matter what the standard ends up beign,which also applies to movies too,not just gaming.

At 399$,they aren't that cheap but that's the price you pay for 120Hz and being the first 1920*1080 models on the market.

Rollo
02-22-10, 07:12 PM
I'm fully aware of that,but i can still buy 3 of them to enjoy the wider field of view in gaming and a much larger desktop as well,and view blue ray movies at their native resolution,while being ready for a unified 3D display standard,which seems to require 120Hz refresh no matter what the standard ends up beign,which also applies to movies too,not just gaming.

At 399$,they aren't that cheap but that's the price you pay for 120Hz and being the first 1920*1080 models on the market.

If you like 3d, three of them is a pretty amazing experience.

As I have a 2233RZ already, I'm going to grab two more. (which will cut my cost of entry into 3d Surround from $1200 to $600)

shadow001
02-22-10, 09:00 PM
If you like 3d, three of them is a pretty amazing experience.

As I have a 2233RZ already, I'm going to grab two more. (which will cut my cost of entry into 3d Surround from $1200 to $600)

The main issue really comes down to the 3D glasses and software support,not just for 3D games,but also viewing 3D blue ray movies at their native resolution,using the same glasses for both.

Nvidia can make sure it'll work for games,but there's still no way to be sure for 3D blue ray movies yet,and i don't feel like buying 2 different sets of glasses + software depending on the application,and at a basic fundamental level,the hardware requirements are the same for both,hence why i'm so insistent on a unified standard.

turdhat
02-22-10, 09:16 PM
I just dont dig 3d in games at this point and abandoned my glasses and setup and purchased a 55" 1080p 240hz (fake 240hz but still cool) Toshiba LCD as my main monitor and use comp from the couch with wireless gear. I have seen most of the different 3d tech and to me it makes cars in driving games look like fake models and people look like action figures. It is neat for a minute but for me it lost its appeal very quickly.

Movies are a whole different deal though. Maybe when graphics improve a bit more I will dig it then and get the needed gadgets.

Enrico_be
02-23-10, 02:00 PM
(Recent Semi-accurate forum topic)
- [Intelligence from China] Fermi-based Tesla cards are very rare, even among AICs. (http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618)

shadow001
02-23-10, 02:30 PM
(Recent Semi-accurate forum topic)
- [Intelligence from China] Fermi-based Tesla cards are very rare, even among AICs. (http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618)

Ouch if true....Means the lauch at Pax is a paper one basically,and only the GTX470 will be available for the most part.

Muppet
02-23-10, 11:27 PM
The main issue really comes down to the 3D glasses and software support,not just for 3D games,but also viewing 3D blue ray movies at their native resolution,using the same glasses for both.

Nvidia can make sure it'll work for games,but there's still no way to be sure for 3D blue ray movies yet,and i don't feel like buying 2 different sets of glasses + software depending on the application,and at a basic fundamental level,the hardware requirements are the same for both,hence why i'm so insistent on a unified standard.

From what I have read on the Nvidia Forums. All the major software players will support Nvidia's 3d Solution for playing BD movies. IE: Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre, Corel WinDVD, Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra and Sonic Roxio CinePlayer BD will all support 3D Vision for Blu-ray 3D playback.

shadow001
02-23-10, 11:50 PM
From what I have read on the Nvidia Forums. All the major software players will support Nvidia's 3d Solution for playing BD movies. IE: Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre, Corel WinDVD, Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra and Sonic Roxio CinePlayer BD will all support 3D Vision for Blu-ray 3D playback.

Thx for the info,but what about the drives that read the 3D blue ray discs themselves,are the current ones compatible or do we need to buy new players?

Muppet
02-24-10, 12:52 AM
Thx for the info,but what about the drives that read the 3D blue ray discs themselves,are the current ones compatible or do we need to buy new players?

I would say that we will need new drives to support 3D. Other than the PS3 all stand alone players aren't compatible. And the PS3 will need firmware to support it first.

Enrico_be
02-24-10, 12:54 AM
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29481&postcount=49

I really don't like that site .... ******* if they are correct :/

Muppet
02-24-10, 01:24 AM
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29481&postcount=49

I really don't like that site .... ******* if they are correct :/

I don't think anyone who is open minded does. If he was at least as harsh on AMD\ATI as he is about Nvidia. I mean other than the 5800 series from Nvidia which ATI kicked but with there 9700Pro. Nvidia has been ahead of ATI for 90% of the time. But he never reports anything that favors that truth.

shadow001
02-24-10, 04:46 PM
I don't think anyone who is open minded does. If he was at least as harsh on AMD\ATI as he is about Nvidia. I mean other than the 5800 series from Nvidia which ATI kicked but with there 9700Pro. Nvidia has been ahead of ATI for 90% of the time. But he never reports anything that favors that truth.

Well,to be honest there was also the HD4870 X2 cards,which Nvidia didn't manage to beat until the GTX295 was released 6+ months later in early 2009.

Also the HD3870 X2,using a pair of RV670 GPU's that after over a year of not having any competition for the 8800 GTX,which was a killer card lets face it,and the X2900 XT a delayed,power hungry and hot running flop,finally managed to be generally faster than the 8800GTX overall.

In earlier years than that though,between the Nvidia NV40 and G70 GPU's and ATI's R420 up to R580 GPU's though,win or lose depending on the game and settings chosen,the competition was always pretty close between them,usually within 10%..so not really dominant either way to be honest.

It really was the G80 GPU in the form of the 8800GTX,that really held the performance crown for over an entire year without competition from ATI....It didn't happen before or since then basically.

john19055
02-25-10, 08:54 PM
So the GTX 480 was'nt what everone excepted,Go back a while and everone had ATI/AMD going out of buisness because of there products,and now they have caught up and past with the video cards and there CPU's while not the fastest are well price for a good budget system.Nvidia will be back ,just like they always do.It may take them a while ,but they will be back with a killer card,just like Intel has killer cpu's.I pretty sure I will go with ATI cards this go around ,but next round who knows.Nvidia is not dead yet.

Madpistol
02-25-10, 11:07 PM
Nvidia is far from dead. Heck, they usually make a pretty decent card too. Their pockets are far deeper than AMD's, so they've got a definite advantage in terms of R&D budget.

However, AMD cards are the way to go at the moment. That may change in a month... who knows.

shadow001
02-25-10, 11:56 PM
Nvidia is far from dead. Heck, they usually make a pretty decent card too. Their pockets are far deeper than AMD's, so they've got a definite advantage in terms of R&D budget.

However, AMD cards are the way to go at the moment. That may change in a month... who knows.

Actually,that needs an update,as with the partial sale of the factory AMD used to own in germany,and is now partner with global foundries,and the Intel settlement suit behind them as well,which Intel payed AMD 1.25 billion,they now have 2.3 billion in cash reserves,which is more than they've ever had period.

And more than enough for decent R&D budgets for both their CPU line,and of course,graphics and new chipsets releases,so i'm sure they'll be a pain in the ass for quite some time still.

As for Nvidia,given that the GF100 is a new architecture,even if the first version of that architecture isn't quite a good as people expect it to be(big if there),it doesn't mean Nvidia is screwed in the least,since we can easily draw comparisons with the R600 from ATI when it was released.

Even though it also didn't live up to expectations in it's first incarnation,the Current Cypress chip is the ultimate expression of the failed R600 chip with DX11 features added to it,and correcting it's weaknesses,such as texturing power sucked hard with only 16 texture units in the R600 for instance,and Cypress has 80 of them now,and it kicks ass as we all know....It's basically the R600 enhanced on some serious steroids.

The basic architecture of the GF100 will likely last at least 2~3 years,before a brand new one is released yet again,and it'll go thru die shrinks,faster clock speeds and other feature addition/tweaks within that time period for sure....It takes a few years to really design something new from the ground up.

Muppet
02-26-10, 12:17 AM
So the GTX 480 was'nt what everone excepted,Go back a while and everone had ATI/AMD going out of buisness because of there products,and now they have caught up and past with the video cards and there CPU's while not the fastest are well price for a good budget system.Nvidia will be back ,just like they always do.It may take them a while ,but they will be back with a killer card,just like Intel has killer cpu's.I pretty sure I will go with ATI cards this go around ,but next round who knows.Nvidia is not dead yet.

Who said it is not what everyone expected. No one but insiders know for sure, so everything else is just speculation at this point.

Dogmifier
03-09-10, 08:50 PM

I hope neither dies...I'm an NV person, but the ATi competition is good for all of us...

It keeps both companies moving forward and not completely outrageously priced.

Bearclaw
03-10-10, 01:32 PM
w00t.

AdamK47
03-10-10, 01:56 PM
Just visited Nvidia yesterday. They are anything but dead.

Anything.... so, nearly dead?

Sowk
03-10-10, 02:20 PM
ok so there finished/flat lined/zeroed out but NOT dead.... lol j/k.

lee63
03-10-10, 02:31 PM
Usually by now (2 weeks before launch) we have some legitimate leaked benchmarks and some idea of price. this kinda of worries me.

Redeemed
03-10-10, 02:56 PM
Don't put the cart before the horse- GTX480 may still own... won't know for a few more weeks though.

lee63
03-10-10, 06:05 PM
Nvidia make GPUs as a pastime...their into much bigger things.

JasonPC
03-10-10, 06:50 PM
One of these days DarthBeavis I'm going to switch out the nvidia cards in your systems with ATI cards and then you'll be in a lot of hot water with nvidia :p

XMAN52373
03-10-10, 07:10 PM
Actually,that needs an update,as with the partial sale of the factory AMD used to own in germany,and is now partner with global foundries,and the Intel settlement suit behind them as well,which Intel payed AMD 1.25 billion,they now have 2.3 billion in cash reserves,which is more than they've ever had period.

And more than enough for decent R&D budgets for both their CPU line,and of course,graphics and new chipsets releases,so i'm sure they'll be a pain in the ass for quite some time still.

As for Nvidia,given that the GF100 is a new architecture,even if the first version of that architecture isn't quite a good as people expect it to be(big if there),it doesn't mean Nvidia is screwed in the least,since we can easily draw comparisons with the R600 from ATI when it was released.

Even though it also didn't live up to expectations in it's first incarnation,the Current Cypress chip is the ultimate expression of the failed R600 chip with DX11 features added to it,and correcting it's weaknesses,such as texturing power sucked hard with only 16 texture units in the R600 for instance,and Cypress has 80 of them now,and it kicks ass as we all know....It's basically the R600 enhanced on some serious steroids.

The basic architecture of the GF100 will likely last at least 2~3 years,before a brand new one is released yet again,and it'll go thru die shrinks,faster clock speeds and other feature addition/tweaks within that time period for sure....It takes a few years to really design something new from the ground up.

Wonder how the hell they stocked up 2.3B when they have a debt over 5B. And FYI, that 1.25B from Intel went to pay down the debt, not into some mystical cash reserve THEY DONT HAVE. You can't have a cash reserve when your in debt up to your eyeballs. Nvidia on the other hand has cash reserves because they spent years making money instead of LOSING IT. Pre 08 Nvidia had 4B in the bank, today after the crap with laptop GPU and having to almost eat cost on teh G200 line, they still hvae, imagine this, over 2B in cash reserves. Anyone predicting their demise in the next 2 years is bonkers.

Current market caps and Stock prices:

NVDA- 17.66 and market cap of 9.81B
AMD- 9.00 and market cap of 6B