PDA

View Full Version : Growing animosity against gamepad support in PC games

Pages : [1] 2

ragejg
03-05-10, 01:11 AM
Like any PC gamer, I don't like bad ports. I prefer that the developer actually craft a game highlighting the advantages of the platform.

To me, one of the advantages is choice, and I feel that one of our choices is in danger. Gamepad Support.

Yes, I believe that most games in most situations work better with keyboard and mouse, but since the PC is a modular platform, the choice IMO should be there in big-studio games to use a controller such as a 360 pad.

I almost got yelled out of the EA forums recently trying to defend my right to choice by people calling themselves "true gamers" saying "why would anyone want to use a controller for a PC game?"

As HTPC sales rise, so will gamepad sales, and so will the percentage of PC games being played on a TV. With a couple exceptions, I prefer using my 360 pad with my media PC for most games... Far Cry 2, Lost Planet, Gears of War, Bioshock, Portal, Dark Void, Halo 2... I have a great experience on my couch with those games. And for what it's worth, playing Halo 2 MP with mouse/keyboard users, I can keep up with them just fine!!

With the recent exclusion of 360 pad support in games like Bioshock 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the rash reaction of mouse/keyboard users who are beginning to sound rashly elitist, I fear that gamepad support could end up being mothballed.

I support choice and modularity in PC gaming. What do you think?

mojoman0
03-05-10, 01:17 AM
choice is nice, I feel devs are afraid at upsetting balance in games based on single player. If they craft the experience around one input device, it becomes easier to make user interface decisions as well as how difficult to make the ai. There is always xpadder if you want custom controller support in any game

Armed_Baboon
03-05-10, 01:17 AM
I never use a controller for a fps, so as long as racing games support a controller I don't care.

Mr. Hunt
03-05-10, 01:21 AM
I am mostly a console gamer, but when I play games on PC, I want to play it on KB/M. **** controllers when I am playing on the PC. I don't get why people cry after years and years of "KEYBOARD AND MOUSE PWNZ ERRTHYNG GAIS!".

mojoman0
03-05-10, 01:54 AM
Keyboard def for FPS but I enjoy playing games like Tomb Raider and Batman and other console ports with a controller. I had forgotten that they vibrate and I like having that feedback. I also like being able to lean back and cruise while playing games like that.

Armed_Baboon
03-05-10, 02:44 AM
Keyboard def for FPS but I enjoy playing games like Tomb Raider and Batman and other console ports with a controller. I had forgotten that they vibrate and I like having that feedback. I also like being able to lean back and cruise while playing games like that.

if it's vibration you want you could alwas try this: http://www.dansdata.com/ifeel.htm

NarcissistZero
03-05-10, 05:18 AM
I agree that they should support the controller, but only in genres it makes sense for. I don't see a need to have controller support in an FPS any more than an RTS, why offer an inferior method of control and spend time and money implementing and optimizing it? Spend more money on perfecting the mouse controls for genres where the mouse is clearly the optimum control method.

If you want to sit on the couch, get a lap pad with a wireless KBM setup.

mailman2
03-05-10, 07:33 AM
I never use a controller for a fps, so as long as racing games support a controller I don't care.

+1

General Lee
03-05-10, 08:08 AM
Having a choice is good...but gamepads are just teh ghey! :D

Just kidding. I haven't used a gamepad since I stopped playing consoles in favor of PC games. Even if I play an emulated console game, like on Nestopia or something, I still using the keyboard. I use WASD for movement, and the left and right buttons for A & B. :lol:

ragejg
03-05-10, 08:39 AM
I'm tellin ya, if some of you guys got to use an HTPC with good gaming capability, you'd want to have the choice of using a gamepad.

Crow_Nest
03-05-10, 09:17 AM
There are some games that will always play better with gamepads rather than keyboards. Racing and flight sims are such. And besides, not everyone owns a steering wheel or joystick to play these games. On top of that, consoles lack decently priced and performing accessories like steering wheels and joysticks to play such games on them.

Nitz Walsh
03-05-10, 09:50 AM
Completely agreed with the OP. The PC's strength is its versatility, if I want to sit at my desk and play with mouse & keyboard I'll do it, but I also love the option to sit back in front of a big HDTV and play with a controller.

Xpadder isn't really a substitute for native controller support. You don't get any auto-aim assistance, no situation force feedback, no on-screen buttons.

NarcissistZero
03-05-10, 09:58 AM
I'm tellin ya, if some of you guys got to use an HTPC with good gaming capability, you'd want to have the choice of using a gamepad.

I have a damn nice HT system with a 50" 1080p TV, but sitting 10 feet away from it makes it about the same size as my 24" monitor from 2 feet away, honestly.

And as I said, get a lap pad and some wireless KBM dude... there are a thousand pics online of how to make the setup perfect.

nekrosoft13
03-05-10, 10:40 AM
i only use gamepad for racing, sports, fighting and some platform games.

playing a FPS with a gamepad is like trying to eat a soup with a fork, it is possible, but its a dumb idea.

ragejg
03-05-10, 11:12 AM
playing a FPS with a gamepad is like trying to eat a soup with a fork, it is possible, but its a dumb idea.

That sort of mindset against it is a sweeping generalization. If a controller for an FPS was really that bad, there wouldn't be SO MANY FPSs for consoles, and support for gamepads in PC FPSs wouldn't exist at all.

For what it's worth I do just fine in Bioshock, Far Cry 2, Halo, Mirror's Edge & UT3 with the 360 pad. Even online. I pwn plenty of keyboard/mouse kids. :p

Ryeyoo
03-05-10, 11:45 AM
I rarely play first person shooters, and I use a gamepad frequently for pc. Yes, games for pc like bioshock I do actually prefer a keyboard. But I like playing games on my tv more. It's just more practical to have a pad and tv setup. I was pretty happy when microsoft's games for windows thing was underway because it meant a standardized pc controller. Made things easier and I decided to hook up the pc to the tv as well. This has been a pretty practical idea, until more recently.

It's been pretty annoying that the big releases lately have had no gamepad support when the GUIs were already made for the 360. It's the same gamepad, how hard is it just leave that there as an option. It's quite a backwards thing to do, I hope it doesn't become a trend.

CaptNKILL
03-05-10, 11:51 AM
Every game should have GOOD support for gamepads and mouse\keyboard.

That's how its always been on PC.

Without flexibility the platform loses its appeal quickly.

NarcissistZero
03-05-10, 11:58 AM
Every game should have GOOD support for gamepads and mouse\keyboard.

That's how its always been on PC.

Not really... supporting pads for FPS at all has been a recent thing, as far as I know. That's why it was funny when people flipped out about Bioshock 2 not supporting them, since it has been so rare in the medium.

DennisK4
03-05-10, 12:26 PM
Gamepads are almost essential for some games - even on PC.

I am currently playing Assassins Creed 2 on the PC and I honestly can't imagine playing it with K+M

frenchy2k1
03-05-10, 12:32 PM
I guess I'm all for flexibility and choice, but I personnally dont use much pads on the PC. I even have an adapter for PS2 gamepads that I've used some for platformers and flight sims, but it's been a while.

I doubt pads will ever go away, even on PC. Microsoft makes the 360 pads directly usable on any GfWLive game normally (this is a requirement), but lots of FPS on PC will be designed for the precision of the mouse (no auto aim and fast reactions). Otherwise, good pad drivers are your friends. They can usually emulate key strokes anyway, so support is automatic (except for analog pads...).

NarcissistZero
03-05-10, 01:11 PM
Gamepads are almost essential for some games - even on PC.

I am currently playing Assassins Creed 2 on the PC and I honestly can't imagine playing it with K+M

Very true (though I liked AC1 with a mouse). There are a ton of games I need a pad for.

MowTin
03-06-10, 01:28 PM
I don't see a need to have controller support in an FPS any more than an RTS, why offer an inferior method of control and spend time and money implementing and optimizing it?

It's not entirely inferior. Yes aiming is quicker and more precise with M&K but walking/running is much better with a controller. With a controller you get analog walk/run. Your walks in the virtual world are natural looking. With M&K you're often always running and it doesn't look natural.

As many have mentioned it's also much more comfortable for reclining on a couch.

360 controller support is one of the best things about Games for Windows.

NarcissistZero
03-06-10, 02:21 PM
It's not entirely inferior. Yes aiming is quicker and more precise with M&K but walking/running is much better with a controller. With a controller you get analog walk/run. Your walks in the virtual world are natural looking. With M&K you're often always running and it doesn't look natural.

As many have mentioned it's also much more comfortable for reclining on a couch.

360 controller support is one of the best things about Games for Windows.

I don't think analog walking has ever been that essential, and the vast majority of FPS games have little in the way of speed increase/decrease with analog. Most of them use a sprint button.

And a good lap pad in the right place with a wireless KBM is just as comfortable.

crainger
03-06-10, 02:37 PM
Not really... supporting pads for FPS at all has been a recent thing, as far as I know. That's why it was funny when people flipped out about Bioshock 2 not supporting them, since it has been so rare in the medium.

False. FPSes before mouse look all supported game pads and even joystick. It was only when mouse look became standard that gamepad/joystick support died down.

Remember guys. Gamepads have been used on PC since well, forever. I can remember having a gamepad for my PC since the early nineties.

NarcissistZero
03-06-10, 02:44 PM
False. FPSes before mouse look all supported game pads and even joystick. It was only when mouse look became standard that gamepad/joystick support died down.

Remember guys. Gamepads have been used on PC since well, forever. I can remember having a gamepad for my PC since the early nineties.

Well in those days FPS was a 2D game, that is hardly what I was speaking about.

You said it right, when mouse look came around joystick support died. Why? Because mouse is better. Huzzah.

Now it is back a bit, because of the popularity of console FPS, but still I would not consider it a standard feature.

And yes, gamepads have been on PC forever, and I love my Xbox PC pad, I use it often. Just not for FPS. That's silly.