PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 4 Ti4200 Problems

Monkey Roids
07-15-03, 03:38 PM
Ok, since about christmas I have had my computer. I've always wanted my own computer, and when I finally got one, I was of course overjoyed.
But over the months of owning my computer, I have experienced alot of faults, especially on games. The most common thing that happens is the game (eg, Starcraft, Dungeon Keeper 2, Counter-Strike) just closes itself with no warning. I went on the support areas and was told to download the latest drivers for my graphics card, so I did. However, when I tried to install the NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display drivers, it only managed to finish the install shield before saying:

"An error occured while launching the setup"
The remote procedure call failed.

Without fixing whatever is wrong with my GeForce 4 Ti4200, I'll be stuck forever with games closing themselves. Oh yeah, anouther problem is that my computer random restarts itself, and I have the high suspicion that the graphics card has something to do with it too.

Please help :(

saturnotaku
07-15-03, 03:55 PM
Well, you could start out by giving us your complete system specs: motherboard (including chipset), processor, memory (amount and brand), hard drives, and power supply.

Random reboots and game crashes could be caused by a number of things, including the graphics card, RAM or power supply. As far as the drivers not installing, you probably just got a corrupted download. Try downloading again and see if that works.

yoladude
07-15-03, 04:45 PM
i kno that this might sound stupid, and please dont take offense if it does, but make sure you uninstall your old drivers using the add/remove programs control panel, restart, and THEN reinstall the drivers. btw, what drivers are you using?

Monkey Roids
07-15-03, 04:50 PM
Motherboard: VIA Apollo KT333 chipset / Athlon XP Socket A / Atx

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.79Ghz

Memory: 256 mb DDRAM

Hardrive: Maxtor 80gb

Power supply: 350 watt

I downloaded the graphics card driver again and ran it, this time it said:

An error occured while launching the setup.
Catastrophic failure.

GlowStick
07-16-03, 12:26 AM
Are you downloading drivers from Nvidias site?

I get the feeling that you could have a memory problem.

Example, your ram is flipping bits, so anything you install or download becomes corrupted. Or you hard drive could be bad (pritty rare).

But these kinds of issues where general system unstability can be caused by a faulty power supply, or a dirty power source.

An example of a dirty power source is, my friend lives in a pritty old house, he was haveing random crashes while web browsing etc. He asked my opinion of the problem and everything looked good. Then i moved his computer to a independant circuit that his dad put in for his AC and it worked perfect, and still is.

Here is what id do. First remove every unnessary PCI cards, extra usb devices. etc

Find a friend with a video card, and swap it out. If the problems persist, swap out the ram, while putting your card back. If the problem still persists, you could just continue to change parts if he dosnet mind you stripping his system heh.