PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia may be in trouble according to this article

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Redeemed
03-11-10, 02:18 AM
you guys have no clue about who Nvidia it seems. you think Geforce is their entire market (I am not saying their are not an important part of that market I am saying that is just part of who they are)? To say Nvidia is dead or almost dead because their Geforce release is a little behind schedule is quite funny.

Nvidia make GPUs as a pastime...their into much bigger things.

Care to elaborate?

Their chipsets have flopped, they are recovering from a rather large issues with their integrated laptop GPUs, they do not make CPUs, and are way late in regards to their desktop GPU... I suppose cell phones, netbooks, and other such portable devices could be a source of income with their Ion platform and also their Quadros for the Professional market- but those markets are incredibly small for the likes of nVidia compared to the desktop and laptop markets- and I'm primarily addressing OEM sales here not retail or e-tail.

To my knowledge most of nVidia's income does stem around their GPU sales to OEMs for either laptops or desktops.

Vardant
03-11-10, 02:24 AM
The answer is Tegra and while Quadro market may be small, the margins are huge.

Redeemed
03-11-10, 02:31 AM
The answer is Tegra and while Quadro market may be small, the margins are huge.

Yes, but large enough to rival the OEM market for laptops and desktops?

I'll confess- it's been a while since I looked into this so it's quite possible I'm way off, but it just seems that the OEM income would be far larger for them.

Iruwen
03-11-10, 03:51 AM
Less than one-third of their profit comes from the OEM market iirc, they make two-thirds in the professional segment (as has already been said). That's one reason why they focus so much on GPGPU.

/e: and nobody rivals with Intel in the OEM market since they have a market share of more than 50%...

jlippo
03-11-10, 06:48 AM
Less than one-third of their profit comes from the OEM market iirc, they make two-thirds in the professional segment (as has already been said). That's one reason why they focus so much on GPGPU.
Also a reason why they would like to address the problem of low vertex rates in GPUs, we all know that most professional stuff is more about pushing polygons than shading them.
Having 4x advantage is nice when comparing to rivals. ;)

Rollo
03-11-10, 07:13 AM
Care to elaborate?

Their chipsets have flopped, they are recovering from a rather large issues with their integrated laptop GPUs, they do not make CPUs, and are way late in regards to their desktop GPU... I suppose cell phones, netbooks, and other such portable devices could be a source of income with their Ion platform and also their Quadros for the Professional market- but those markets are incredibly small for the likes of nVidia compared to the desktop and laptop markets- and I'm primarily addressing OEM sales here not retail or e-tail.

To my knowledge most of nVidia's income does stem around their GPU sales to OEMs for either laptops or desktops.

Sure.
1. Their chipsets haven't "flopped" - they're in a legal dispute over contract terms and not selling them until it's resolved. They've also counter sued Intel over Intel IGP patent violations, Intel stands to lose much more than NVIDIA if the court finds in favor of of NVIDIA.
2. There is no competition currently NVIDIA's Optimus technology. (typing this on an Optimus laptop)
3. Tegra, NVIDIA's mobile graphics chip, is rumored to be the selection for Nintendos DS2, and basically has no competition in the mobile market.
4. Their Ion platform is superior to te Atom platform in the rapidly growing netbook market.
5. NVIDIA owns the GPGPU and workstation market.
6. Fermi based GPUs will offer a much superior feature set and similar or better performance than their ATi counterparts.

And what does ATi have going for them? Oh yeah, 1/3 of the consumer graphics market. woot

Iruwen
03-11-10, 07:20 AM
:D

noko
03-12-10, 01:58 AM
Nvidia has indeed branched out enough to buffer any one area failings I think. Tesla looks very strong. GPUPU also is there with Nvidia superior software support as in Cuda. If Fermi doesn't hit well with the gaming market doesn't mean Fermi won't take the GPUPU arena by storm. I do believe ATI from a destop computer standpoint and mobile standpoint has a better line overall for most folks, something for Nvidia to get better at. Now of course for some Nvidia is the better answer for gaming but this time around I think ATI from bottom to top has the advantage in the market.

Iruwen
03-12-10, 04:45 AM
AMD also offers better gaming CPUs considering their price, this doesn't harm Intel in any way though.

Dogmifier
03-16-10, 01:45 PM
I would disagree that ATi has better choices for consumers, to be blunt.

It depends on the application and the user involved. Both companies have great offerings,
and not everyone wants top of the line gaming graphics.

I'll *NEVER* buy ATi. I just don't trust them. I've never had a problem with NV, though.
The loss of a few frames per second really don't mean much to me when it comes to
the trust I have for NV and the distrust I have of ATi.

That's not to say that ATi is bad, for those of you who are looking for a new graphics card.
It's simply my position and feelings on the subject. Take it as you will. I'm quite sure they've
come a long way from the last time I tried ATi.

As far as AMD offering better gaming CPU's, again it's a matter of opinion/likes/dislikes.
I'm loving the Nehalem's. They're beasts.

Iruwen
03-17-10, 08:07 AM
I have a Core i7 system too, but I wouldn't advice anybody to get one just for gaming ;)

Yaboze
03-17-10, 09:44 AM
I would buy an AMD GPU, MB or CPU, but right now the i7 is king. I got a i7 920 for $199 and it's great. I still like AMD. The only Nvidia product I'd ever buy was a GPU. I had a Nforce 4 MB and it was horrible. Lots of problems. I think their own chipsets are fail. Of course SLI is great and it rocks that it's in the X58, but beyond that, I don't really see Nvidia doing anything else but GPU cards and GPU's for laptops/mobile devices. I guess their laptop chipset is good, I think Apple is using a variant of that.

I'm leaning towards a 5970 as my next card to replace my 285, which is still a decent performer.

Rollo
03-17-10, 11:33 PM
I would buy an AMD GPU, MB or CPU, but right now the i7 is king. I got a i7 920 for $199 and it's great. I still like AMD. The only Nvidia product I'd ever buy was a GPU. I had a Nforce 4 MB and it was horrible. Lots of problems. I think their own chipsets are fail. Of course SLI is great and it rocks that it's in the X58, but beyond that, I don't really see Nvidia doing anything else but GPU cards and GPU's for laptops/mobile devices. I guess their laptop chipset is good, I think Apple is using a variant of that.

I'm leaning towards a 5970 as my next card to replace my 285, which is still a decent performer.

IDK, I loved my NForce motherboards. I never had the problems others did, bit I think it's because I don't OC CPUs in anyway other than bumping an unlocked multiplier on the cpu up a notch.

I think a lot of NVIDIA's problems with the NFORCEs came from they built their rep on being OCing motherboards, and when you jack up the fsb you add more fail points to the mix and increased chance for data handling errors.