View Full Version : nVidia unveil at Pax East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

onmikesline
02-24-10, 09:48 PM
Nvidia is dead right now just deal with it

top3koms
02-24-10, 09:56 PM

lol ,you wouldn't be stirring the pot now would you ? (popcorn)

Tho I see no way in which Nvidia are dead I surely enjoyed reading your opinion.Seems to me they gained market share on ATI during their DX11 absence but maybe you know something I do not.

onmikesline
02-24-10, 09:59 PM
hey, wheres my popcorn ill join you top3koms. ill take the red team:fanboy:

Rollo
02-24-10, 10:06 PM

Heh, I bet AMD/ATi wish they were as "dead" as NVIDIA. Must be frustrating for them losing the marketshare struggle year in year out, even when they have better products.

Technically the only reason anyone would have had to buy a NVIDIA desktop card in Q4 09 is the features. (PhysX, 3dVision, CUDA)

ATi had high end DX11 out, and lower priced/similar performing DX10.1 out- and STILL lost market to NVIDIA's more expensive DX10 cards.

Personally I believe all NVIDIA has to do is match the HD5XXX series to beat ATi in sales. I think if they beat ATi, it won't be pretty.

onmikesline
02-24-10, 10:11 PM
....(throwpc)

lee63
02-24-10, 11:24 PM
:headexplode: the things I read on theses forums :headexplode:

shadow001
02-24-10, 11:55 PM
:headexplode: the things I read on theses forums :headexplode:

Heh,found this at VR-zone as ATI's reply to the GTX 480 as soon as it launches.

http://vr-zone.com/forums/565070/amd-s-real-answer-to-geforce-gtx-480-aib-custom-5970s.html

Custom designed HD5970's running at 850/1200 using custom coolers,but this time,having 4GB of GDDR 5 onboard(2GB per GPU basically).

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/20100225ares.jpg

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/20100225ares3.png

Picture of the cooler and the projected increases over the stock HD5970 card.

shadow001
02-25-10, 12:02 AM
Then there's this:

GTX470 is supposedly 25% faster than the GTX285 card,and that the GTX 480 gets close to the HD5970 cards,but also prices:

GTX470 comes in at ~500$.
GTX480 comes in at ~600$.

GTX480 uses as much power as the HD5970 card supposedly(294 watts).

http://vr-zone.com/forums/565049/geforce-gtx-470-will-be-20-25-better-than-geforce-gtx-285.html

JasonPC
02-25-10, 01:14 AM

http://vr-zone.com/forums/565070/amd-s-real-answer-to-geforce-gtx-480-aib-custom-5970s.html

Custom designed HD5970's running at 850/1200 using custom coolers,but this time,having 4GB of GDDR 5 onboard(2GB per GPU basically).

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/20100225ares.jpg

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/20100225ares3.png

I bet that card will make the Asus GTX 285 Mars look abundant... and cheap.

lee63
02-25-10, 01:25 AM
Then there's this:

GTX470 is supposedly 25% faster than the GTX285 card,and that the GTX 480 gets close to the HD5970 cards,but also prices:

http://vr-zone.com/forums/565049/geforce-gtx-470-will-be-20-25-better-than-geforce-gtx-285.html

I'll just wait for the ATi refresh if thats the case....or the MSI lightning. I'd rather spend the extra money on a Gulftown.

JH24
02-25-10, 01:52 AM
Then there's this:

Based on this, the GTX 480 might be positioned just right, not to mention it offers single GPU performance. The GTX 470 seems too expensive for what it is speculated to offer in performance.

shadow001
02-25-10, 02:00 AM
I bet that card will make the Asus GTX 285 Mars look abundant... and cheap.

Doesn't really mention if it's a limited edition card like the GTX295 MARS was,but the difference between it and the regular HD5970 is the cooler and extra memory as far as i can tell,and i can easily run both my HD5970 cards at those clocks easily,but the stock cooler becomes very noisy then,especially on demanding benchmarks like the unigine heaven demo.

If i was looking to overclock them on a permanent basis,i'd seriously look into water cooling them,and the blocks are already available from koolance...About 140$ a piece though.

The GTX295 MARS sold for about 1500$ a pop,and Asus only made 1000 cards anyhow,though in all fairness Asus had to design a custom PCB for it,since the regular GTX295 used a 448 bit memory bus for each GPU,while the Mars had the full 512 bit bus for each GPU.

shadow001
02-25-10, 02:04 AM
Based on this, the GTX 480 might be positioned just right, not to mention it offers single GPU performance. The GTX 470 seems too expensive for what it is speculated to offer in performance.

At this point,with rumors are going all over the place depending on where you look,and to be honest,it's not the first time that fake information is intentionally leaked to see who can't keep their mouth shut,before a given NDA is officially over,take everything you read with the usual pile of salt.

Muppet
02-25-10, 03:48 AM
At this point,with rumors are going all over the place depending on where you look,and to be honest,it's not the first time that fake information is intentionally leaked to see who can't keep their mouth shut,before a given NDA is officially over,take everything you read with the usual pile of salt.

I always do. :)

Rollo
02-25-10, 07:04 AM

That won't be a great response to the GTX480 because:
1. 5970s rely on driver profiles ATi has to create. They're usually MIA when games launch.
2. Scaling is variable, so performance with multi GPU cards is a mixed bag.
3. Purists will point to "microstutter" as the factor that prevents them from buying multiGPU
4. Variance in functionality of vsynch and triple buffering with multi GPU

OTOH. it would be nice (although surprising to me) if the GTX480 is as fast as a HD5970. I expect them to be faster than 5870s, but that would be a leap forward in performance beyond any prior. 5970s are very fast cards.

Revs
02-25-10, 07:59 AM
5970s are very fast cards.

Except in the only game that actually needs the added power of a second GPU.... Crysis.

Rollo
02-25-10, 08:21 AM
Except in the only game that actually needs the added power of a second GPU.... Crysis.

That would be part of the "scaling is variable" I mentioned.

I don't know that a GTX480 isn't as fast as a 5970, but if it is, that will be EPIC. I don't know if there's ever been that big of a leap forward in GPU tech that I can remember.

If that is the case, no one would have any reason to purchase an ATi card at all.

wysiwyg
02-25-10, 08:33 AM
anyone know how much faster itll be compared to the 295

Revs
02-25-10, 09:06 AM
If that is the case, no one would have any reason to purchase an ATi card at all.

True, unless the 480/470 has heat issues. That's one of my worries about this card. In that past I've always gone for two of the second fastest cards (8800GTS/GTX260) because they ran cooler and the price/performance ratio was better. I'm hoping the GTX470 is going to continue that trend. If so I'll have two :D.

wysiwyg; no idea yet. Well, I don't, others might :p. I'm hoping same or slightly faster. Might be asking a bit much there tho.

Iruwen
02-25-10, 09:09 AM
anyone know how much faster itll be compared to the 295

43,9825321%, +/-0,0000001%

True, unless the 480/470 has heat issues. That's one of my worries about this card.

I don't care about heat, but about noise. It can run at 90C all the time if that's within the specification as long as it doesn't sound like a GeForce FX 5800 Ultra.

pkirby11
02-25-10, 11:19 AM
That would be part of the "scaling is variable" I mentioned.

I don't know that a GTX480 isn't as fast as a 5970, but if it is, that will be EPIC. I don't know if there's ever been that big of a leap forward in GPU tech that I can remember.

Except for the fact that it's rumored to be $500 or more. Again price is the key factor, the GTX 480 and 470 could clean my house and make me breakfast and I still wouldn't buy it. I don't have $350 for a card let alone $500+ you know they are going to be. One day when your older and you need to retire you'll look back on the thousands you spent every six months to upgrade your card to have just a few more FPS in a game and wonder why because you have no money. Unless your rich or get freebies which it sounds like you do Rollo which is also why you push so hard to sell NVIDIA.

I'm not rich but I'm not poor. I do however need to use some common sense and realize that right now a 5850 or 5870 will play all the current games I need to at a respectable setting. Hell I've not run into any issues running games on my 4870 for that matter. I also have a PS3 so if the computer won't handle it I'll buy it on that. I don't need a big e-penis and I don't care if I get over 60FPS in games any more. After blowing a grand or more year buying the fastest graphics cards for years, mostly NVIDA SLI, I realized how stupid it was. I could have saved that money towards better things, especially in this economy.

So no Rollo your statement isn't 100% true for everyone. While many hardcore users like many on this forum would agree I for one will buy the one that's the cheapest and offers great performance and I can assure many other consumers think more like me these days. That is why I will stick with ATI until NVIDA proves me wrong. That is one reason why the 4870 did so well, it was out performed by NVIDIA's offering but it was a great card at a great price. However I'm hoping that all these price rumors are just that and rumors. I for one used to love NVIDIA and wouldn't mind going green again but only if it's under $400.

Enrico_be
02-25-10, 11:25 AM
Whoah ! The GTX 480 ~ as fast as a HD5970 o.O If that is true, that would be totally epic ! A single GPU, beating a dual one. It could be because why would Nvidia say @ facebook & Twitter : "The worlds most anticipated and fastest gaming technology ever created"

Some more recent news btw:

Xbitlabs
*Lower-Cost Fermi Graphics Processors Due in the Middle of the Year. (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20100225062603_Lower_Cost_Fermi_Graphics_Processor s_Due_in_the_Middle_of_the_Year_Nvidia.html)

Techreport
* Nvidia to prioritize bigger partners for GF100 launch (http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18525)

Johnny C
02-25-10, 12:12 PM
Whoah ! The GTX 480 ~ as fast as a HD5970 o.O If that is true, that would be totally epic ! A single GPU, beating a dual one. It could be because why would Nvidia say @ facebook & Twitter : "The worlds most anticipated and fastest gaming technology ever created"

Some more recent news btw:

Xbitlabs
*Lower-Cost Fermi Graphics Processors Due in the Middle of the Year. (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20100225062603_Lower_Cost_Fermi_Graphics_Processor s_Due_in_the_Middle_of_the_Year_Nvidia.html)

Techreport
* Nvidia to prioritize bigger partners for GF100 launch (http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18525)

Where did you get that it would be as fast as a 5970.....no one....not even Rollo has claimed that.

Charlie wrote that it would be faster in "tessellation limited situations" do you now what tessellation is? How many games use tessellation to date?

Also saying something is the "fastest technology" doesn't mean that it produces the best frame rates or image quality. Fastest @ what? DP precision? Tessellation? doesn't really qualify the statement does it.

I wish people would stick to the facts, of which there are none, and just stfu until we see some actual benches of cards in the field....or the NDA lifts and people in the know can let us peons in on the scoop.

Enrico_be
02-25-10, 12:26 PM

"Donanimhaber.com talked with reliable source about GeForce GTX 470 and GeForce GTX 480. According to article, performance of GeForce GTX 470 will be better than GeForce GTX 285 (20-25%), performance of GeForce GTX 480 will be closely with ATi Radeon HD 5970."

I am allowed to dream, ain't I :) ?

shadow001
02-25-10, 12:59 PM
That won't be a great response to the GTX480 because:
1. 5970s rely on driver profiles ATi has to create. They're usually MIA when games launch.

Starting from Catalyst 10.2 onwards,the crossfire profiles can be updated seperately from the actual drivers themselves,so if a new game does launch and the drivers don't have a profile for it,an updated profile package will be available to download within a couple of days.

2. Scaling is variable, so performance with multi GPU cards is a mixed bag.

That i can agree with fully,it takes games that are mainly memory bandwith and or raw fillrate limited to see the best performance scaling,but GPU's are getting so freaky fast anyhow,that even the fastest CPU's are holding them back in almost every case...Here's an example than can be compared with the info i linked in my last post:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1704729

X23313 score,and that was with the cards not being overclocked,which when they were,only increased the final result 800 points,and this is with a 4Ghz i7 920 chip backing it up,so it doesn't get much faster than that while remaining stable for everyday use....I need a gulftown 6 core Cpu to get an even higher score at the extreme settings of 3D mark vantage.

3. Purists will point to "microstutter" as the factor that prevents them from buying multiGPU

I've seen it happen,but it can only happen when the frame rate hits pretty low levels anyhow(think 30~40 FPS),as each seperate frame gets rendered fairly slowly,and variations from frame to frame in render time are more aparent,hence it microstutters,but in most cases,i'm doing a lot closer to 100 Fps in average performance,which means each frame averages out at 10 miliseconds,or 1/100th of a second on average....You'd have to have a pretty mean set of eyeballs to notice rendering time variations in each frame,the kind of eyesight that would make a eagle proud basically....:D

4. Variance in functionality of vsynch and triple buffering with multi GPU

This i'm finding hard to understand the meaning of,since i actually keep Vsynch enabled on all games,primarily to avoid screen tearing,as the card can spit out so many frames so fast,that the LCD panel can't keep up basically,as well as i can't say i've noticed anything off with triple buffering so far either.

OTOH. it would be nice (although surprising to me) if the GTX480 is as fast as a HD5970. I expect them to be faster than 5870s, but that would be a leap forward in performance beyond any prior. 5970s are very fast cards.

We'll see when the reviews finally come out i guess,but if it isn't as fast and Nvidia needs a dual Fermi card to really beat it,then despite all the perceived flaws with Multi GPU setups you listed above,it will be their 4th Dual GPU card and if you exclude 3dfx,they were the first company to introduce multi GPU setups using seperate cards...Something to think about ;)

Dual GPU cards list as---> 7950 GX2--->9800GX2--->GTX295--->possible fermi?

They basically made just as many dual GPU cards as ATI did so far,if we exclude an card ATI released in 1999~2000 called the rage fury maxx(dual rage 128 graphics chips),and it only worked with windows 98 anyhow.