View Full Version : Problems downloading Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 from Steam, any hint?

02-23-10, 10:07 AM

I don't know if it's a real problem, but it's beginning to really piss me off... I started downloading Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 after I purchased it, but yesterday, it was downloading in pretty good shape (around 300-310KB/s, I'm on a 3mbit DSL), but suddenly, instead of showing the typical message 'downloading 31% ...' it changed to 'updating 0%' so I was frustrated enough, hence I stopped it, powered down the computer and went to sleep.

This morning I resumed the download so it was still on 'updating x% ...' and right until now it was around 71%, and tada!!! again 'updating 0% ...'

What the f*ck is going on with the game, or Steam???

Do any of you experience the same as me? Had exactly the same behaviour some weeks ago with Grand Theft Auto IV, and Aliens VS Predator, so I tried downloading Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as I didn't wanted to leave the computer on for a full day, and it's a shorter download but now... I don't have a single clue about what's happening?

Should I change my download location, maybe? Currently, I have it matching my location 'Portugal/Spain' (as I live in Spain)...

Any hint would be greatly appreciated, as I'm extremely pissed off with this :(

02-23-10, 10:24 AM
it's the usual steam bs when downloading big files, get used to it as it'll happen again.

most of the time it just sorts itself out, you could try changing your loacation but i'd just grab a beer & a spliff & wait it out.

Good luck.

02-23-10, 10:28 AM
Changed location to 'United Kingdom', for now it goes at the same download speed, although if you say it comes from Steam, I guess it can't be helped, but my average download size for the vast majority of games always exceeds 7GB+, maybe it's something related to downloads 10GB+ bigger...


02-23-10, 12:19 PM
Nevermind, finally downloaded it, I also lacked one of the first to-do steps before actually using Steam: opening its ports on my router, maybe it also had something to do with it.

Now it appears to work with unneeded pauses.

Thanks for the info :)