PDA

View Full Version : HAHA!! Newegg Ships Counterfeit Intel Core i7 920 CPUs

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
03-06-10, 02:08 AM
Initial reports of the fakes began yesterday when at least 3* 5 separate incidents totaling 7* 9 counterfeit processors cropped up on Youtube, HardOCP and the Overclockers.com forums. The recipients of the fakes had all purchased the CPU’s from Newegg.com within the past few days.

We contacted Newegg and a representative confirmed that they did in fact receive “incorrect inventory” in the form of counterfeit processors from a vendor and that they are working to rectify the matter as quickly as possible. Unfortunately further questions about how they intended to resolve the matter with the unfortunate purchasers or details about where the counterfeits came from and how they managed to slip by screenings were ignored.

The pictures below, taken by the unwitting buyers tell the story. The heatsink had been swapped with a rather crude epoxy or clay like molding of the stock Intel HSF, with a picture of the fan’s top part attached. The CPU was layers of of metal and PCB with a fake IHS on the top and a sticker attached with typical Core i7 information. The box itself was riddled with spelling errors, and to bypass the security seal, the box was printed with a “Intel Factory Sealed” sticker look alike and a clear sticker attached over top.

Intel does provide “security” windows on its packaging in order to verify that the CPU and fan are in fan in the box, however, it does not show the full components.

It is expected that Newegg will replace the processors very quickly and an investigation into the perpetrators of such a unique crime will likely begin. No others reports of fake CPUs from North American retailers has been heard and a source with retailer NCIX.com confirms that the company has already checked their stock and found no fakes.

If the rumoured HardOCP number of 300 counterfeit units is accurate, it that would represent a street value price of over $85,000 USD.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/web-business/newegg-ships-counterfeit-core-i7-920-cpus/

follow story in post 23
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2204140&postcount=23

CaptNKILL
03-06-10, 02:11 AM
Wow, I'd flip out if I got something like that from newegg.

That isn't even a counterfeit. That's like a display box or something. :wtf:

Aphot
03-06-10, 02:39 AM
Oh man, that's pretty bad...

Shamrock
03-06-10, 04:36 AM
Didn't Newegg just open a warehouse in like Vietnam? That's probly where they came from.

Toss3
03-06-10, 06:33 AM
:headexplode:

scout2of3
03-06-10, 07:59 AM
Wow, now that shakes my confidence in NewEgg. I am sure that NewEgg will reimburse or send the proper processors to the customers, at least I would hope that would be the case. NewEgg has always been a good place to buy from, I just hope it hasn't changed.

grey_1
03-06-10, 08:28 AM
Wow, now that shakes my confidence in NewEgg. I am sure that NewEgg will reimburse or send the proper processors to the customers, at least I would hope that would be the case. NewEgg has always been a good place to buy from, I just hope it hasn't changed.

This

I've had trouble with a couple of orders over the years and they have always fixed it pretty quickly - this is mind blowing though.

musman
03-06-10, 08:29 AM
Nice!

grey_1
03-06-10, 08:33 AM
Nice!

Easy for you to say - you have a real 920. :lol:

mailman2
03-06-10, 09:17 AM
meh their distributor would be at fault. I bet the people in the packing department at Newegg have no idea what a legit i7 should look like. No biggie, I'd still buy from Newegg over any other vendor right now. They customer service has always been top notch with me. Then again the other night I went through my order history and I've spent $33,000 with them since 8-7-2001. I build alot of PCs for people but with a $33,000 order history I now know why they have no problem waiving restock fees for me when products need to get returned.

XDanger
03-06-10, 10:05 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/fogp4o.jpg

I think they had a batch mixed up with the Intel promotional dairy products.

Easy mistake to make as the packaging is very similar.

Trademark
03-06-10, 10:06 AM
Words cannot describe the failure :D

ViN86
03-06-10, 10:16 AM
LOL omg I would be so pissed if I bought a 920 and got sent that ****. :lol:

methimpikehoses
03-06-10, 10:45 AM
Newegg has really dropped the ball... that's terrible.

nekrosoft13
03-06-10, 11:35 AM
would be funny if someone would try to install it ;)

musman
03-06-10, 11:51 AM
Easy for you to say - you have a real 920. :lol:

Yea lol, I would have flipped my lid if that was sent to me :headexplode:. Things happen, I have purchased almost all of my computer parts from Newegg and they have been great.

fasedww
03-06-10, 02:56 PM
Me too', probally have spent well over 25,000 in the last 10 years, Always have good customer support the very few times I needed it,:(

crainger
03-06-10, 03:46 PM
Didn't Newegg just open a warehouse in like Vietnam? That's probly where they came from.

I deal with offshore employees everyday and this is the a stunt I'd expect from India.

XDanger
03-07-10, 10:29 AM
this is the a stunt I'd expect from India.

d1ODNSbo1_c

Mr Bigman
03-08-10, 05:14 PM
Why and who would newegg get their cpu's from ?

Wouldn't they get them direct from intel or is their always a mille man with that box truck out back?

So who are these venders that work inbetween say Newegg and Intel or AMD?

bob saget
03-08-10, 05:59 PM
Between the factory and New Egg outposts, there is a bridge with a troll living underneath. This troll likes to sneak in fake CPUs.

methimpikehoses
03-08-10, 06:55 PM
I yanked Bigman's supply chain, and all I got was this ****ty counterfeit CPU.

nekrosoft13
03-08-10, 10:25 PM
wow, things are getting interesting

As Neowin reported during the weekend, Newegg shipped out counterfeit Intel i7 processors to customers, where customers received a clay mold of a heatsink, and even a piece of scrap metal as the processor. Intel will investigate why there was counterfeit processors shipped out to customers and exactly how many were shipped, according to PCWorld.

Intel has confirmed that there is at least one case of these counterfeit processors, and according to Engadget, Newegg’s long time partner, D&H Distribution, accidentally got a hold of 300 fakes in a batch of 2,000. It doesn’t seem that everyone believes Newegg when they say they received “incorrect inventory.”

Engadget even mentions that the company has started to send out cease-and-desist letters to websites that publishes the news.

An Intel spokesperson confirms the existence of the fake Intel i7 chips in an email, "The examples we have seen are not Intel products but are counterfeits." This contradicts the press statement issued by Newegg over the weekend, claiming the chips are “demo units”:

“Newegg is aware of a shipping error that occurred with certain recent orders of the Intel Core i7-920 CPU. After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units. Our customer service team has already begun proactively reaching out to the affected customers. In line with our commitment to ensure total customer satisfaction, we are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue as soon as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.”

http://www.neowin.net/news/intel-investigates-counterfeit-processors-300-fake-chips

Bman212121
03-08-10, 11:12 PM
Found this on Hardware Canucks...

Finally, a bit of closure. Newegg has opted to show some more transparency in the case surrounding counterfeit Core i7 920 processors recently sold by the retailer.

The company has publicly released a statement acknowledging misinformation regarding the units being demo boxes, pinpointing the exact source of the fakes, and clearing D&H Distributing’s good name.

Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com.

Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us “demo units.” We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

Newegg’s top priority is to proactively reach out to all customers who may have been affected to ensure their absolute satisfaction. We have already sent out a number of replacement units and are doing everything in our power to resolve the matter promptly and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

We have always taken pride in providing an exceptional experience for each customer, and we apologize for any inconvenience to our valued customers. We take matters like this extremely seriously, and are working in close cooperation with Intel and the appropriate law enforcement authorities to thoroughly investigate this incident.

While both Intel and Newegg will be pursuing the real culprits in the coming weeks, this announcement puts to rest much of the internet speculation about cover-ups and dishonesty, and this news writer in particular is relieved to finally put the case to rest.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/web-business/word-newegg-clean/

nrdstrm
03-09-10, 01:32 AM
I have ordered from Newegg. I've also sold (components) to Newegg. They are tough to deal with at times from an OEM point of view, but that is mostly due to the quality they demand.

Speaking in general terms (not just Newegg), sometimes companies like Intel only have so much of a hot product to pass around. Out of the etailers, Newegg likely gets the lions share, but that may not be enough (they sell a TON of product). So aside from etail, Intel sells directly to Distribution Companies and System Builders. So when an etailer runs out of said processor (or any other component for that matter), they will go to a distributor to get additional quantity of said item.

This being the case, I'm not shocked that some of these got through. Newegg is (and will) make it right, and fast. That is alot more than I can say about some other etailers (and no I won't name names :P )