PDA

View Full Version : nVidia unveil at Pax East

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

shadow001
02-23-10, 09:23 PM
Again, Charlie is a retard. He only posts FUD. The only people who believe his FUD are ATi fans who hope it's true.

And as i said before,we'll see when the time comes to buy one,it'll easily prove charlie wrong or right when we check major online stores the very first hours of the very first day the NDA is dropped.

JasonPC
02-23-10, 10:01 PM
HD 5700/5800 cards launched with 300 000 cards combined,and they still ran out of them in the first week,then it took several more weeks for a higher volumes to become available.

Hell,even my cards,which i ordered a pair when the NDA officially dropped on november 23rd,and i ordered thru NCIX,which listed 5 of them in stock,and their stock numbers are updated every hour btw.

when i started filling the order and adding my credit card and shipping details,the inventory was updated just before and those 5 were gone already,and i had to wait 2 weeks to get them(early december),and that's me pulling the trigger as soon as the NDA dropped....What little they had flew off the shelves basically.

That's not such a fair comparison because it includes the 5700s which I believe were much more plentiful than 5800s/5970. In other words that number is split up into quite a range of cards. Also don't you have 5970s? That also is a bad comparison as they are still as rare to find today as they were when there were yield issues because AMD is just not mass producing them because of the hit on profit margin with them. Again we don't know how many of these are going to be at launch but I'm willing to bet it will go a bit smoother than AMD's launch because, if nothing else, TSMC's 40nm fabrication process has had time to mature.

Shamrock
02-23-10, 10:08 PM
Take ANYTHING Rollo says with a grain of salt. He WILL lift up nV and PUT DOWN ATi any chance he gets. He is an nV forum shill...oh, excuse me...nV Focus Group member. He is PAID to do this.

He has been banned by Anandtech...TWICE.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=263851

He was caught lying about it, and also threatening people.

So, you can stop arguing with him.

Shamrock
02-23-10, 10:13 PM
I wish we had Chris back too. And I wish you'd quit posting on forums altogether and just go back to the fetid swamp I think fanATics spring from.

Unfortunately some things really are too much to hope for and good things don't always come to those who wait.

Chris will always be gone, and in 50 years you'll still be hissing "I hear Charlie says NVIDIA's next card will be in short supply and expensive, we'd better all buy an ATi card guys!".

WHAT!?!? You think because you are an nV shill on NVNews you can now tell people they can't post?

shadow001
02-23-10, 10:27 PM
That's not such a fair comparison because it includes the 5700s which I believe were much more plentiful than 5800s/5970. In other words that number is split up into quite a range of cards. Also don't you have 5970s? That also is a bad comparison as they are still as rare to find today as they were when there were yield issues because AMD is just not mass producing them because of the hit on profit margin with them. Again we don't know how many of these are going to be at launch but I'm willing to bet it will go a bit smoother than AMD's launch because, if nothing else, TSMC's 40nm fabrication process has had time to mature.

Well put it this way,of the 300 000 cards,about 50 000 were 5850's and 5870's,not just 10 000 like the fermi rumors,mainly because the 5700 series will outsell the more expensive HD5850's and HD5870's by a large margin,so those lower end cards don't get the attention/PR promotion that the higher end ones obviously do,but they're the ones that pay the bills basically.

As for the HD5970 problems,and yes they're hard to come by in terms of seeing them on retail shelves,there's a few problems that are specific to those,such as needing cherry picked Cypress chips that can run at the speeds of an HD 5850,but only use 1.05 volts,rather than the 1.16 volts the standard ones use.

The main reason for the above is so that the card comes in just under that 300 watt TDP mark for PCI-e certification,then add the actual retail price for them,which all of them are still selling above the ATI suggested MSRP of 599$,as they're still between 650 to 700$ even after 3+ months on the market,so they're not cheap and are definitely aimed for the enthusiast market,and that market isn't even close to the largest money maker in the overall scheme of things....It's a halo product basically.

A final consideration is that card makers would rather use the GPU's and memory that would normally go towards making HD5970's,and make a pair of HD5870's instead,and make more money that way,since each card still sells for 400$ each,coming to 800$ in total,rather than the 650~700$ each HD5970 would fetch,so they mainly make just enough cards for people who pre-order HD5970's,rather than keep them piled up on store shelves.

And as for Fermi,the one thing that is sure is that even if yeilds are perfect with it,it is a chip with 3 billion transistors,so it's quite a bit larger than Cypress,so even in ideal conditions,Nvidia is getting fewer chips for every wafer than ATI is,since Cypress is quite a bit smaller than Fermi.

Rollo
02-23-10, 10:31 PM
Take ANYTHING Rollo says with a grain of salt. He WILL lift up nV and PUT DOWN ATi any chance he gets. He is an nV forum shill...oh, excuse me...nV Focus Group member. He is PAID to do this.

He has been banned by Anandtech...TWICE.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=263851

He was caught lying about it, and also threatening people.

So, you can stop arguing with him.

Oh noes! The jig is up! Now that people know that hypocrite Derek Wilson banned me for ...errr..."not regaining the trust of the community" I won't be able to...errr...post at AnandTech.

LOL

EDIT: Also good job pointing out I get free stuff from NVIDIA, for those who didn't notice it written in bold in every single post I make, or may not have noticed the 8,000,329 other times it was mentioned. What's next- going to break the news the Earth is round?

AdamK47
02-23-10, 10:43 PM
I frequent AnandTech and remember when that happened. Permaban I believe.

Shamrock
02-23-10, 11:24 PM
Dunno, are you? Are you PAID to put down ATi and lift up nV products? If not, then no...

Building PC's and painting them for nV is alot different than what Rollo is doing.

Shamrock
02-23-10, 11:26 PM
Oh noes! The jig is up! Now that people know that hypocrite Derek Wilson banned me for ...errr..."not regaining the trust of the community" I won't be able to...errr...post at AnandTech.

LOL

EDIT: Also good job pointing out I get free stuff from NVIDIA, for those who didn't notice it written in bold in every single post I make, or may not have noticed the 8,000,329 other times it was mentioned. What's next- going to break the news the Earth is round?

What hypocritical thing did he do? He reserved the right to revoke your account at anytime, if you didn't calm down...you didn't you were banned.

I have signatures turned off, so...your edit sucks. I'm juss' sayin'.

Aside from the fact nV just made an announcement that they were making an announcement...I'm done. :thumbdwn:

Kemo
02-23-10, 11:34 PM
is the fermi ready for my bad-ass 1200 and black keyboard? i don't think so...

JasonPC
02-23-10, 11:36 PM
Well put it this way,of the 300 000 cards,about 50 000 were 5850's and 5870's,not just 10 000 like the fermi rumors,mainly because the 5700 series will outsell the more expensive HD5850's and HD5870's by a large margin,so those lower end cards don't get the attention/PR promotion that the higher end ones obviously do,but they're the ones that pay the bills basically.

Those rumors do rely on the assumption that yields are in the single digits, which to me is unreliable and defies all logic unless Charlie's doom and gloom theory is right. That would mean after 3 revisions almost nothing has changed...

Xion X2
02-23-10, 11:42 PM
Please, not another round of the ATi fan's favorite game:

"When ATi's single chip is losing to a dual GPU NVIDIA part, it's not a fair comparison. When ATi is winning with a dual GPU part, it's a fair comparison"

It was pretty clear I was comparing single GPUs, don't be an asshat.

Listen, kid.

Ignoring the fact right away that you're making up an argument for me that I never made above, you claimed that 5870 and 480 were in the same market in the post that I was referencing. That 480 would be the "market leader." Since when does the "same market" mean "single GPU"? And since when does the "same market" not include high end vs. high end since 480 is Nvidia's high-end part at this time? Are you rewriting the dictionary for us all?

The only one playing "games" here is you. You love to play these word games when you get called on your poor logic to try to dig out of the hole that you've dug yourself in. You love to take everything and spin it around to put it in the best light for the green team and the worst light for the red team--facts be damned. I know it, you know it, the entire interwebs knows it. If there's anyone on this planet who shouldn't be labeling anyone else a "fan" of another company, it's you. All you do is sit on Nvidia's Quadro and spin.

Even Mike, the site owner of NVNews, is less biased toward Nvidia than you. He runs a 5870 and has openly questioned how good Fermi will be compared to the performance it gives him. Now that man gets my respect. One who can see past their fandom for a certain company and simply acknowledge a good product without feeling the need to constantly put it down. HUGE respect from me. Those are the kind of people that I can reason with.

You should try being a little more non-partisan sometime. You'd garner a hell of a lot more respect than you do now.

And for the record, I don't like this kind of demeanor on EITHER side. For example, I'm not crazy about how Shadow parades around the forum constantly arguing against Fermi, either. It's fairly obvious that neither one of you can reason outside your own little box.

Have fun, I guess. I have more productive things to attend to.

shadow001
02-24-10, 12:06 AM
Those rumors do rely on the assumption that yields are in the single digits, which to me is unreliable and defies all logic unless Charlie's doom and gloom theory is right. That would mean after 3 revisions almost nothing has changed...

Absolutely true,but at the end of the day,since the HD5870 was released and Nvidia know what they're facing,if whatever issues Fermi was facing to require 3 respins,which might not all be yeild related btw(logic bugs and power issues,target clock speeds),also didn't allow to beat the HD5870 in performance within a gaming environment,there would be no point in releasing a Geforce version of it in the first place.

A fermi based Tesla or quadro card however is a lot more tolerant to bad yeilds and not hitting targetted clock speeds,since there's no competition in those markets from ATI and those cards sell for a lot more money than the Geforce ever would.

If i'm not mistaken and i'm going by memory here,a leaked Nvidia PDF detailing the tesla C2050 and C2070 Fermi based cards for instance,will sell for 2100$ and 2700$ respectively,so many times over the price of the Geforce version,hence there's there's a lot more profit margin there and bad yeilds aren't as much of a problem....Makes one wonder how many chips will be alloted for the Geforce version to be honest,at least until yeilds improve(if they are an issue still of course),as Nvidia are there to make money above all else,and there's a lot of money to be made with tesla and quadro based versions using fermi chips.

shadow001
02-24-10, 12:31 AM
For example, I'm not crazy about how Shadow parades around the forum constantly arguing against Fermi, either. It's fairly obvious that neither one of you can reason outside your own little box.

Have fun, I guess. I have more productive things to attend to.

Moi,i pose difficult questions to answer that's all....I go on hard realworld performance numbers,and all we've see of fermi is speculation,and technical papers for both GP-GPU back in late september and some gaming features in a late january article,but no clock speeds,or power consumption or a preview of performance....Even anandtech was getting pissed about it in his article.

Revs
02-24-10, 02:28 AM
This is getting boring guys. Please stop.

Muppet
02-24-10, 03:41 AM
The is getting boing guys. Please stop.

Yes, why can't we all just get along. :)

wysiwyg
02-24-10, 06:29 AM
how much are they gonna be and when are they out in the UK?

i couldnt be bothered to read the previous posts as it seemed like hand bag slapping

grey_1
02-24-10, 06:43 AM
how much are they gonna be and when are they out in the UK?

i couldnt be bothered to read the previous posts as it seemed like hand bag slapping

:rofl that's hilarious :D

Personally I will be content to wait and see.

My super is being iffy about giving me the time off to attend this event, so a Fermi may not be in the works for me after all that day.

I'm good with waiting to see what NV brings to the table that day...I'll have a card or 2 eventually...no need to get nasty about it now.

LydianKnight
02-24-10, 06:47 AM
... as it seemed like hand bag slapping

:lol2:

weevil
02-24-10, 07:35 AM
Handbags yes :)

But you have to smile seeing someone write something like this in a user-forum for Nvidia products

You love to take everything and spin it around to put it in the best light for the green team and the worst light for the red team--facts be damned. I know it...

See up top it's called nvnews, slight green tinge to this site do you think maybe? Allowable perhaps on er, normal logic grounds?

Which is why I call in to see news on Nvidia products which I'm about to buy, thanks rollo

weevil
02-24-10, 07:37 AM
an nV shill on NVNews

Crikey that's a shock, whatever next? :)

Iruwen
02-24-10, 07:47 AM
Funny how the ATI fans storm a totally NV biased site to defend their toys against a product which won't be available for at least a month.
Any assumptions made here are based on almost nothing but some pieces of architectural information, so I really wonder why they even bother to construct performance ratings, details about noise, power consumption and heat dissipation and even comparisons to existing products from those bits of information.
It gets even funnier when they simply start to invent prices and figures of initial availability.
Get a life and wait until March 26th when detail information will be available. There's enough time to bash each other based on facts then.
I don't know who Rollo is and what he did in other places, but reading through the last few pages at least he doesn't base his arguments on myths and theories some guy who seems to be a known NV hater initially spread.

Rollo
02-24-10, 07:55 AM
an nV shill on NVNews

Crikey that's a shock, whatever next? :)

It's lucky for me I had no beverage in hand or mouth when I read this, would've ruined my laptop. LOL

Revs
02-24-10, 07:59 AM
There's no major nV bias here, Iruwen. You notice there are plenty of peeps here with ATi cards. Even MikeC was saying he'd get a 5870 if the Fermi wasn't up to par. It's just the thought of new cards turns folks funny around here :D. Anyhow, welcome to the forum :).

wysiwyg
02-24-10, 08:02 AM
ATI and nvidia owners are both PC game enthusiasts

one and the same

= PWNT teh console crap