PDA

View Full Version : Asus P4C800-E Deluxe support Prescott?

slappy
07-14-03, 05:15 PM
Im looking into getting one of these new boards in a week or so. Does it support Prescott cpu's?

Thanks

prodikal
07-14-03, 05:22 PM
yup

koneill
07-21-03, 10:14 PM
despite what Asus claims, the board does not support prescott. intel themselves didn't realize that boards would require more than the power spec'd for the 865 and 875 chipsets until just recently - even beyond the slightly extra headroom provided by some of the Taiwanese board manufacturers. No board existst that is within spec for prescott, and no one can spin a board fast enough to offer an existing board that does at this time.

expect board makers to introduce "revs" of their current 865 and 875 products.

"Yes! Our board supports it!"

Buyer beware.

cvearl
07-22-03, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by koneill
despite what Asus claims, the board does not support prescott. intel themselves didn't realize that boards would require more than the power spec'd for the 865 and 875 chipsets until just recently - even beyond the slightly extra headroom provided by some of the Taiwanese board manufacturers. No board existst that is within spec for prescott, and no one can spin a board fast enough to offer an existing board that does at this time.

expect board makers to introduce "revs" of their current 865 and 875 products.

"Yes! Our board supports it!"

Buyer beware.

Hmmm... I'd sure like to see a link to this Intel statement.

Charles

koneill
07-22-03, 08:10 PM
links aren't the gospel. assume my statements are correct. do you think intel would be posting it everywhere? "No, please! Don't buy any more 875P motherboards! Really! They don't support Prescott and we don't want your money! Wait until new motherboard are released until you upgrade! And while you're at it, waiting for a shiny new board, whatever you do - WHATEVER you do - do NOT buy a new processor from us!"

think about it. you think intel's going to say anything at all about this? why do you think asus pulled "prescott support" from their 875 and 865 boards' respective websites? because they'd rather not sell motherboards?

no.

The Baron
07-22-03, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by cvearl
Hmmm... I'd sure like to see a link to this Intel statement.

Charles
Meh, I think the guy's right. Perhaps we'll see support added via the BIOS and some sort of adapter (like the Slockets! :D ) that draws external power (maybe gets its extra power from floppy drives?).

But, I'd be surprised. If they did that, it would prevent you from buying the 905 chipset or whatever they'll call it.

cvearl
07-23-03, 01:46 AM
Posted at another forum...

Well, I've gotten to being sufficiently annoyed at all the rumours floating around about some spec change on Intel's part that will make current 875/865 motherboards incompatable with the socket 478 Prescott. I'm sure that a few others that browse through here are similarly annoyed at this issue, so I thought I'd post the nice logical reasons why these are almost certainly just unsubstantiated rumours. (Heh, also thought I'd post because maybe someone will listen here )

Okay, all this started with a post on Anandtech saying all current motherboards wouldn't be compatable with Prescott because Intel changed some "VIN" from 1.0 to 1.5. Who knows what they're thinking with that one, since VIN usually signifies an input voltage of some sort, but there is no occurence of a VIN in any of Intel's datasheets, so strike that. Oh yeah, also strike that because there were two other reports, which I'll now get to.

The Inquirer also had a nice little piece on this, there was no mention of this "VIN" however. Instead it was a mysterious "new specification for Prescott will be called FMB1" that was the problem. But however could this be a NEW specification??? Considering that you'll find a prescott FMB1 in Intel's design guides for the 875/865 chipsets.

Now lastly we have XBit labs, the place that has 'confirmation' that current 875/865 motherboards will be incompatable with Prescott. The reason for this incompatability? Oh, it's not FMB1 guidelines, no no, it's the fact that Intel changed the requirement from FMB1 to FMB1.5! Now, I'll be perfectly truthful, I can't find an FMB1.5 guideline anywhere on intel's developer site. Nope, I can only find FMB1 and FMB2. It's only necessary for the boards to be FMB1, not FMB2, but FMB2 is most definitely mentioned in the design guides for the pentium 4 VRD 10.0. (Oh yeah, and look on page 16 of Asus' P4P800 manual, you'll see that it has an FMB2 power design.) So unless FMB2 isn't compatable with this mysterious FMB1.5 that Xbit labs claims is the problem, then I sure would think that the Asus motherboard would work (as well as any good manufacturer.) Oh yeah, and as far as I can tell, the main requirement of the FMB specifications is how much current the power circuitry can deliver to the processor. (Oh, and another thing that really makes me doubt that XBit Labs' story is all that credible is thanks to a comment made in this story. Specifically, "Frankly speaking, I have no idea if there are FMB 2.0 guidelines ratified by Intel for the VRM 10.0" when tthere are mentions of FMB 2.0 in intel's design guides.)

Now then, if I were reading this, I'd be currently thinking that these claims of current 875/865 motherboards being incompatable with Prescott are pure unsubstantiated rumour. There is, however, one little thing in Intel's design guides that makes it a bit uncertain. That little thing is that their datasheets make it seem as if the FMB (flexible motherboard) might be a processor specific specification. See, sometimes the datasheet says ""Pentium 4 processor's FMB2 platforms", while at others it says "processor code named Prescott's FMB2 platforms." Heh, no matter what, however, it does do a nice job of refuting the fact that Intel didn't suddenly spring a new FMB specification required for Prescott upon manufacturers. After all, the FMB2 specification isn't something new, and if this FMB 1.5 that Xbit claims exists has more requirements than FMB2, then why would Intel name it as it did?

So, this talk of some new FMB1.5 being introduced and making current 875/865 motherboards not compatable with Prescott is almost undoubtedly an unsubstantiated rumour. That doesn't mean that current motherboards will work with Prescott, after all, a manufacturer does NOT have to make their 875/865 motherboards Prescott compatable.

Well, hope that this was somewhat informative, all these claims being made were getting quite annoying, especially since it was quite clear they never even took the time to look at Intel's datasheets.

cvearl
07-23-03, 01:48 AM
Perhaps he is referring to this article amoung others...

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=20014

Charles.

gordon151
07-26-03, 03:15 PM
If this PCWatch article, accessable by this link here (http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/0722/kaigai005.htm), is correct then there just might be substance to the rumors of Prescott not being supported in current mainboards. Apparently it's power consumption is even higher than anticipated and it's not clear if that can be addressed by launch. This is the reason for the new FMB 1.5 specification that everyone is talking about.

Dazz
07-26-03, 04:55 PM
And thats if Intel stay with the 478 pins, think they will? I don't, not if they use hyper threading 2 etc. Hence Intel have not commented on anything.