PDA

View Full Version : SSDs and gaming

newparad1gm
02-24-10, 10:10 AM
Got a question for you SSD owners out there. I know that having one will improve the overall computing experience such as booting and running applications, but for gaming, what benefits are there to using an SSD? I know load times will improve, but I haven't seen too many actual gaming benchmarks. I know actual fps won't improve much or at all, but what about stuttering and hitching? Which games would stand to benefit most from an SSD?

Revs
02-24-10, 10:40 AM
Got a question for you SSD owners out there. I know that having one will improve the overall computing experience such as booting and running applications, but for gaming, what benefits are there to using an SSD? I know load times will improve, but I haven't seen too many actual gaming benchmarks. I know actual fps won't improve much or at all, but what about stuttering and hitching? Which games would stand to benefit most from an SSD?

If your stuttering is caused by slow loading textures, it should help. Otherwise, as you said, everything just loads faster.... much faster.

bacon12
02-24-10, 01:31 PM
^ This and the reason why I haven't already jumped on the bandwagon. I am usually one of those sucker early adopters, but I have 3 640 blacks in raid with a dedicated RR controller. So my hd performance is nothing to complain about.

I would just rather get a new video card when fermi comes out. I would probably appreciate it more in my laptop as well. I am not knocking anyone who buys them, just that I was able to resist for those reasons.

Revs
02-24-10, 03:15 PM
^ This and the reason why I haven't already jumped on the bandwagon. I am usually one of those sucker early adopters, but I have 3 640 blacks in raid with a dedicated RR controller. So my hd performance is nothing to complain about.

I would just rather get a new video card when fermi comes out. I would probably appreciate it more in my laptop as well. I am not knocking anyone who buys them, just that I was able to resist for those reasons.

I see your point, but I consider it one of my best upgrades in the last 12 months.

newparad1gm
02-24-10, 03:47 PM
Since all I do on my home machines is mainly gaming, along with web browsing and watching videos, I guess I'm just having a hard time justifying an SSD purchase when it doesn't have any noticeable effect on gaming. I really want to get that X25-M G2 at $430 from Newegg, but with the Crucial C300 out now using SATA3, maybe I'll just wait for that or similar upcoming SSDs to go down in price. By then I'll hopefully have upgraded to a SATA3 mobo.

Monolyth
02-25-10, 11:35 AM
If we are talking about a game-only drive then the benefits come in the form of reduced load times, faster install times. While I like the speed of my 2x30GB Vertexs I'm switching back to a conventional drive shortly (1TB 2-platter shortstroked). Having an SSD as an OS/app drive is insane awesome though, and I would highly recommend it. ;)

I have the need to load many more games, don't want to deal with RAID any more and the prices of the larger capacity SSDs with improved performance aren't where I want them at (OCZ Colossus for instance). That and I'm probably going to save my next SSD upgrade for when more SATA 6Gb/s SSD offerings are available.