PDA

View Full Version : I want a joystick, but what kind to get?

fastguy94416
07-14-03, 03:54 PM
I kinda like the logitech cordless freedom, but any other sugestions out there? I will use it almost exclusivly for battlefield 1942, so no joystick/throttle combo needed

ragejg
07-14-03, 03:57 PM
pick yer favorite console controller.. then go to Lik Sang and pick yer adapter... it's that easy...

I'm goin the XBox route pretty soon... I have a couple ps2 controllers/adapters, but I don't like the analogs so close... my fingers can't handle it...

jAkUp
07-14-03, 04:01 PM
a nice force feedback stick:D

saturnotaku
07-14-03, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
pick yer favorite console controller.. then go to Lik Sang and pick yer adapter... it's that easy...

I'm goin the XBox route pretty soon... I have a couple ps2 controllers/adapters, but I don't like the analogs so close... my fingers can't handle it...

Can we get some linkage to those adapters? I have a Sidewinder game pad, but since I use my Xbox controller a lot more often I'd like to have that comfort for my PC.

UDawg
07-14-03, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by fastguy94416
I kinda like the logitech cordless freedom, but any other sugestions out there? I will use it almost exclusivly for battlefield 1942, so no joystick/throttle combo needed

The Freedom is very nice but it has a narrow base and tips easy. When you are in the heat of battle it can be annoying but it still is a nice stick. I use my stick for BF also and I love to fly so I use the Sidewinder Force Feedback. It is perfect for this game. The one right below the Sidewinder will do just fine if you don't want to pay for the Force Feedback but I will say the Force Feedback stick does have a much nicer feel and I think it is un $80 now.

ragejg
07-14-03, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Can we get some linkage to those adapters? I have a Sidewinder game pad, but since I use my Xbox controller a lot more often I'd like to have that comfort for my PC.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=55&products_id=2701&

good site, good stuff...

digitalwanderer
07-14-03, 04:45 PM
Saitek Cyborg Gold USB.

I picked mine up almost a year ago from me local Circuit City for $30us and I've been totally enamored of it ever since. I use mine for flight sims, but it has everything I could want on a joystick with the exception of feedback and does a phenom job at all the games I've played with it.

I really think it's a bargain at it's price, but it probably ain't really what you're looking for.

CaptNKILL
07-14-03, 04:48 PM
Its a shame that these dont work with first person shooters....
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=54&products_id=1429&

I always thought one of those would make Half-Life\BF1942 a lot more realistic :)

Deimos
07-14-03, 05:24 PM
I'm quite happy with my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. However, they are going out of production, so if you want a MS joystick, get it soon.

/Deimos

UDawg
07-14-03, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Deimos
I'm quite happy with my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. However, they are going out of production, so if you want a MS joystick, get it soon.

/Deimos

Are they coming out with the sidewinder 3? I bought a extra strategic commander becuase they are hard to get now.

saturnotaku
07-14-03, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by UDawg71
Are they coming out with the sidewinder 3? I bought a extra strategic commander becuase they are hard to get now.

IIRC, Microsoft completely discontinued the Sidewinder line.

UDawg
07-15-03, 12:26 AM
IIRC, Microsoft completely discontinued the Sidewinder line.

Hmm. Weird must not have been a big money maker for them. Oh well there are plenty of other sticks to choose from. :D My Force 2 will last a long time. BTW this means close out prices. I would check around. I know my strategic commander was only $25 when it was originally $60.

saturnotaku
07-15-03, 12:36 AM
It's too bad really because the Sidewinder Game Pad is still IMO the best such gaming device ever created. Simple layout, easy access to all buttons. It was about as close to a perfect piece of hardware as you could get.

Deimos
07-15-03, 01:11 AM
IIRC, Microsoft completely discontinued the Sidewinder line. Yes, it was on the net just a couple of days ago that Microsoft is pulling out of the game-controller biz.

:(

/Deimos

jAkUp
07-15-03, 01:20 AM
yup... sad to see them go.. they made some outstanding game controllers.. (and some sucky ones..lol)

the original sidewinder gampad is still my gamepad of choice.... comfortable, easy to reach buttons... ive used these for years... now i got a usb version:D

vampireuk
07-15-03, 04:59 PM
I'm happy with my good old Sidewinder precision 2 stick. Serves me well in battlefield:D

UDawg
07-15-03, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
I'm happy with my good old Sidewinder precision 2 stick. Serves me well in battlefield:D

That is my back up stick. ;)