PDA

View Full Version : Is my GPU dead?

RasmusE
02-21-10, 04:46 PM
Hey there, I have an Asus M51Sn laptop, which has a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS GPU. Lately (yesterday), I've been getting some odd crashes and after I rebooted my screen was all garbled up all the way from BIOS to Windows, and there was apparently no hw acceleration either (nvidia driver couldn't be loaded, doesn't allow me to use the external screen, forced 640x480 resolution on laptop screen).

After that I do the perhaps natural thing of shutting down the machine, thinking WTF for a while and turning it back on, and hey presto it works again! :P
Hours later however, when I had to reboot to switch OS (dual-boot system) this problem appeared again! This time shutting down and powering back up doesn't fix it though, and now my laptop has looked like this for one whole day: http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/acarpd1547gjlz4m8480.jpg
Apart from no hardware acceleration, no external screen support and the garbled up screen, the laptop seems to function normally but it's of course pretty unusable like that. Any suggestions for what to do/try next? It is about 1 1/2 years old now so it should still be covered by warranty, which hopefully means that I can get this replaced.

XDanger
02-21-10, 06:14 PM
is it a heat thing? Is there a dust bunny in there?

They could have been a bit lazy applying TIM?

anyway, RMA if you can

Kemo
03-16-10, 07:15 AM
throw it in the oven...