PDA

View Full Version : Bad Company 2 PC graphics from DICE

Pages : [1] 2

rudedog
02-19-10, 06:56 AM
Great write up in regards to what you can exspect from BC2 on the PC

Introduction

My name is Johan Andersson (Twitter: repi) and I'm one of the architects working on our proprietary Frostbite engine here at DICE.

We've had numerous requests to go through in more detail about what kind of graphical features & options that exists in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for the PC. So this is an attempt at just that.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is based on Frostbite 1.5, but with multiple enhancements and a lot of specific effort spent on building it up and for the PC as this is the first time Frostbite is used on PC.

They talk about DX9, DX10, DX11, nVidia 3D, eyefinity and more

Read the full post over at the official blog here (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/02/19/bad-company-2-pc-graphics-details.aspx)

Here's a sample:
DX9/DX10/DX11

Frostbite 1.5 on PC is designed for DirectX 10 as a base, this enables us to easily support all the advanced graphics features that we use on the consoles, and much more! DX10 is a very modern graphics API and gives us a lot of flexibility as a developer.

DX10 has one unfortunate draw back though; it is only supported on Windows Vista and Windows 7, not the now 9 year old Windows XP. And as we have a big PC fan base, where not everyone may have transitioned over to Vista or Windows 7 yet, we have also added a rendering path that uses the old DirectX 9.

The DX9 path is quite efficient but lacks some of the features that we have on DX10 like anti-aliasing and HBAO.

For everyone with the new generation of graphics card, like the AMD Radeon 5xxx series or the upcoming Nvidia Geforce 4xx, we've also added support for DirectX 11. The primary uses of DX11 in Bad Company 2 is to soften all the dynamic shadows as well as to improve performance in general with a few smaller DX11 optimizations that we are using.

The detection and usage of DX9/DX10/DX11 is done automatically, the game selects the highest possible version available with your graphics card and OS. If you want to force a given path you can do that in the Settings.ini file by setting 'DxVersion' to any of these options: 9, 10, 11 or auto (default).

The Settings.ini file can be found in My Documents\BFBC2 directory.

K007
02-19-10, 07:15 AM
but which is better when it comes down to fps.

NarcissistZero
02-19-10, 07:26 AM
AvP is the first game I have played where DX10 performance blew away DX9 performance, so it IS possible. I assume AvP developing for DX11 and then porting down had a lot to do with that, so if DICE is going with a DX10 base that is very good news.

Armed_Baboon
02-19-10, 07:30 AM
it's getting quite messy now that we have 3 different directx versions. It's not an ideal situation.

Kemo
02-19-10, 07:51 AM
farcry 2 ran way smoother on dx10 than dx9 for me. Crysis was the opposite. im waiting for dx9 to totally become used up and dried out before upgrading.

NarcissistZero
02-19-10, 07:52 AM
farcry 2 ran way smoother on dx10 than dx9 for me. Crysis was the opposite. im waiting for dx9 to totally become used up and dried out before upgrading.

Farcry 2 had a higher framerate in DX10 for me, but it also had this weird stutter effect. I ended up playing in DX9.

bacon12
02-19-10, 08:15 AM

That is gonna be a while, until next gen consoles that is.

Yaboze
02-19-10, 08:20 AM
FC2 did run well in DX10 for me, but I didn't like the game that much and when I redid my system for W7 in October, I didn't even reinstall it. :\

DX10-11 could have been mainstream now if it just worked on XP. I don't know of anyone that jumped to Vista or W7 JUST for DX10/11, so to try an force people (MS) to buy the new OS's for DX10 was stupid.

All cards since the Nvidia 8 series and ATI 4 series are DX10 anyway....that's 2008.

Bleh

K007
02-19-10, 08:37 AM
AvP is the first game I have played where DX10 performance blew away DX9 performance, so it IS possible. I assume AvP developing for DX11 and then porting down had a lot to do with that, so if DICE is going with a DX10 base that is very good news.

AVP only has DX9 and then 11.

K007
02-19-10, 08:38 AM

This won't happen for sometime. Have to wait for Consoles to play catchup...i think they have been playing catchup since day 1 of their release. :headexplode:

Lol today someone at work was talking about how awesome the graphics were on this game..some PS3 adventure style game...then i showed him Crysis..and he thought it was fake and all CGI -.-

NarcissistZero
02-19-10, 08:38 AM
AVP only has DX9 and then 11.

Nope, you're wrong. Launching the DX11 executable on a DX10 system results in DX10.

Soetdjuret
02-19-10, 08:56 AM
it's getting quite messy now that we have 3 different directx versions. It's not an ideal situation.

Dude we have 4 versions, dx9, dx10, dx10.1 (stalker clear sky, CoP) and dx11... lol

Vardant
02-19-10, 09:24 AM
DX10-11 could have been mainstream now if it just worked on XP. I don't know of anyone that jumped to Vista or W7 JUST for DX10/11, so to try an force people (MS) to buy the new OS's for DX10 was stupid.

All cards since the Nvidia 8 series and ATI 4 series are DX10 anyway....that's 2008.

Bleh
Not really. DX9 is not going away anytime soon. After the next-generation of consoles hits the market, then you can expect fast shift to DX11 or newer.

rudedog
02-19-10, 10:01 AM
Some other info from a PCgameshardware.com interview with Anders Gyllenberg of Dice regarding AA support under DX9.

PCGH: Bad Company 2 Beta does not support Anti Aliasing and the texture resolution is not as high as it will be in the full version and also there is no possibility to prone. Can you please explain the reasons for these decisions (smaller download etc.)?

Anders Gyllenberg: We do not support AA in Dx9. This is because we are utilizing other Dx9 features which are incompatible with AA. Dx10 and Dx11, on the other hand, are more flexible APIs.
We chose not to include higher resolution textures in the Beta in order to keep the download size small.

Edit: would help if I added the source url:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,705197/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-x-New-tech-info-about-the-DX11-game/News/

NarcissistZero
02-19-10, 10:25 AM
I hope DX10 has AA since I will not have DX11 for a while.

Other than that it all sounds good.

nekrosoft13
02-19-10, 10:41 AM

AVP hax DX10? I thought it was either 9 or 11

NarcissistZero
02-19-10, 10:54 AM

Nope, you're wrong. Launching the DX11 executable on a DX10 system results in DX10.

sniggle
02-19-10, 12:13 PM
I haven't tried DX10/11 with the new update to BFBC2 that came out the other day, still on DX9 using Windows 7 since it runs MUCH better than 10 for me. It might be more equal now with the new update so maybe I'll try it this weekend.

K007
02-19-10, 07:05 PM
well...if this is not higher texture, and the game struggles in areas...then imagine what full textures would do -.-...

Soetdjuret
02-20-10, 01:29 AM
highres textures arnt that demanding, see HL2 cinematic mod for example. Even TES oblivion is more demanding, due to open world terrain and lots of vegetation/foliage. Those things are mostly more demanding. BC2 beta was prolly demanding due to early build, the phys-x and some other stuff.

K007
02-20-10, 02:23 AM
highres textures arnt that demanding, see HL2 cinematic mod for example. Even TES oblivion is more demanding, due to open world terrain and lots of vegetation/foliage. Those things are mostly more demanding. BC2 beta was prolly demanding due to early build, the phys-x and some other stuff.

yea but hl2 never run like ass poo before.

loinbread
02-20-10, 03:03 AM

You're correct. DirectX 10/10.1 hardware can run the DX11 executable, although all DX11-specific features will be disabled such as tessellation.

NarcissistZero
02-20-10, 04:14 AM
You're correct. DirectX 10/10.1 hardware can run the DX11 executable, although all DX11-specific features will be disabled such as tessellation.

So then he is not correct... lol.

It does not have the menu features for DX11 but it does have some added effects, and more importantly it runs better as I said. I get 40-50fps with DX9 and I get a locked 60fps with DX10.

K007
02-20-10, 04:39 AM
mine just ctd if u run dx11 of avp. as in i get to the menu then splat...when i hit play

NarcissistZero
02-20-10, 05:19 AM
mine just ctd if u run dx11 of avp. as in i get to the menu then splat...when i hit play

You should probably look into that.