PDA

View Full Version : Valve will finally publish games for PS3

Albo
02-28-10, 07:17 PM
This is great news.. :)
http://play.tm/news/29254/valve-admits-underestimating-ps3/

newparad1gm
03-01-10, 09:12 AM
I'd rather not see them divert resources to working on PS3 ports when we haven't even seen anything about Half-Life 2: Episode 3 yet. They should remain a PC/360 developer. Just need to find a better subcontractor to do the PS3 ports instead of the people they had do the PS3 port of the Orange Box.

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 09:16 AM
I'm sure thats why Episode 3 is taking so long, they probably plan to release it on all 3 platforms.

They can't ignore the platform anymore.

Redeemed
03-01-10, 11:28 AM
Well I wish they would. They're one of the few developers with any real focus on the PC. I'm afraid that might change once they taste the wonderful profit that the consoles can be. :o :p

Lyme
03-01-10, 11:40 AM
This post on the same site sums up the situation better http://play.tm/news/29141/valve-have-a-change-of-heart-over-ps3/

Which doesn't mean that Valve will be publishing for the ps3 anytime soon, or vice versa.

NarcissistZero
03-01-10, 12:11 PM
Well I wish they would. They're one of the few developers with any real focus on the PC. I'm afraid that might change once they taste the wonderful profit that the consoles can be. :o :p

They have a very active interest in PC gaming being strong because of Steam.

I personally am kind of surprised they don't release console versions a few months later to boost PC sales and interest.

Lyme
03-01-10, 07:54 PM

I personally am kind of surprised they don't release console versions a few months later to boost PC sales and interest.

They do release on the console, just the 360. The problem which they have stated before is that the PS3 is a complex beast, and after their first outsourcing of a port have come to the conclusion that it is better to do it right or not at all.

NarcissistZero
03-02-10, 07:56 AM
They do release on the console, just the 360. The problem which they have stated before is that the PS3 is a complex beast, and after their first outsourcing of a port have come to the conclusion that it is better to do it right or not at all.

Yeah... I know. How was that a response to me?

Lyme
03-02-10, 09:22 AM
Yeah... I know. How was that a response to me?

Does that help any?

NarcissistZero
03-02-10, 09:43 AM
Does that help any?

No.

I was saying they should prioritize the PC, release console versions later, to boost PC sales and thus their Steam revenue. I am saying because they are so invested in the PC I am surprised they do not do this.

You then told me they release 360 games and are planning to support they PS3 when they have the ability.

I know that, that is not related.

Redeemed
03-02-10, 11:19 AM

Unless they are trying to slowly migrate away from the PC and more towards consoles where all the money is.

I guess I might be a little paranoid about there not being a lot of support for PCs, as that's the only thing I game on. Getting a console would mean getting a tv- and I just don't have money for that. Don't really watch tv shows, and movies I just watch on my computer- use my computer for all my digital entertainment needs.

NarcissistZero
03-02-10, 12:45 PM
Unless they are trying to slowly migrate away from the PC and more towards consoles where all the money is.

I guess I might be a little paranoid about there not being a lot of support for PCs, as that's the only thing I game on. Getting a console would mean getting a tv- and I just don't have money for that. Don't really watch tv shows, and movies I just watch on my computer- use my computer for all my digital entertainment needs.

I use my computer for everything as well, though I have a decent HDTV to watch stuff on with the woman.

I would not worry about Valve leaving the PC, Steam becomes more and more defacto PC gaming as the years roll on, factor in possible anti-piracy measures in the future and console gaming getting more and more mainstreamed and controlled by large publishers and PC gaming with its indies and smaller companies could boom, especially on Steam.

Also, as someone showed me the other day, if you look at EA and Ubisoft's financial records they make a ton of money from the PC even with piracy, something like 200 million per quarter. No one wants to stop getting that, and cutting down piracy could seriously boost that number.

crainger
03-03-10, 02:22 PM
I'm a PC gamer. I find everything threatening. I hate consoles. Ima go download a new game from piratebay, that'll teach those consoles.

Albo
03-07-10, 03:49 PM
So.. from the information out so far, Portal 2 will not be coming to PS3..
Wow.. way to go Gabe.

Lyme
03-07-10, 06:46 PM
So.. from the information out so far, Portal 2 will not be coming to PS3..
Wow.. way to go Gabe.

Boo hoo..

crainger
03-08-10, 12:39 AM
It will, might be a little later. The first Orange Box made it to PS3. Be patient or buy PC.