PDA

View Full Version : First benchmarks of GTX 470

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Sowk
03-05-10, 02:51 AM
Shadow001 - are you running Crossfire ati 5970's?

That may be my next purchase.

Toss3
03-05-10, 07:48 AM
And they probably benched with v1.1 which runs much smoother.

Not to mention that Cat 10.3 should bring a significant performance increase in tesselation for the 5000-series.

HYBRID
03-05-10, 09:04 AM
Excellent Numbers. So GTX480 sits betwen HD5870 and HD5870 X2 and considering what joke is Crossfire and CCC crapola, Nvidia owns them.

Can't wait to replace this garbage i currently own.

Seriously dude this post is priceless.

bfar
03-05-10, 09:06 AM
Price/performace isn's always as bad as it looks with these launch cards - so long as they're damn fast.

I got both the 8800gtx and gtx280 at launch, and both lasted a good two years. Both cards were big upgrades (particularly the 8800gtx, that was massive!) That gtx480 card really needs to be quite a bit quicker than it's 5870 counterpart to justify anything near $600/600. It's approaching madman money, frankly.

shadow001
03-05-10, 12:14 PM
Shadow001 - are you running Crossfire ati 5970's?

That may be my next purchase.

Yup,have been for over 3 months now.....Took a chance really and figured that with this much graphics hardware added up(4 GPU's afterall),i'd not only have to benchmark at extremely high settings,but competitors products would also need to go to the Multi-GPU route to match or beat the overall perforance....It just depends on how many would be needed basically.

Some here were probably expecting that a single GTX480 would match or beat an HD5970 card based on all the hype with fermi having 3 billion transistors,and being a new architecture,and the benchmark results being kept a secret not to warn ATI of the impending armageddon that is Fermi.

Looks like reality is starting to kick in with the performance numbers shown so far,even when using a benchmark that benefits Fermi's strong points,and presented in that Nvidia video no less,and i'm not that shabby in that department to say the least.

shadow001
03-05-10, 12:16 PM
And they probably benched with v1.1 which runs much smoother.

There's an update for the Heaven demo?.....Can i patch my current build or do i have to re-download the whole thing?

Vardant
03-05-10, 12:28 PM
It hasn't been released yet.

Iruwen
03-05-10, 01:10 PM
Btw., the benchmarks on the first page of this thread (from here (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Nvidias-Fermi-Leistung-der-GeForce-GTX-470-enthuellt-946411.html)) have been withdrawn in the meantime. They were assembled from Nvidia information and external sources, that's probably the reason why they match the numbers from China. Heise fail, it's usually considered reliable :\

shadow001
03-05-10, 01:14 PM
More information regarding the GTX480 cards this time:

http://vr-zone.com/forums/573003/some-more-details-about-gtx-4x0-cards.html

The GTX 480 performance is round abot 5 to 10 percent higher than the HD 5870, is (really) special cases (lot of Tessellation, less texture and shader-effects) up to 40 or 50 percent higher.
The TDP of the 480 is between 250 and 290 watts (differ in who you ask), 470 probably between 180 and 200 Watts.
The 470 is 9.5 inches long, the 480 10.5 inches.
At the beginning round about 5,000 cards going to reach the market, later up to 10,000 - not more. Anytime!

So it seems only on heavy tesselated situations is where Fermi Shines best,with a 5~10% performance lead over the HD5870 cards in shader/texturing bound scenarios,with the power use being 250 to 290 watts and no more than 15000 of these cards will ever reach the market supposedly.

Even if you wanted one?....Good luck on finding it.

Looks like charlie was right on all counts afterall.

Iruwen
03-05-10, 01:23 PM
If this was true it may also simply mean that the GTX 485 will be out faster than expected.

Iruwen
03-05-10, 01:32 PM
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6297/1003051745911cfb661aaec.jpg

shadow001
03-05-10, 01:45 PM
If this was true it may also simply mean that the GTX 485 will be out faster than expected.

We'll see i guess....

What it does suggest though is that if the GTX480 really is only 5~10% faster on average in games,then ATI simply releases a refesh version of the HD5870 running at higher clocks....The current versions as it is can already run at over 900 Mhz core quite easily.

preacher35
03-05-10, 01:52 PM
I'm not surprised by the less than stellar numbers regarding the GTX470. It's like I said on another thread, if Nvidia's numbers stomped the crap out of ATI, we would have heard about them in January. In marketing, it is well known that Dec through Feb are the biggest retail money making months of the year (due to Christmas and tax returns). Nvidia has lost serious market share to ATI over the past three months. Die hard Nvidia enthusiasts, such as myself have actually considered purchasing an ATI product. I have NEVER owned nor considered one before.... and if I'm thinking about it, then those entry level geeks would have no problem switching brands. If Nvidia had incredible numbers to release, they would have already done it to prevent any further market share loss to their company as well as expansion and recognition of the ATI/AMD brand. However, in the current economic climate, no question, I am taking a hard look at the 5870. Like I've said before, if Nvidia really has the goods, then I will eat crow and recommend that Nvidia terminate their entire marketing department.

lee63
03-05-10, 01:52 PM
Then the pricing for a 480 should be around 399 to 449....right ??? if those #'s are correct.

hell_of_doom227
03-05-10, 02:03 PM
GTX480 is going to be a great buy. The card is not slower but faster then HD5870, secondly it all comes to gaming experience which sucks with ATI cards. I have to repeat that again, but that is the truth.

SLI of two GTX480 is going to kick ass. Crossfire -> sucks, might as well have single card.

shadow001
03-05-10, 02:16 PM
Then the pricing for a 480 should be around 399 to 449....right ??? if those #'s are correct.

We'll see what they do if those numbers are accurate,and in any case if they really intend on only making 15 000 cards in total on this first generation of fermi,it doesn't really have a big effect on their bottom line if they only sell at prices to break even with the actual production cost of each card,as the volumes produced are low anyhow,so they wouldn't be making a lot of money even if it sold at a healthy profit margin.

Put it this way,If nvidia sold the 15 000 cards with a 100$ profit margin on each one,that comes to 1.5 million net profit,which sounds like a lot a first,until you realise that the company as a whole,makes 300 million net profit every quarter on average,(3 month period),for all it's operations combined....That 1.5 million amounts to a drop inn the bucket basically.

The other aspect is that Hell_of_Doom will buy anything Nvidia makes,regardless of how it performs....;):p

hell_of_doom227
03-05-10, 02:46 PM
We'll see what they do if those numbers are accurate,and in any case if they really intend on only making 15 000 cards in total on this first generation of fermi,it doesn't really have a big effect on their bottom line if they only sell at prices to break even with the actual production cost of each card,as the volumes produced are low anyhow,so they wouldn't be making a lot of money even if it sold at a healthy profit margin.

Put it this way,If nvidia sold the 15 000 cards with a 100$ profit margin on each one,that comes to 1.5 million net profit,which sounds like a lot a first,until you realise that the company as a whole,makes 300 million net profit every quarter on average,(3 month period),for all it's operations combined....That 1.5 million amounts to a drop inn the bucket basically.

The other aspect is that Hell_of_Doom will buy anything Nvidia makes,regardless of how it performs....;):p

Not really. I bought two of HD5870 hoping that ATI/AMD turned things around with CCC and drivers in general. These cards don't perform as i expected and as Customer i am disappointed. Again they will find another use, like streaming movies for my other computer and one of them goes to bro who got old 8800GT. Nvidia never failed me except with 5000 series.

shadow001
03-05-10, 03:24 PM
Not really. I bought two of HD5870 hoping that ATI/AMD turned things around with CCC and drivers in general. These cards don't perform as i expected and as Customer i am disappointed. Again they will find another use, like streaming movies for my other computer and one of them goes to bro who got old 8800GT. Nvidia never failed me except with 5000 series.

I get the impression that you got them simply because they still are the fastest cards on the market,and you got fed up of waiting for Fermi to be released,at least from all your replies made so far.

Let's see if Fermi drivers are "Perfect" right of the bat...;)

Maverick123w
03-05-10, 04:05 PM

Just going by memory , so I could be wrong, but you seemed to like the 5000 series quite a bit at the beginning. It seems the closer we get to the launch of fermi the less pleased you are with ATI.

Iruwen
03-05-10, 05:01 PM
In marketing, it is well known that Dec through Feb are the biggest retail money making months of the year (due to Christmas and tax returns). Nvidia has lost serious market share to ATI over the past three months.

Actually they didn't, and they couldn't care less:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/03/nvidia-results-analyzed/
(this is probably the first and laste time I'll ever quote semiaccurate...)

Sazar
03-05-10, 05:24 PM
Excellent Numbers. So GTX480 sits betwen HD5870 and HD5870 X2 and considering what joke is Crossfire and CCC crapola, Nvidia owns them.

Can't wait to replace this garbage i currently own.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/ratstomper/troll-poster.jpg

lee63
03-05-10, 05:45 PM
Yeah.... that's enough Doom, we all know how much you dislike your cards. There's no reason to troll every thread in your childish manor....

maybe this should have been a PM but I don't think I'm the only one sick of you right now. So it ends NOW..next time it will get you a couple of weeks off.

kaptkarl
03-05-10, 10:48 PM
Yeah.... that's enough Doom, we all know how much you dislike your cards. There's no reason to troll every thread in your childish manor....

maybe this should have been a PM but I don't think I'm the only one sick of you right now. So it ends NOW..next time it will get you a couple of weeks off.

+1 - make it more than a couple of weeks....how 'bout a couple of months. This guys' posts are pointless and don't add anything informative to the topics at hand.

PLEASE go away DOOM.......

Kapt

Redeemed
03-05-10, 10:52 PM
+1 - make it more than a couple of weeks....how 'bout a couple of months. This guys' posts are pointless and don't add anything informative to the topics at hand.

PLEASE go away DOOM.......

Kapt

Ignore list- use it instead of making such requests. ;)

Xion X2
03-05-10, 11:00 PM
http://vr-zone.com/forums/573003/some-more-details-about-gtx-4x0-cards.html

The GTX 480 performance is round abot 5 to 10 percent higher than the HD 5870...

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8198/hotairballoon.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hotairballoon.jpg)