PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon: Total War

JasonPC
02-24-10, 11:28 PM
Anyone got this game? Haven't played it too much but so far it seems promising, much more polished than Empire: Total War though not completely devoid of bugs.

There is no nvidia game profile for it so I had to use nhancer to get SLI to work. Looks like SLI will work in this game without too many hitches unlike Empire: Total War.

BTW Gamestop has a better deal than Steam. The Limited Edition comes with everything that the Imperial Edition on Steam comes with for $10 less (except the Medieval: Total War II download that was for preorders only, which was dirt cheap not long ago anyway).

K-1
02-25-10, 12:22 AM
Waiting anxiously for my copy to arrive. My local Fry's (electronics store) has the game for the same price I paid online, but it's a 40 minute drive and then I'd have to pay tax... but dammit I want to start the playing game so badly! If I don't get my shipping notice tomorrow, I'll probably cave and make the trip. Already have a friend waiting for me so we can start a campaign together!

methimpikehoses
02-25-10, 12:43 AM
So is this an expansion, or a stand-alone expansion? Trying to figure out what the point of this game is...

JasonPC
02-25-10, 12:56 AM
It's sort of a stand alone expansion but really it's more like a completely new game. The game engine and some resources are recycled but there's a significant difference in gameplay.

For example the attrition/resupply system is a huge difference in the way you play the game now. It used to be that an army far far away from friendly territories could go back to 100% strength in two turns. Now they must be in your territory to resupply and the rate of resupply is governed by factors in that territory. Also armies away from friendly territory in winter will be negatively affected due to starvation, disease, etc.

methimpikehoses
02-25-10, 01:15 AM
So it's harder to conquer territory now? ..........

MowTin
02-25-10, 01:31 AM
I always wanted to be Napoleon. This will be my first Total War game. But I'll just wait for till it gets fully patched and the price drops. There are just too many games on my plate right now.

NarcissistZero
02-25-10, 05:15 AM
I had a preorder at one point but canceled it, I promised myself I would beat Empire before I bought another TW game and I never did.

JasonPC
02-25-10, 01:53 PM
Empire is such a huge game it can be a big task to actually finish a game. So far I haven't noticed any huge bugs in N:TW. Only thing is the Picture in Picture thing they added isn't perfect but it's no big deal.

Armed_Baboon
02-25-10, 06:59 PM
so for people playing this game who have also played empire, a couple of questions:

1. Is the "more focused" gameplay a help with reducing the mid to end game grind where you are marching accross europe sweeping everything in your path and it starts to become a bit of chore?

2. given you now have specific objectives and territories to conquer (I presume), how does this affect the gameplay.

lee63
02-25-10, 07:04 PM
Can you guys post some pics please....I always loved the old Napoleonic Wars. I was fascinated with Waterloo growing up.

I just might pick this up.

Armed_Baboon
02-25-10, 07:37 PM
my gf is going away to Korea and Taiwan for most of March so I'm going to invest some hours into either this or SupCom2. trying to make up my mind...

JasonPC
02-25-10, 08:06 PM
so for people playing this game who have also played empire, a couple of questions:

1. Is the "more focused" gameplay a help with reducing the mid to end game grind where you are marching accross europe sweeping everything in your path and it starts to become a bit of chore?

2. given you now have specific objectives and territories to conquer (I presume), how does this affect the gameplay.

1. Yes in fact steamrolling isn't usually a wise option. You can still do it but it's a challenge. One of the new features is that you can "liberate" occupied territories and it will install a government and create a new nation that is your protectorate. They act as a buffer territory and will definitely fight with you against your enemy unlike the protectorates in E:TW.

2. The Italian and Egyptian campaigns have just one objective to beat the campaign, but there are many side missions that are historically influenced and have beneficial rewards. You don't have to do them, but they are pretty common sense to do anyway. The European Campaign seems much like this too but bigger.

There is also a Campaign of the Coalitions which you can fight as the nations fighting against France. These are more open ended and are more like the Grand Campaign from E:TW.

BTW I just got finished playing the Supreme Commander 2 demo and I was 'supremely' let down. It's very very much simplified from the first one. To a point that's almost maddening. I would suggest N:TW from my experience with the demo.

JasonPC
02-25-10, 09:40 PM
Some screenshots

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5007/napoleon1f.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1075/napoleon2.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9896/napoleon3.jpg

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6700/napoleon4.jpg

Armed_Baboon
02-25-10, 11:23 PM
1. Yes in fact steamrolling isn't usually a wise option. You can still do it but it's a challenge. One of the new features is that you can "liberate" occupied territories and it will install a government and create a new nation that is your protectorate. They act as a buffer territory and will definitely fight with you against your enemy unlike the protectorates in E:TW.

2. The Italian and Egyptian campaigns have just one objective to beat the campaign, but there are many side missions that are historically influenced and have beneficial rewards. You don't have to do them, but they are pretty common sense to do anyway. The European Campaign seems much like this too but bigger.

There is also a Campaign of the Coalitions which you can fight as the nations fighting against France. These are more open ended and are more like the Grand Campaign from E:TW.

BTW I just got finished playing the Supreme Commander 2 demo and I was 'supremely' let down. It's very very much simplified from the first one. To a point that's almost maddening. I would suggest N:TW from my experience with the demo.

thanks very much for the info.

NarcissistZero
02-25-10, 11:48 PM
Looks just like Empire.

JasonPC
02-25-10, 11:55 PM
Yeah pretty much. It uses the same engine and you could almost mistake the two. So think of the difference more like Supreme Commander and SupCom Forged Alliance. The improvements are small but noticeable. The units are a little more detailed and there's less clones (ie more unique faces). There's more smoke, craters where cannonballs land, the camera shakes around explosions, and the howitzer explosions look amazing.

lee63
02-26-10, 12:08 AM
Wow...great shots, thanks man :D

m3dude
02-26-10, 12:01 PM
looks decent enough for displaying so many units

JasonPC
02-27-10, 11:50 AM
The British must be thinking "We're going to need a bigger boat"

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7697/napoleon201002261456396.jpg

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/452/napoleon201002261459084.jpg

Sorry about the jaggies. I'm thinking "I need a bigger graphics card"

tornadog
03-01-10, 10:09 AM
I love the premise of these total war series games, but somehow I get bored playing it. I bought Rome Total War and Empire Total War, and both games have been gathering dust. Now I am tempted to buy this to add to that pile!!!

NarcissistZero
03-01-10, 12:09 PM
I loved the Empire demo but the actual game is bogged down by too much management and trial and error.

That comes from someone who only likes CnC RTS games because they are simple though, I am not someone who SHOULD be playing these games.

But I want to!

JasonPC
03-01-10, 02:26 PM
You could always just get it for the MP. The battles are simple enough but the campaign is a little more complex as expected. The first two campaigns are rather simple actually. They are composed of mostly battles and very little diplomacy and not very much managing. It's the European Campaign and Campaign of the Coalition that's more complicated. Also similar to the Empire demo, N:TW has a bunch of scripted battles (something that was lacking in Empire) that follow Napoleon's progress. Haven't played through them all but they seem pretty fun. They follow his progress from Italy, to Egypt, Austria, Russia, all the way to Waterloo.

Overall I find the game easier to get into than Empire just because you felt so lost in Empire since the map was so big and you had so many choices to make. Here the game gives you goals most of the time and makes it pretty clear what you should do. And it's much more focused since it's just Europe.

Heck if you are a really passive player you could just be Britain and sit back on your island with your superior fleet and just watch Napoleon take over all of Europe while you work on your economy and hoard money just so you can take it all back from him.

m3dude
03-01-10, 11:51 PM
the ocean battle scenes look nice, the land scenes are meh. not enough processing power to make a scene with so many units look good.

K-1
03-02-10, 04:16 AM
the ocean battle scenes look nice, the land scenes are meh. not enough processing power to make a scene with so many units look good.

You really have to see the land battles in motion (and up close) to appreciate them. The animations, the smoke effects, the particle effects; it all comes together to look totally fantastic in action.

Just got the game in today and I am hooked, the campaigns are definitely much easier to jump into than any other TW game yet. The battles are simply fantastic; I'm a recovering Empire multiplayer addict so I've already gotten in almost a dozen games online and each one was a treat (no losses so far :D).

Some shoddy screenshots from a few of my matches:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3711/napoleon201003020125168.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9503/napoleon201003020136425.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4413/napoleon201003020207557.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2531/napoleon201003020156053.jpg