PDA

View Full Version : nVidia unveil at Pax East

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

AdamK47
02-22-10, 12:07 PM
The official response to "Are you Ready?" is on nVidia's website.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/paxeast.html

They also make a mention of ChrisRay on there which is very nice.

Rollo
02-22-10, 02:52 PM
Please note that this is the hard launch date- you'll be able to buy the cards on 3/26/10, NDA will expire, and there will be much fun to be had at PAX East. Hope to see you there.:cool:

I'll post some Fermi impressions that day as well, hopefully with 3D Vision Surround included. (if I can convince my long suffering wife that March is a better time to give me my birthday gift than June!)

darkrider01
02-22-10, 03:28 PM
To recognize ChrisRay’s passion and selfless support of the community, we worked with renowned modder Richard “Darth Beavis” Surroz to create a customized PC with NVIDIA artwork. The ChrisRay Special Edition PC features dual GeForce GTX 480 GPUs in SLI (of course!), and we’re going to raffle it off at PAX. All of the proceeds from the raffle will benefit ChrisRay’s mom, who could use a helping hand. Help us honor Chris by buying some tickets, and maybe you’ll win a truly kickass SLI PC!

So...wonder how long Darth has been playing with dual GTX 480's in SLi? I know he'll make a killer tribute to Chris.

top3koms
02-22-10, 04:08 PM
I just cannot believe Nvidia made an announcement to make an announcement .I will eagarly await the cards but strictly because ATI just does not offer as much.If ATI had some sort of physics engine or customizable game profiles I may be looking to that camp.For now I will just have to be happy to wait and hope for the best.

Sazar
02-22-10, 04:30 PM
RIP Chris. Not sure if I can win the PC myself, but bid if you can chaps and have the funds :)

Can't wait to finally see the cards in action honestly :)

ragejg
02-22-10, 04:43 PM
LAN gaming? That still exists?

:p

Rollo
02-22-10, 05:27 PM
I just cannot believe Nvidia made an announcement to make an announcement .I will eagarly await the cards but strictly because ATI just does not offer as much.If ATI had some sort of physics engine or customizable game profiles I may be looking to that camp.For now I will just have to be happy to wait and hope for the best.

NVIDIA did not "make an announcement to make an announcement".

That is the day you can buy the cards, NDA ends. The "announcement" was to inform the public this product is being hard launched at PAX East, you can buy one there if you wish.

The whole gaming world has been speculating about the date this card launches, NVIDIA told them today.

Now anyone who wants to buy a HD5870 in the next 32 days can at least decide whether they want to wait the 32 days and have a NVIDIA option in their buying choices.

When you're considering spending $400+, 32 days is not that long to wait. If it's too long to wait, my opinion is "for one month of having the best single GPU card out, the user traded eleven months of having the best single GPU card". Because the GTX480 is faster than a HD5870, has more features, and is an evolution in GPU arch.

The 5870 is going to look kind of, well, "pale" in comparison very soon. (sooner yet for some of us!)
;)

lee63
02-22-10, 05:40 PM
Please note that this is the hard launch date- you'll be able to buy the cards on 3/26/10, NDA will expire, and there will be much fun to be had at PAX East. Hope to see you there.:cool:

I'll post some Fermi impressions that day as well, hopefully with 3D Vision Surround included. (if I can convince my long suffering wife that March is a better time to give me my birthday gift than June!)
You'll be able to buy them on the 26th...what about the 27th.

AdamK47
02-22-10, 05:44 PM
Soooo... what's the price of the GTX 480? It's already speculated that the GTX 470 is $299, so I would have to guess the GTX480 is $399. How far off am I? Need to know so I can set aside that much for two in SLI.

grey_1
02-22-10, 06:03 PM
I may take a day off and visit- Hynes C. Center is all of 30 minutes from my house.

Might come home with a shiney new card...maybe.

Rollo
02-22-10, 06:27 PM
You'll be able to buy them on the 26th...what about the 27th.

HD5870-esque Phantom Edition launch where the internet will complain for 3 months about no cards available and NVIDIA won't gain any market share due to lack of stock? Or will there be plenty for everyone?

My guess is the answer will lie somewhere in between. ;)

AdamK47
02-22-10, 06:29 PM
The worst thing they could do is say it's available that day, but only at Pax East and in limited quantities. Just to say they have hardware available on the same day reviews are out.

Ninja Prime
02-22-10, 06:56 PM
Interesting that the NDA doesn't expire until launch... Why dont they want us to know anything about it before we buy it?

H4yd3n
02-22-10, 07:03 PM
NVIDIA: We want to apologize for the confusion around our most recent GF100 update. To clarify, the launch date for GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 is March 26, 2010. This date also coincides with the GeForce LAN event NVIDIA is hosting at PAX 2010. Hope you can attend the show. For more info, please visit: www.nvidia.com/paxeast
Edit: Oh boy, 480 is $699.99.

Rollo
02-22-10, 07:12 PM
Interesting that the NDA doesn't expire until launch... Why dont they want us to know anything about it before we buy it?

It's a pretty common practice in the graphics industry Ninja Prime. I know second tier companies like ATi sometimes opt to do "paper launches", but NVDIA hasn't done this for a long time.

They saw how angry the customers got with ATi's X800XT Phantom Edition, and decided to keep availability of parts and information simultaneous since then.

Revs
02-22-10, 07:16 PM
The 5870 is going to look kind of, well, "pale" in comparison very soon. (sooner yet for some of us!)
;)

I hate people knowing stuff I wanna know. Damn you NDA! :p

pkirby11
02-22-10, 07:23 PM
NVIDIA did not "make an announcement to make an announcement".

That is the day you can buy the cards, NDA ends. The "announcement" was to inform the public this product is being hard launched at PAX East, you can buy one there if you wish.

The whole gaming world has been speculating about the date this card launches, NVIDIA told them today.

Now anyone who wants to buy a HD5870 in the next 32 days can at least decide whether they want to wait the 32 days and have a NVIDIA option in their buying choices.

When you're considering spending $400+, 32 days is not that long to wait. If it's too long to wait, my opinion is "for one month of having the best single GPU card out, the user traded eleven months of having the best single GPU card". Because the GTX480 is faster than a HD5870, has more features, and is an evolution in GPU arch.

;)

Well to be fair the article says "Test drive our highly-anticipated, next-generation GPU…you may even be able to buy one before anyone else"

That may be when the NDA is up but that doesn't mean I can hop over to Newegg and pick one up. You may can mean many things. But seeing as you obviously have the inside scoop I'll trust you when you say that they will launch for sale on the 26th. But you can see were some people would think it's and announcement to make and announcement.

pkirby11
02-22-10, 07:24 PM
I hate people knowing stuff I wanna know. Damn you NDA! :p

I know right?! :D

AdamK47
02-22-10, 07:35 PM
Edit: Oh boy, 480 is $699.99.

Where did you get that? From the fake pre-order site linked earlier today?

lee63
02-22-10, 07:42 PM
HD5870-esque Phantom Edition launch where the internet will complain for 3 months about no cards available and NVIDIA won't gain any market share due to lack of stock? Or will there be plenty for everyone?

My guess is the answer will lie somewhere in between. ;)I never mentioned ATi...will there be cards for everyone, that's all. Or will we be paying 1, 2, 3 hundred over msrp ?

Rummy
02-22-10, 07:50 PM
I never mentioned ATi...will there be cards for everyone, that's all. Or will we be paying 1, 2, 3 hundred over msrp ?

LOL probably the latter. You know how launches go.:)

trivium nate
02-22-10, 08:46 PM
I'd like to go to pax pretty sweet stuff from nvidia

Ninja Prime
02-22-10, 09:30 PM
It's a pretty common practice in the graphics industry Ninja Prime. I know second tier companies like ATi sometimes opt to do "paper launches", but NVDIA hasn't done this for a long time.

They saw how angry the customers got with ATi's X800XT Phantom Edition, and decided to keep availability of parts and information simultaneous since then.

I like how you trash ATI for tactics NV invented. At least they had the courtesy to release benchmarks on the 5870 2-3 weeks before it came out, I guess NV isn't that confident though.

weevil
02-23-10, 05:52 AM
Thanks rollo, can't wait to see your review. You lucky devil :)

Can you please test Rise of Flight when you have some time sir? I can provide you with a benchmark (WW1 flight simulator, advanced non-PhysX physics, fluid dynamics, works the cores very hard)

http://riseofflight.com/en/store/planes

Vardant
02-23-10, 06:16 AM
I like how you trash ATI for tactics NV invented. At least they had the courtesy to release benchmarks on the 5870 2-3 weeks before it came out, I guess NV isn't that confident though.
Paper launch is now considered a courtesy? Oh boy...

Sometimes it feels like NV is forcing you to wait or even to buy their product.