PDA

View Full Version : EVGA Classified

Muppet
03-06-10, 04:52 PM
Well I decided to change out my Gigabyte Extreme for a new EVGA Classified. Put in my OCZ Blade 2000mhz 7-8-7-1t. It has been great up until yesterday. Was perfectly stable at 4.2 at 1.34 volts and mem running just under 2000 at 1.65 volts.

I have been getting constant Blue Screens. I have tried all sorts of settings in the bios. Even at completely stock settings it still blue screens. I ran each stick individually in memtest and get errors. So i upped the VTT volts slightly and they pass. But boot back into windows and bam Blue screen.

I have another machine and I took out the memory form that and put it in the EVGA and now no more blue screens.

LOOKS LIKE THE EVGA HAS KILLED MY OCZ BLADES.:(:(:(

Very very disappointed in EVGA.:(

bob saget
03-06-10, 05:23 PM
Why did you go from the extreme to the classified? more overclocking?

Muppet
03-06-10, 05:25 PM
Well the super Talent has been running for almost an hour now without issue. It does look as if the EVGA killed my Ram. I'm going to RMA the Ram. I wounder if I should also do the same for the motherboard. The ram was only ever run at it's rated speeds. After all the Ram was running for over a year in the Gigabyte without these problems.

Muppet
03-06-10, 07:02 PM
Why did you go from the extreme to the classified? more overclocking?

Just wanted to try out a different board really. I wish I hadn't now. :(

I put my blades back into my old rig with the Gigabyte and memtest throws up thousands of errors.

bob saget
03-06-10, 07:26 PM
you got greedy :o :(
Looking from how rock solid my gigabyte has been, i really dont see myself buying something from competitors unless it is an amazing deal or amazing product.

Muppet
03-06-10, 08:31 PM
you got greedy :o :(
Looking from how rock solid my gigabyte has been, i really don't see myself buying something from competitors unless it is an amazing deal or amazing product.

Yeah that's true. It's a hard lesson. Those Blades where awesome. Hard to find now. Hopefully they will RMA them and not try to give me a reimbursement.

lee63
03-06-10, 09:59 PM
I don't think the board killed the ram...sometimes ram fails after a short time.

I've been running mine at CL 6 1.67v for over six months with no issues.

Muppet
03-06-10, 10:13 PM
I don't think the board killed the ram...sometimes ram fails after a short time.

I've been running mine at CL 6 1.67v for over six months with no issues.

No that is true. I have never overclocked this stuff. I've never had to, it was so fast. It may just be a total coincidence, that I changed out the board and this happened. Although I don't think it is. A friend of mine Deanzo from Extreme Systems also had this Ram and an EVGA Classified 762 4xSLI. One of his sticks also died in his after swapping it out of an Asus Rampage 2 to the EVGA. So there is a pattern, even if it is only 2 of us.

I still think the EVGA has a big part to play in this.

Muppet
03-07-10, 03:52 AM
EVGA boards killing highend memory... I can tell stories all day long about that. But I always thought it was related to the ultra crappy 680i chipset.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new board Muppet :( Why didn't you wait for the ASUS Rampage III Extreme? :o

I really wish i would have, believe me. It also looks like OCZ doesn't make the CL7 2000mhz Blades any more. :(

Muppet
03-07-10, 04:11 AM
I know how it is. I also had to wait a few months to get a replacement for my G.skill DDR2 800 CL3 memory just to get it fried by the EVGA 680i (newer revision this time) within two days again... Then I never got a replacement, that memory was too rare somehow...

Yeah it doesn't make you happy when you have to use up money you have saved for Fermi to get another set of Ram so you can use your PC. It will probably take a couple of weeks to find out they don't have it anymore and I'll have to get a refund or settle for something less.

Might have to take the refund and buy some Corsair high end stuff.

v3rninater
03-07-10, 05:57 AM
This my friends is why I don't o/c memory. Not worth it to me, just get some decent high mhz ram at low timings and run bone stock. Never had a problem with that setup for me, and I was able to get more juice out of the CPU o/c than anything.

Muppet
03-07-10, 10:42 PM
This my friends is why I don't o/c memory. Not worth it to me, just get some decent high mhz ram at low timings and run bone stock. Never had a problem with that setup for me, and I was able to get more juice out of the CPU o/c than anything.

That is the same for me. I bought the high end Ram so I didn't have to overclock it. I always ran it at its rated speed. Never once did I exceed it.