PDA

View Full Version : Is this rig worth purchasing?

capdjq
03-05-10, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone. Long time member and lurker but rarely posted.

Anyway my next door neighbor built this unit two months ago and is offering to sell at $1000 US.

Is the specs worth the purchase?

He has all the boxes and receipts.

i7 860 2.8Ghz (latest model of i7 series with integrated northbridge and memory controller)
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU heatsink
GA-P55A-UD3 mobo (with USB 3.0 & SATA 3.0 on-board accelerator)
G-skills 2GX2 DDR3 1600Mhz ripjaws
EVGA lifetime warranty FTW GTX 285
Seasonic S12 Energy plus
Coolermaster CM 690 case
DVD-RW dual-layer burner
Seagate 500GB 16mb cache Hard Drive

Thanks for any advice. :)

CaptNKILL
03-05-10, 12:03 PM
That's not bad at all for $1000. Does it come with Windows or any peripherals?

If you don't build systems yourself that'd be a good buy. If you do build systems yourself you could probably do just as good for a little less money.

Also, the GTX 480 and 470 will be out in a few weeks. I'd be hesitant to pay for a high end graphics card right now.

Revs
03-05-10, 12:07 PM
Sound's a lot to me, really. It's not that much less that new prices. If he has the receipts, how much did he pay for it all??

capdjq
03-05-10, 12:21 PM
He paid, about $1600 Canadian after tax. Remember any unit I purchase has a 12% tax in Canada. So I'm saving 12% starting off.

I offered $800 CDN.

He has a OS. Windows 7 Ultimate but I think its illegal. Anyway I will be wiping the HD and installing my Windows XP. Personally I cannot get used to Windows 7.

musman
03-05-10, 12:28 PM
Price is not too bad, it's a nice system. If you know how to build a system I would take some time and find out what you can put together for $1000. Like CaptNKILL said, now probably is not the best time to buy a graphics card with the new GTX cards coming out. When they come out the GTX-285's will probably drop in price (not too sure about that).

If you don't know how to build a system now is a good time to start. I built my first system (see sig) about 9 months ago. I picked all the parts out carefully and took my time. The people on this site were/are very helpful and friendly to noobs like me. They really helped me pick parts and gave me suggestions on how to setup and configure the system. The hardest part about building a system from scratch is figuring out where all the little connectors go on your motherboard. :)

Must say it was a real learning experience and a lot of fun.

Otherwise I would say if your neighbor is willing to help you if you have trouble with it, like sending back broken/defective parts under warranty, putting it back together, then buy it. That system will rock out games very well. I have a I-7 920 and a EVGA GTX-285. I run most games maxed out and then some. Call of Duty 5 I have maxed out (in game settings) and use Nhancer to add a lot more anti aliasing, it looks much better with all that AA. My brother has the same game on the Xbox and can't believe how much better the PC looks than the Xbox. You should have very similar game performance as my system, I think you will be happy with that PC.

Drolfrawd
03-05-10, 12:46 PM
There doesn't seem to be a graphics card!!!

CaptNKILL
03-05-10, 12:47 PM
He paid, about $1600 Canadian after tax. Remember any unit I purchase has a 12% tax in Canada. So I'm saving 12% starting off.

I offered $800 CDN.

He has a OS. Windows 7 Ultimate but I think its illegal. Anyway I will be wiping the HD and installing my Windows XP. Personally I cannot get used to Windows 7.

I'm going to be honest with you.

Don't use XP! :p

Get Windows 7. I think a member here is still selling cheap Windows 7 Ultimate keys (they're legit, I've purchased some).

You'll be happy that you did. 4Gb of RAM, a 1Gb video card, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 and a quad core CPU with hyperthreading are just not going to work to their full potential with a 9 year old 32bit operating system. You'd probably only get 2.5 or 3Gb of usable ram.

DiscipleDOC
03-05-10, 12:55 PM
There doesn't seem to be a graphics card!!!

Hi everyone. Long time member and lurker but rarely posted.

Anyway my next door neighbor built this unit two months ago and is offering to sell at $1000 US.

Is the specs worth the purchase?

He has all the boxes and receipts.

i7 860 2.8Ghz (latest model of i7 series with integrated northbridge and memory controller)
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU heatsink
GA-P55A-UD3 mobo (with USB 3.0 & SATA 3.0 on-board accelerator)
G-skills 2GX2 DDR3 1600Mhz ripjaws
EVGA lifetime warranty FTW GTX 285
Seasonic S12 Energy plus
Coolermaster CM 690 case
DVD-RW dual-layer burner
Seagate 500GB 16mb cache Hard Drive

Thanks for any advice. :)

Redeemed
03-05-10, 01:00 PM
I'm going to be honest with you.

Don't use XP! :p

Get Windows 7. I think a member here is still selling cheap Windows 7 Ultimate keys (they're legit, I've purchased some).

You'll be happy that you did. 4Gb of RAM, a 1Gb video card, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 and a quad core CPU with hyperthreading are just not going to work to their full potential with a 9 year old 32bit operating system. You'd probably only get 2.5 or 3Gb of usable ram.

+1

musman
03-05-10, 01:01 PM
CaptNKILL is right. Forget XP, 7 is much better. I went from XP to 7, it's much better on all aspects (for me). Besides Microsoft is about to stop supporting XP soon. I think that means no more drivers for new hardware, stuff like that.

I did hear a rumor that by this time next year Windows 8 will be out. A good friend of mine who has been building computer since the 70's told me this, not too sure how much truth there is to that. Seem every 3yrs there is a news Windows out, so that is a little early I think, but who knows..

CaptNKILL
03-05-10, 01:05 PM
CaptNKILL is right. Forget XP, 7 is much better. I went from XP to 7, it's much better on all aspects (for me). Besides Microsoft is about to stop supporting XP soon. I think that means no more drivers for new hardware, stuff like that.

I did hear a rumor that by this time next year Windows 8 will be out. A good friend of mine who has been building computer since the 70's told me this, not too sure how much truth there is to that. Seem every 3yrs there is a news Windows out, so that is a little early I think, but who knows..

Your friend is nuts. There is no Windows 8 coming out in the next two years. :lol:

Redeemed
03-05-10, 01:08 PM

Maybe the beta. :lol: I don't think 8 will be available till some time in 2012. That'd keep to the 3 year timeline MS is after.

DiscipleDOC
03-05-10, 01:19 PM
Your friend is nuts. There is no Windows 8 coming out in the next two years. :lol:

True dat. This time next year we will be having a SP2 for Win7. :D

musman
03-05-10, 01:25 PM

Yea he was probably trying to pi** me off because I just bought W7, hes like that.

DiscipleDOC
03-05-10, 01:28 PM
Yea he was probably trying to pi** me off because I just bought W7, hes like that.

Unless your friend is working for MS, he's probably just bs'ing you....

musman
03-05-10, 02:04 PM
Unless your friend is working for MS, he's probably just bs'ing you....

He don't work for MS. Hes just trying to get under my skin. He is the kind of guy who will BS you or try to talk you out of purchasing something if it is better than what he has. And he will come up with some real BS sometimes lol. Two years ago I asked him to build me a gaming computer (at that time I really did not know much about computers) for me. I had some money at the time but he assured me that he could build be a PC for $300 that I would be able to play current games on and it would be much faster than my current PC at that time. Guess what I got.... A freaking single core CPU, on-board graphics, 3Gb of RAM, 160Gb HDD, basically a Asus bare bones computer . At the time I did not know any better. The problem was he did not want me to have a better PC than he had. After upgrading the CPU to a dual core and a OK video card there was nothing else I could really do with that PC. Thats when I found this site and started to educate myself and put together my current system. I no longer let him build me anything. :headexplode:

DiscipleDOC
03-05-10, 03:01 PM
He don't work for MS. Hes just trying to get under my skin. He is the kind of guy who will BS you or try to talk you out of purchasing something if it is better than what he has. And he will come up with some real BS sometimes lol. Two years ago I asked him to build me a gaming computer (at that time I really did not know much about computers) for me. I had some money at the time but he assured me that he could build be a PC for $300 that I would be able to play current games on and it would be much faster than my current PC at that time. Guess what I got.... A freaking single core CPU, on-board graphics, 3Gb of RAM, 160Gb HDD, basically a Asus bare bones computer . At the time I did not know any better. The problem was he did not want me to have a better PC than he had. After upgrading the CPU to a dual core and a OK video card there was nothing else I could really do with that PC. Thats when I found this site and started to educate myself and put together my current system. I no longer let him build me anything. :headexplode:

Wow. That's just lame. He sounds like a very insecure punk.

fasedww
03-05-10, 04:07 PM
Live and Learn, Way back in 95 or 96, I use to take my computer in to have wind 95 and early 98 reinstalled cause I didn't know how to do it. $90.00 bucks a pop. Finally I asked a neighbor who was a computer consultant, he taught me how, from there on I would try all kinds of stuff learning windows myself, if it got messed up, I would just reinstall, got pretty good with drivers and all, then I started overclocking etc, different bios setups, learn it all from forums and internet., now it's so easy for me.:D

Drolfrawd
03-05-10, 05:00 PM

:p

musman
03-05-10, 05:01 PM
Wow. That's just lame. He sounds like a very insecure punk.

Yea, hes a 60yo insecure BIOUTCH! lol. But hes for the most part a good person.

musman
03-05-10, 05:03 PM
Live and Learn, Way back in 95 or 96, I use to take my computer in to have wind 95 and early 98 reinstalled cause I didn't know how to do it. $90.00 bucks a pop. Finally I asked a neighbor who was a computer consultant, he taught me how, from there on I would try all kinds of stuff learning windows myself, if it got messed up, I would just reinstall, got pretty good with drivers and all, then I started overclocking etc, different bios setups, learn it all form forums and internet., now it's so easy for me.:D

Yea we all make noob mistakes from lack of knowledge that have cost us some $$. Live and learn is right. It's when you live and don't learn you have a problem.

bob saget
03-05-10, 05:13 PM
Ask if he is willing to go a little lower. If you have experience building, that price is just a tad too high.

capdjq
03-06-10, 02:09 AM
I offered $800 CDN and am awaiting his reply.

Its quite difficult to sell a built computer. Its easier to dismantle and sell the parts.