PDA

View Full Version : eVGA Geforce FX 5900 Ultra Problems

BMcGarvey
07-15-03, 02:02 PM
I got a eVGA Geforce FX 5900 Ultra a couple weeks ago and I have been having problems running 3D applications (games). I was on vacation for a week, so I am now just getting around to working on the issue. When I play a 3D game/demo the screen sporadically stops responding and sometimes will start responding again. I have tried a number of things to resolve the problem such as updating drivers (running 44.67), updating the mobo BIOS, installing latest mobo drivers, moving my sound card around into different PCI slots, trying different NICs, trying different power cables on the video, unplugging power from other devices, reinstalled the OS, checked the video card temperature (to ensure it was below the warning threshold), bypass my NAT router, tried a different NIC cable and probably some other stuff that I forgot. The games (UT2003 for example) seem to freeze up more often when playing online. Playing single player seems to work fine, but it has frozen up a couple times. I have sometimes played UT2003 online and it never froze up. I thought for sure that it was some kind of resource conflict, but I have done so many things to eliminate that. My PC is ACPI compliant running Windows XP, so I cannot change resources manually in Windows. More info on system:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe (latest BIOS and nforce drivers from nvidia site)
Athlon XP 2200+
1GB RAM DDR2100
330W Antec TruPower
(2) 80GB IDE drives (on is ATA100 and the other ATA133)
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Onboard nvidia NIC (tried the 3Com as well; no difference)
USB mouse

This problem never occurred with my Geforce 3.

If anyone heard of this problem and/or has any suggestions, please reply. I sent an message to eVGA tech support last night, so I am waiting to hear back from them. I guess it may be possible that my card is bad. Thanks.

Also I wanted to add that I tried changing the AGP mode to the lowest in the system BIOS, disabled fast writes, and I even underclocked the video card; did nothing.

bkswaney
07-15-03, 02:12 PM
Have u made a post on evga's message board about it?
There tech support is great!
They will even cross ship u a new card if need be. :)

BMcGarvey
07-15-03, 02:17 PM
I sent an message to eVGA tech support last night, so I am waiting to hear back from them.

Yeah I submitted a message to support via the website. I am still waiting to hear back (I am at work right now though :( ). I hope they are very easy to deal with, as you say. Thanks

tranced43
07-15-03, 02:32 PM
If i remember correctly doesn't the gffx 5900 ultra need a 350 watt power supply to make sure its getting all the power it needs? The power supply is the first thing that jumps at me. Also might be the graphics cards BIOS..

BMcGarvey
07-15-03, 02:39 PM
I believe the minimum is 300W. At least according to the eVGA manual specs (i believe). I have an Antec TruPower PSU. Those are supposed to ensure that the full 330W is evenly distributed throughout all the connectors (but that is only what they state on the box).

DivotMaker
07-15-03, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by BMcGarvey

If anyone heard of this problem and/or has any suggestions, please reply. I sent an message to eVGA tech support last night, so I am waiting to hear back from them. I guess it may be possible that my card is bad. Thanks.

Have you downloaded the reference bios for the card from EVGA's website and flashed your card yet? I am hearing this resolves the majority of issues similar to what you describe...

Once you have done this, you can then enable Coolbits in the registry and clock the card back to 500/900 and you should be free of the problem.

BMcGarvey
07-15-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
Have you downloaded the reference bios for the card from EVGA's website and flashed your card yet? I am hearing this resolves the majority of issues similar to what you describe...

Once you have done this, you can then enable Coolbits in the registry and clock the card back to 500/900 and you should be free of the problem.

Thanks :D :D. I did not know of this update. I cant wait to get home and try it. Hopefully it works. I currently left my card set to the default clock (500/900). I was wondering about that as well. Why do the drivers clock it to 500/900? Shouldnt it be 450/800 or something like that. Guess the drivers are setting it to the FX 5800 speeds. When I hit auto-detect, it clocked much further over that (like (518/9...somethin). I don't overclock though. Thanks again.

BMcGarvey
07-15-03, 03:08 PM
You wouldnt happen to have a URL for where I can obtain the BIOS update? I cant find it on the site.

DivotMaker
07-15-03, 03:17 PM
You wouldnt happen to have a URL for where I can obtain the BIOS update? I cant find it on the site.

http://www.evga.com/support/

You might have to dig a bit to find it, but what I would do is to enter your card's serial number and it may take you directly to the bios download section.

BMcGarvey
07-15-03, 03:23 PM
After reading through the eVGA forums (that I didnt notice existed) other people are experiencing similar problems. I guess the reference BIOS clocks the board back down to 450/850. And as you mentioned, use coolbits to clock it back to 500/900. People are reporting that corrects the problem and it runs fine. I am going to read further. Thanks for you help. I appreciate it.

BTW: What I meant before is I could not find the reference BIOS on www.evga.com/support/. I am sure I will run by it.

BMcGarvey
07-15-03, 03:32 PM
If you are having problems with games sporadically locking up with a eVGA Geforce FX 5900 Ultra, try installing the reference BIOS found here:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/5900Ub.asp

I have yet to try it (since I am still at work) but people are reporting this has been correcting the problem. It will downclock the GPU and memory to the Nvidia factory specs of 450/850 but you should be able to clock it back up to 500/900 using Coolbits.

Thanks BigBertha for your help.

RoachMojo
07-15-03, 03:43 PM
I have that card, and am runnning on the ref bios. I WAS having the exact same problem as you...until I clocked the card back.

Running at 480/888 I have no problems. Clocking any higher than that gives me the "fake hang".

Clock your card back. They cannot all run at 500/900.

FYI, Evga did the same thing with the Evga TI4600. It was clocked too high, and their "revolutionary" cooling system was not enough.

saturnotaku
07-15-03, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by RoachMojo
FYI, Evga did the same thing with the Evga TI4600. It was clocked too high, and their "revolutionary" cooling system was not enough.

Yes, the fabled ACS2 cooling system. I had one with an eVGA Ti4400. That system was outstanding for overclocking the card's memory as I was able to get mine up to 715 MHz without artifacts (remember this is a Ti4400). But for overclocking the core, it was pants. Anything higher than default would lock my system up when playing games. Back to eVGA it went.

RoachMojo
07-15-03, 04:24 PM
Yeha, I was able to get my TI4600 to only 310/680.

The cards bios would clock it to 300/700, and I wold have to drop it back or it would lockup. At least the core clocked a little higher.

BTW, I love this Evga Geforce FX 5900U, even with it's problems! It screams compared to my ti4600.

DivotMaker
07-15-03, 04:28 PM
Thanks BigBertha for your help.

You are most welcome...glad I could help...

BMcGarvey
07-18-03, 12:25 PM
I have just come across a thread stating that eVGA released an updated Performance BIOS for their Geforce FX 5900 Ultra cards. eVGA said that the "believe" they have solved the problems from the original Performance BIOS. The Performance BIOS clocks the card to the 500/900 3D speeds. Here is a link to obtain the updated BIOS:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/5900UB2.asp

oiler
07-18-03, 03:07 PM
Can someone that has written these executables to a floppy, zip up the actual files that are on the floppy, for both of these BIOS files and attach them to a message?

None of my systems have a floppy.