PDA

View Full Version : Cheap compressed air?

CaptNKILL
03-06-10, 12:02 AM
Where can I get a bunch of cheap cans of compressed air for dusting and cleaning PCs?

I love using the stuff because its so convenient, but its so expensive that I don't use it as often as I'd like. At nearly $6 for a 12oz can it seems like a waste of money.

The cheapest I can find is 6 8oz cans for $16 plus shipping at amazon, which is really no better because of the shipping.

My brother has a small air compressor but its just not the same. Its big, its noisy, it needs to be plugged in and you're always tethered to the compressor. It also doesn't seem to have the accurate and powerful spray of a can of computer duster.

My usual sources are turning up no sweet deals... where should I look?

betterdan
03-06-10, 12:16 AM
Bob with a straw.

Yea it is criminal how much some damn compressed air costs. I need some more myself.

fasedww
03-06-10, 12:19 AM
I went to menards and bought a air compresser that fits in my closet $85.99 has a long nose sprayer, and a short one, 2HP, 4 Gallon tank. Been using it to keep my 5 computers clean works alot better than those cans.,You can adjust the pressure 5 to 120 psi if want. It's electric compresser of course. I bet it's payed for itself in the first year. Those cans are a rip, and they don't really even come close to cleaning stuff out like a small compressor.

bob saget
03-06-10, 12:54 AM
I was actually gonna say, i saw a random dude outside a store yesterday cleaning out a really old computer with a compressor. i might go by tomorrow and see if he will let me do my TRUE. I cant reach that far into the fins.

jeffmd
03-06-10, 03:46 AM
Id use some of that money to buy a pc case that has filters over the fan inlets, and make sure you have a positive air pressure in the case (ie, more power from fans blowing in than sucking out). If the dust problem is that bad, it will quickly get into all your fan's axels and you will have even more problems.

Shamrock
03-06-10, 04:37 AM
I went to menards and bought a air compresser that fits in my closet $85.99 has a long nose sprayer, and a short one, 2HP, 4 Gallon tank. Been using it to keep my 5 computers clean works alot better than those cans.,You can adjust the pressure 5 to 120 psi if want. It's electric compresser of course. I bet it's payed for itself in the first year. Those cans are a rip, and they don't really even come close to cleaning stuff out like a small compressor.

I wish they made a canned air refill kit, with the compressors. I have an 8 gallon :D

musman
03-06-10, 10:54 AM
Did you try e-bay?

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Computers-Networking-/58058/i.html?_nkw=compressed+air&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Ninja Prime
03-06-10, 11:34 AM
I buy it at costco in a 6 pack for like $10.

musman
03-06-10, 11:58 AM
Why is compressed air so costly? Must be to keep people from inhaling it.

Dr.Nick
03-06-10, 12:35 PM
I have to clean mine out pretty much every month and without an air compressor I'd be in trouble. Home depot has a few for under $100 and they useful to have around the house. You just have to make sure it doesn't build up moisture in the tank or you'll be giving your rig a bath

fasedww
03-06-10, 02:39 PM
I have to clean mine out pretty much every month and without an air compressor I'd be in trouble. Home depot has a few for under $100 and they useful to have around the house. You just have to make sure it doesn't build up moisture in the tank or you'll be giving your rig a bath

I always let the air out of compressor when I'm done, And I keep it in my bedroom where the house is aircondition in the summer. not to humid in the house.Never have any water mist or anything. maybe if you let it sit outside, or in the garage that is in the humid moist summer and all, it might start getting water in the tank.

musman
03-06-10, 03:05 PM
I use a can of compressed air to blow out all of the loose dust, then I use a paint brush to get all the dust that the air did not get.

Bman212121
03-06-10, 07:12 PM
I always let the air out of compressor when I'm done, And I keep it in my bedroom where the house is aircondition in the summer. not to humid in the house.Never have any water mist or anything. maybe if you let it sit outside, or in the garage that is in the humid moist summer and all, it might start getting water in the tank.

Yea, that's exactly why I don't use an air compressor. We have a lot of moisture in ours, and it's also a little too powerful for the computer. I'd rather spend $20 or $30 and not risk breaking $500 components.

@Capt: The only time I've got it cheap was at Staples. They had some on sale. Otherwise it's pretty costly for what it is.

muelo1000
03-06-10, 10:01 PM
just a word of advices compress air has moisture witch in terms ruins your components is something that is hard to see but its there, I know this because I work for a company that built radios for the DOD. The do sell compressors with filters to avoid this but they cost a arm and a leg.

betterdan
06-07-10, 09:42 PM
I went to Lowes today and picked up this small Shop Vac for $29.97
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/026282/026282930026lg.jpg
http://www.lowes.com/pd_215726-20097-9300211_0_?productId=1060265&Ntt=shop
It's 2.5 gallon and pretty damn powerful with 2.5hp. It comes with a 4" hose (3" longer than Bob's hose), 6' power chord, 2 attachments, onboard storage of attachments and the dry filter.

I thought this would be a good idea to get so I could stop wasting money on canned air and plus I can save money by not having to drive down to the car wash to vacuum out the car anymore too.
When I tried blowing out the computer with it I used the crevice tool attachment that came with it and I accidently blew the can of air sitting next to the computer clear off the desk, it was that powerful :lol: Canned air ain't got nothing on this thing. It makes canned air look like a 90 year old man blowing out his birthday candles. The computer didn't look all that dirty but after cleaning it the idle temps dropped.
If you want something cheap, powerful and nice to use on the car too then I wouldn't hesitate to get this.
I vacuumed both cars today and blew out the computer so I figure I spent about $30 on the Shop Vac but in turn saved about $8, it should pay for itself within 6 months. :thumbsup:

mullet
06-07-10, 11:19 PM
Where can I get a bunch of cheap cans of compressed air for dusting and cleaning PCs?

I love using the stuff because its so convenient, but its so expensive that I don't use it as often as I'd like. At nearly $6 for a 12oz can it seems like a waste of money.

The cheapest I can find is 6 8oz cans for $16 plus shipping at amazon, which is really no better because of the shipping.

My brother has a small air compressor but its just not the same. Its big, its noisy, it needs to be plugged in and you're always tethered to the compressor. It also doesn't seem to have the accurate and powerful spray of a can of computer duster.

My usual sources are turning up no sweet deals... where should I look?

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Campbell-hausfeld-Oil-Free-Compressor/dp/B002BEKFCG $49.99 or buy 19 - 8oz cans for the same price. Plus it airs up tires to, you can't do that with a shop vac. HAHAHAAaa Ohh and see the little brass thing on the bottom that's where you drain the moisture. I use an air compressor a little bigger then this and it's the best. I do hold the fan blades on the GPU and case fans to not let them spin up. I let mine fill up the tank and shut it off, it is plenty to clean 3 PC's.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=40446&stc=1&d=1275967134

betterdan
06-08-10, 12:05 AM
I had to hold the fans too because the air was spinning the hell out of them and even made my cpu fan lights come on.

You can't vacuum your car with that like you can with a Shop Vac though mullet. ;) Also you don't have to worry about any moisture with the Shop Vac either. An air compressor is a handy tool to have around ( I still use a bicycle tire pump to air up the motorcycle and car tires so I wouldn't mind having one) but the Shop Vac is cheaper (and not reconditioned like that compressor) and does an even better job at blowing out the computer than cans of air thus I think it's closer to what CaptN was looking for.
The Shop Vac is also way more portable with a carry handle and weighs less than half of what the compressor does which weighs in at about 22 lbs I see on Amazon and no handle.

Another thing I might try with it is to use it to dry off the bike once I wash it. Harley sells a hand held blower to dry off the bike and they want $120 for it which as usual is a ridiculous price since it has the Harley name. I'm sure this will work as well if not better than that blower.

mullet
06-08-10, 01:27 AM
I know. I was pulling bobs leg for you.

dikinher
06-08-10, 01:59 AM
Compressed air cans are a waste of money for the usage you get out of them. By the time I'm done ridding dust from my case, the can is nearly empty. What helps save money is using a thick brush women use for blushing their face. The bristles are super soft and won't scratch your hardware when dusting them off.

http://www.covergirl.ca/en_ca/prodimages/masters_blush_brush_1.jpg

betterdan
06-08-10, 06:36 AM
I know. I was pulling bobs leg for you.

Ok :lol: As long as you don't pull something else... :bleh: