PDA

View Full Version : Almost all Ubisoft titles to use Internet-based DRM

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 03:06 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/01/splinter-cell-conviction-future-ubisoft-pc-games-to-use-intern/

Softpedia reports that an Ubi rep (speaking with PC Gamer) has confirmed Splinter Cell: Conviction, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, and the recently announced Ghost Recon: Future Soldier to employ the DRM tools. The publisher also specifically pointed out that different titles handle the loss of data differently -- for instance, AC2 depends on checkpoints and The Settlers 7 saves wherever you last were -- though PC Gamer supposedly pressed for an answer to the question on all our minds: Will every PC game from Ubisoft in the future have this DRM?

Cryptically, the publisher replied, "It's hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this but most will."

Sounds like they trust this DRM alot, lets hope it works out for them. Less piracy on their major releases might mean better support for the platform.

NarcissistZero
03-01-10, 03:11 PM
God I hope this works.

And if it doesn't, God I hope they stop using it.

six_storm
03-01-10, 03:18 PM
Won't be buying any of those games so I'm not concerned.

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 03:20 PM
I don't know... I love the Ghost Recon series and if the new one offered the same then I am really interested in it.

NarcissistZero
03-01-10, 03:27 PM
If I was really outraged I could see skipping most of those, but there is no way in hell I am not playing Splinter Cell Conviction. It could have an Ubisoft rep inside the package who watches you play for all I care.

That said I am not outraged and will buy most of these, so whatever.

IF it works.

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 03:52 PM
Yeah I'm curious to see how that'll turn out without Grin.

Im thankful that it will be developed without Grin. Such a subpar developer that got more praise then they deserved.

Fotis
03-01-10, 04:03 PM
The problem with DRM tools is that they mostly hurt people who actually buy the game rather than the (lee).

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 04:03 PM
The problem with DRM tools is that they mostly hurt people who actually buy the game rather than the (lee).

No DRM has ever affected me.

breathemetal
03-01-10, 04:07 PM
Pirates will always find a way around any DRM scheme, so idk why they keep pushing out all these new ones. There WILL be someone out there that WILL crack it, upload it, and pirates will continue to enjoy games no matter what.

All these new DRMs just hurt the "legit" gamers more than the pirates.

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 04:10 PM
Pirates will always find a way around any DRM scheme, so idk why they keep pushing out all these new ones. There WILL be someone out there that WILL crack it, upload it, and pirates will continue to enjoy games no matter what.

Rather give them a fight then just let them have their way with the game without a struggle. Not like they would go "oh no DRM, I guess I should buy it!"

NarcissistZero
03-01-10, 04:22 PM

Companies will keep trying... no one likes giving stuff away for free.

Finding a decent DRM system that actually stops piracy and is not too horrible is in the best interests of everyone.

NarcissistZero
03-01-10, 04:23 PM
Good for you.

But I think we'll just see a pretty straight forward port this time. The previous GRAW PC version were quite different compared to the 3rd persons console junk.

The consoles versions were about 100 times better, actually.

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 04:24 PM
Good for you.

But I think we'll just see a pretty straight forward port this time. The previous GRAW PC version were quite different compared to the 3rd persons console junk.

So 3rd Person = Junk? Personally I liked the console versions alot, I did like the PC version but the engine was horrible and other then the first GRAW for the PC they haven't done anything else above budget title level.

EciDemon
03-01-10, 04:29 PM
Rather give them a fight then just let them have their way with the game without a struggle. Not like they would go "oh no DRM, I guess I should buy it!"

that's the thing tho, average joe who buys his games will continue to buy his games just as pirates will continue to pirate theirs.

publishers are not winning over any hearts by employing intrusive Drm's.

This brings me back to when i bought Lost planet for pc.
At the time I had no connection at home so i figured i'd go out and buy a game I could enjoy in single play. I didn't look close enough on the box to notice the steam requirement.

Turns out, the game would not install anything unless i had steam so I had to carry my computer over to a friend to have it installed, else i could have just brought a usb memory stick. I figured i'd put steam in offline mode and play. Good thing i tried it before i went home again as it turned out it didn't work offline (was later fixed with a patch)

So i had no choice then to download a crack to play my game.
That's the kinda **** you don't want to deal with when you go down to the game store and pickup a hard copy of a game. Now it doesn't really matter anymore but I was pretty pissed at the time

nekrosoft13
03-01-10, 04:34 PM

true,

jcossin
03-01-10, 04:35 PM
I totally agree.

I bought Risen, took him home and installed it only to have it keep complaining that I didn't have the original DVD in the drive, BUT I DID!

So I had to venture over to gamecopyworld.com and grab a crack to play the game I bought legitimately. Lame!!

|MaguS|
03-01-10, 04:50 PM
that's the thing tho, average joe who buys his games will continue to buy his games just as pirates will continue to pirate theirs.

publishers are not winning over any hearts by employing intrusive Drm's.

This brings me back to when i bought Lost planet for pc.
At the time I had no connection at home so i figured i'd go out and buy a game I could enjoy in single play. I didn't look close enough on the box to notice the steam requirement.

Turns out, the game would not install anything unless i had steam so I had to carry my computer over to a friend to have it installed, else i could have just brought a usb memory stick. I figured i'd put steam in offline mode and play. Good thing i tried it before i went home again as it turned out it didn't work offline (was later fixed with a patch)

So i had no choice then to download a crack to play my game.
That's the kinda **** you don't want to deal with when you go down to the game store and pickup a hard copy of a game. Now it doesn't really matter anymore but I was pretty pissed at the time

So you bought a game before reading the system requirements? Your fault, not the developers/publishers. The box clearly stated that an Internet connection was required.

EciDemon
03-01-10, 05:13 PM
So you bought a game before reading the system requirements? Your fault, not the developers/publishers. The box clearly stated that an Internet connection was required.

it's actually in pretty small print. But yeah, it was my fault for not looking carefully enough. Then again i didn't expect it either so it wasn't something i was looking out for at the time. I just wanted to play a cool game after trying it on the 360 at a friends place.

It's just a bit of a bad approach I think.
Don't get me wrong tho, I do like steam and have quite a few games there. But if i buy a game on disc, imo it should be playable as is.

The idea of a redeemable code for some dlc in the box is a much better idea imo. If you buy your stuff you get something pirates don't so it's a way to actually reward your customers for their loyalty

K007
03-02-10, 02:20 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/01/splinter-cell-conviction-future-ubisoft-pc-games-to-use-intern/

Sounds like they trust this DRM alot, lets hope it works out for them. Less piracy on their major releases might mean better support for the platform.

The only thing i see good about this is that "Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands" is going to be on PC !!! WOOOT lol

NarcissistZero
03-02-10, 08:57 AM
Here is a great blog post from an indie developer on the Ubi DRM: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/02/awful-anti-pirate-system-that-will.html. His basic arguement is that this could work, this could delay piracy for months, and he explains why.

Read all the way to the bottom, the final paragraphs are some of the most interesting.

NarcissistZero
03-02-10, 01:20 PM
In this case, yes. 3rd person with or without a cover system doesn't work for tactical shooters.

But see... GRAW proves you wrong.

|MaguS|
03-02-10, 01:21 PM
GRAWs were not like the originals at all. Oh and if you ever played any of the originals online then you would know that most people played them in the 3rd person due to being able to see your enviroment better.

NarcissistZero
03-02-10, 03:04 PM
I don't like the GRAW games that much, because they're not like the originals.

I've never understood why that matters. A good game is a good game.

Fotis
03-02-10, 03:10 PM

Remember Starforce?

|MaguS|
03-02-10, 03:23 PM
Remember Starforce?

Yup, never had any issue with it.