PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Rain

Pages : [1] 2

Viral
02-27-10, 03:14 AM
Just finished it. Fantastic game, very fresh, good graphics for the most part, same with animations and on top of it all a great story.

I liked how there was no "game over" or "you died" scenarios. I also found that everything was real time and you had to ask questions/give answers on the fly, not like most rpg games.

On the downside, the movement controlls were always rather awkward for me. The timed button hitting thing on the other hand I didn't mind. I got a lot better at it and the sixaxxis stuff actually worked in places.

I loved the approach and story because it was compelling without being sci-fi or fantasy based (besides the ARI glasses). There needs to be more games like this, the closest thing I can think of is Max Payne. The final outcome was something very well polished and mature. I felt freedom, but no need to over explore this freedom (ala GTA) which only detracts from the story and lowers the maturity of the title when kids want to see how many innocent people they can kill. Regarding the world, things go on in the background that actually seem convincing. Cars drive to places, people are doing things outside their houses, walking down the footpath as you do the mission. Not like GTA where they're so obviously drones on rails, but realistically. Then there's the crowds! The amount of people in the crowds and the way they interact. Moving through the crowds is actually just as frustrating as it would be in real life. People can hold you up, and some paths make it easier to get around people that others. The nightclub is simply amazing when you compare it to the likes of say Mass Effect 2. It actually looks, feels and behaves like a nightclub.

Graphics are either top notch or kinda average. The faces in the loading screens are amazing, but in game faces not always so good. Things like clothing textures are usually very good especially when they have a shader applied. What really impressed me was the rain on the windows and the shiny floor shaders. Both where so very close to being real. The way the reflections on the floor where distorted was just spot on, better than anything I've seen in any PC title. Quite simply, the game is artistically marvellous. Something PC devs need to learn from.

I'm sure many people will critisize it for being an interactive movie, but that really didn't bother me one bit. I still felt like I was fully involved. If I didn't keep my reaction time up and accuracy right it altered the outcome of the story. Also knowing what questions to ask did matter.

This game is basically why I have a PS3. You just don't get games like this on PC anymore :(

FearMeAll
02-27-10, 07:09 AM
Good review. Now I want. I just play a game to be entertained. If this makes you entertained, mission accomplished.

XDanger
02-27-10, 07:36 AM
I have a PS3,This is basically why You just don't get games like this on PC anymore :(

fixe

Good review and sounds like a good game.

|MaguS|
02-27-10, 08:14 AM
That's exactly why I'm not buying it. There is absolutely no reason to not release a PC version. Fahrenheit was available for PC...
It's all money and stupid exclusive deals.

Yes because Sony should fund development of the game on PC...

|MaguS|
02-27-10, 04:43 PM
No but Sony and MS shouldn't make those exclusive deals in the first place. That takes the customer out but the money in the equation...

There is no deal... Sony funded the project. If it weren't for Sony this game might have never existed. This isn't like MS with GTA DLC where they gave 20 million for the exclusive and Take 2 still solely funded the development, Sony payed the development costs and is publishing the title.

Mr. Hunt
02-27-10, 04:51 PM
There is no deal... Sony funded the project. If it weren't for Sony this game might have never existed. This isn't like MS with GTA DLC where they gave 20 million for the exclusive and Take 2 still solely funded the development, Sony payed the development costs and is publishing the title.

Did they just fund it? I thought they actually bought Quantic Dream... maybe I was mistaken (probably).

BioHazZarD
02-27-10, 05:16 PM
Well not the best start for me, frooze on the crime scene in the demo baaah, i hope this wont happen more..

nrdstrm
02-27-10, 05:30 PM
Yes because Sony should fund development of the game on PC...

Why wouldn't they? They currently fund PC games (SOE)...

|MaguS|
02-27-10, 07:10 PM
Why wouldn't they? They currently fund PC games (SOE)...

SOE (MMO Developer) and SCEA (Console Developer) are two different organizations.

Viral
02-27-10, 08:41 PM
It is disapointing it's not coming to PC. I enjoyed Omikron: The Nomad Soul on PC and played around half of Farenheit, liked it but never finished it for some reason.

Thought I better also add my few technical gripes with the game.
1. Downloading a 226MB v1.01 patch the day after release before playing...
2. Stuttering, sometimes the game would pause for 1-5 seconds. Even the credits at the end jumped every 10 seconds or so.
3. Tearing, not as bad as in a fast paced FPS but still quite noticable to me, although the more I got into the game the less I noticed it, probably just me being a PC snob.
4. Sound dropping out - maybe a problem with my setup? But sometimes sound would drop out for 1-3 seconds as often as once every 10 seconds.
5. The game froze once requiring me to reset my PS3. I was downloading the special edition extra content in the background so possibly this was the cause of the problem. The content kept downloading in the background so I left it going until the hdd light stopped flashing.

ViN86
02-27-10, 08:56 PM
No but Sony and MS shouldn't make those exclusive deals in the first place. That takes the customer out but the money in the equation...

Damn them for wanting to create incentive to buy their consoles. :headexplode:

nutcrackr
02-27-10, 11:48 PM
I had a hard time with quick time events in indigo prophecy (Fahrenheit) so I'm not enjoying them much in this game but its not as bad as the holding thing. Like having to hold 5 different buttons at once, or jamming the one button over and over at high rate. The controls get in the way of the experience for me, more so than Fahrenheit I'd say.

jlippo
02-28-10, 01:58 AM
I had a hard time with quick time events in indigo prophecy (Fahrenheit) so I'm not enjoying them much in this game but its not as bad as the holding thing. Like having to hold 5 different buttons at once, or jamming the one button over and over at high rate. The controls get in the way of the experience for me, more so than Fahrenheit I'd say.
There is options where you can reduce the difficultu of button mashing.

HiCZoK4
02-28-10, 02:19 AM
I loved the interaction system in Fahrenheit. But I hated action events where I had to mash left and right arrow as fast as possible.

nutcrackr
02-28-10, 02:30 AM
There is options where you can reduce the difficultu of button mashing.
It was the first thing I did, and it hasn't helped much. I don't really know if its fair to complain about it. The whole gameplay revolves around the button mashing / QTE system.

I guess my beef is that I don't like the system in place, I'd much rather watch it and participate in the conversations / basic interactions.

sytaylor
02-28-10, 03:58 AM
Sony Exclusive?

TheANIMAL
02-28-10, 12:05 PM
I've heard the replay ability is supposed to be very good because the story has about a doezen different endings.

crainger
02-28-10, 01:06 PM
Yep, plus most scenes have different endings.

This has been on of the most highest selling games in AU. First time I ever went into a store to pre order only to find it sold out. which is ok, as my PS3 died a week before the game released.

HiCZoK4
02-28-10, 01:09 PM
Yep, plus most scenes have different endings.

This has been on of the most highest selling games in AU. First time I ever went into a store to pre order only to find it sold out. which is ok, as my PS3 died a week before the game released.

Wooow. It would be a stab in the back having a game delivered day Your PS3 died:headexplode:

Viral
02-28-10, 06:24 PM
As said I really don't mind the Quick Time Events. I've always been pretty retarded with those sorts of things since I never expect them to come up, but in this game you soon learn to be ready ;) I also have a huge habbit of getting L1 mixed up with R1 but I'm perfectly fine with L2. Strange.

I stuck it out on hard (default) and in the end liked the QTE's and found them very rewarding when I did a whole action sequence perfectly.

Also, the sixaxis stuff works... from barging people out of the way when running past them, hitting someone with an object to lifting things or even going through the ARI interface it actually makes you feel a connection with the movement. Best use of sixaxis I've seen that's for sure. OTOH shaking was still somewhat lame, I only liked the quick movements in one direction.

BioHazZarD
03-01-10, 04:02 AM
Game is fun, lots of scenes im gonna have to replay and try another way just to see what happens and if u care for trophys u get gold if u see all 4 endings so it sure has replay value.

HiCZoK4
03-01-10, 04:14 AM
It is disapointing it's not coming to PC. I enjoyed Omikron: The Nomad Soul on PC and played around half of Farenheit, liked it but never finished it for some reason.

Thought I better also add my few technical gripes with the game.
1. Downloading a 226MB v1.01 patch the day after release before playing...
2. Stuttering, sometimes the game would pause for 1-5 seconds. Even the credits at the end jumped every 10 seconds or so.
3. Tearing, not as bad as in a fast paced FPS but still quite noticable to me, although the more I got into the game the less I noticed it, probably just me being a PC snob.
4. Sound dropping out - maybe a problem with my setup? But sometimes sound would drop out for 1-3 seconds as often as once every 10 seconds.
5. The game froze once requiring me to reset my PS3. I was downloading the special edition extra content in the background so possibly this was the cause of the problem. The content kept downloading in the background so I left it going until the hdd light stopped flashing.

omikron was their game?! I freaking loved it! As aslso fahrenheit. Would love to play this baby

zarlaan
03-02-10, 01:04 AM
The game was very good. The storyline was very well written I thought and played out very well. Any future games with this play style certainly have a high benchmark to go by.

Only technical issue was very early on my PS3 froze causing the sound to hiss over the stereo very loud. After that there were no more issues. Screen tearing was only seen really in once chapter at the dance club.

Not sure how much I'd actually replay the game in the future... perhaps a few of the more fun chapters to kill time, but that's about it. It definitely makes for one hell of a rental game.

The only annoying thing about the game was the way everybody pronounced "origami".

P.S. Madison is one hot chick. Maybe even better than Lora Croft!

Viral
03-02-10, 04:17 AM
Not everyone murdered the pronounciation of oragami. I even think some characters alternated how they said it :headexplode:

Oar-a-gair-me lol

LurkerLito
03-04-10, 12:57 PM
Finished this game a couple of times by redoing the last chapter and I have to say the story was interesting and I like the multiple endings that can happen. It does play very much like an 3D adventure game, in the sense that you have control about what you are looking for or interacting with, but all the actions especially story affecting ones are pretty much predetermined QTEs. If you liked the old Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Last crusade/fate of atlantis, Space Quest, King's Quest, like games you will probably like this game. Though if you dislike QTEs it can be a toss up. The QTEs are not difficult but I still find them annoying. Some require mashing a button/shaking the controller with multiple buttons held down.

Talking about multiple endings now so spoilers ahead :

I finished where everyone survived and one or two people died at the end and where the killer survived and where the killer also died and my favorite is the one where the killer lives at the end cause the "A Mother's revenge" epilogue I felt more appropriate than the Grave sequence of her spitting on the grave.

I also prefer the end where Ethan dies because it sets up Madison for a possible sequel while the everyone lives happily ever after ending was not as satisfying and ignores what happened to the Sean's real mom. I just couldn't buy the fact that Sean would go live with Madison and Ethan without having a serious custody fight with the Ethan's first wife.

Jaden's endings living and dead were both weird, I didn't really like either. And the whole news cast about almost solving the case himself and him being a hero was a bit much. I should let him take the drugs earlier so he could have ODed in the stall :). That weird Virtual world ending thing was just terrible.

After seeing all that I am unsure if it is worth playing again to see how some earlier events would affect the endings. For this kind of game I am not liking that I can't copy the save games. I was going to make a copy to a USB stick then play around from certain spots while saving, but it won't let me. That is screwed up IMO, if they want to lock the saves from being distributed lock it to the user account not a specific machine. That kind of kills the replay value for me cause I really don't feel like starting from the beginning to save changes. It's a good game I wouldn't call it ground breaking more of an evolution to the Adventure game genre.