PDA

View Full Version : Already seeing problems with UBIs new DRM...

Pages : [1] 2 3

mailman2
03-08-10, 10:11 AM
Looks like they aren't prepared to actually handle this. Another BF BC2 situation will result when AC2 releases this week. Nice job with DRM, only pirates can play the stupid thing. I bet those were the results they were after... /Epicfail facepalm

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53596/Ubisoft-DRM-Wreaks-Havoc-Over-Weekend

Ubisoft has been feeling the burn for the past while over DRM and its decision to force players to have an internet connection in order to even play single player in games such as Assassin's Creed II. But the **** really hit the fan over the weekend when the DRM servers went down, thus cancelling any gaming plans folks may have had for the recently released PC version of Assassin's Creed II.
Players have reported a number of issues, such as slow logins, missing saved games, lockups accessing saved slots, "cannot connect" messages, etc. At the moment Ubisoft may be keeping out (some) of the warez puppies, but they are also keeping out paying customers. Awesome system! By the way... DRM Cracked In One Day. So sad. Of course, these issues have also affected "Silent Hunter 5". I think I may have read somewhere that the DRM issues were a result of attacks on the servers. Not sure though.

Ubi.Vigil (UK Community Manager): I don't have any clear information on what the issue is since I'm not in the office, but clearly the extended downtime and lengthy login issues are unacceptable, particularly as I've been told these servers are constantly monitored.

I'll do what I can to get more information on what the issue is here first thing tomorrow and push for a resolution and assurance this won't happen in the future. I realise that's not ideal but there's only so much I can do on a weekend as I'm not directly involved with the server side of this system.

Ubi.Vigil (UK Community Manager): Due to exceptional demand, we are currently experiencing difficulties with the Online Service Platform. This does not affect customers who are currently playing, but customers attempting to start a game may experience difficulty in accessing our servers. We are currently working to resolve this issue and apologize for any inconvenience.

|MaguS|
03-08-10, 10:15 AM
Another site is reporting that ubisoft made a statement that the downtime was due to an attack on the servers by an unknown source. Yeah so much Ubisoft fault...

Oh and can we keep this in one thread please.

mailman2
03-08-10, 11:01 AM
Another site is reporting that ubisoft made a statement that the downtime was due to an attack on the servers by an unknown source. Yeah so much Ubisoft fault...

Source? Funny, the UBI reps had no idea now they are saying it's a DDoS attack? Typical corporate lie, blame someone else.

|MaguS|
03-08-10, 11:22 AM
Source? Funny, the UBI reps had no idea now they are saying it's a DDoS attack? Typical corporate lie, blame someone else.

Not everyone is in the know when it comes to a giant company. Usually when a service goes down PR gets on the damage control but they really don't have the facts from the engineers yet.

I posted my source in the Ubisoft DRM thread where your post should have gone.

nekrosoft13
03-08-10, 11:24 AM

wouldn't suprise me, if a bunch of idiot pirates got together to start DDoS attacks.

Bman212121
03-08-10, 11:39 AM
Regardless of how it happened though, once again it's nice to know that you pay for something you can't use.

Richteralan
03-08-10, 11:45 AM
blame everything on pirates..
very convenient...:lol:

nekrosoft13
03-08-10, 11:47 AM
blame everything on pirates..
very convenient...:lol:

pirates are the reason why we got DRM in first place.

mailman2
03-08-10, 12:18 PM
I posted my source in the Ubisoft DRM thread where your post should have gone.

That link to with the "statement" is total BS. So how did the pirates get the IP address of the DRM servers already? Net stats? You'd think these "holy grail of DRM" servers would be protected a bit better? With the IP address, we should now see some type of DNS hacking to re-route the traffic to illegitimate servers to that pirates won't need to actually crack anything. Why would this only affect new connections to the server? We all know it constantly communicates to that DRM server? I call shens on that whole statement from UBI. Its blowing smoke to convince as many people as they can that it wasn't their fault. I'm guessing every time their precious DRM servers go down this will be the standard PR statement from UBI. Joy.

Even your source finds their statement to be a load of crap -
That 95 percent claims doesn't quite jibe with the tons of people complaining about their issues with the DRM in the Silent Hunter 5 and Assassin's Creed 2 forums.

Richteralan
03-08-10, 12:24 PM
well ya!
blame the pirates!!:lol:

six_storm
03-08-10, 12:40 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/03/500x_the_brads_drm2.jpg

NarcissistZero
03-08-10, 12:44 PM
Regardless of how it happened though, once again it's nice to know that you pay for something you can't use.

This is true, but the end of the line on this is that hackers took down a game service and people could not play. If it happened to WoW no one would be blaming Blizzard for it completely, that's for sure.

Whether the game should be tied to the service or not in your personal opinion is almost completely irrelevant.

General Lee
03-08-10, 12:46 PM

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

mailman2
03-08-10, 12:54 PM
This is true, but the end of the line on this is that hackers took down a game service and people could not play. If it happened to WoW no one would be blaming Blizzard for it completely, that's for sure.

Whether the game should be tied to the service or not in your personal opinion is almost completely irrelevant.

We don't really know that and I have a hard time believe that hackers took down the DRM servers. Wouldn't the hackers be cracking Assassin's Creed 2? Why would they mess with legit buyers? That doesn't even make sense.

NarcissistZero
03-08-10, 12:55 PM
We don't really know that and I have a hard time believe that hackers took down the DRM servers. Wouldn't the hackers be cracking Assassin's Creed 2? Why would they mess with legit buyers? That doesn't even make sense.

I agree, it doesn't make sense for them to attack customers.

Of course knowing anti-copyright people, I bet they see consumers who support the evil capitalist regime as deserving of hassle.

|MaguS|
03-08-10, 01:20 PM

Some kid attacked Sonys site because he got banned from Socom. People do stupid **** all the time.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/214217/teen-admits-crashing-sony-site/

|MaguS|
03-08-10, 01:21 PM

Hey look a pirate justifying piracy, who would have thought!

Hari Seldon
03-08-10, 01:45 PM
Some frustrated pirate trying to hack AC probably used a small bot net to attack the servers....

NarcissistZero
03-08-10, 01:48 PM
The thing about that picture and that rant altogether is that it is just false. No one who is moral and would not steal is going to suddenly do so because of a hassle. It's just not true... games with no DRM are heavily pirated as well any other, it's a fallacy.

Pirates steal because they are selfish, spoiled and ignorant bastards. That's it. Seeking endless justifications and reasons is all just BS hatred for corporations and whining. If you are not someone who steals then when presented with an annoying thing like Ubi's DRM you will just NOT BUY THE GAME.

At best that pic justifies buying a game and then playing the cracked version.

six_storm
03-08-10, 02:00 PM
Hey look a pirate justifying piracy, who would have thought!

Ha! That's pretty funny. Remember, I buy the games worth buying chief. ;)

What's really funny about this whole situation is that the hacked copies can play fine where the legit versions are screwed. Good thing I'm not interested in buying (or even downloading to try) any of the new Ubi games coming out.

six_storm
03-08-10, 02:05 PM
The thing about that picture and that rant altogether is that it is just false. No one who is moral and would not steal is going to suddenly do so because of a hassle. It's just not true... games with no DRM are heavily pirated as well any other, it's a fallacy.

Pirates steal because they are selfish, spoiled and ignorant bastards. That's it. Seeking endless justifications and reasons is all just BS hatred for corporations and whining. If you are not someone who steals then when presented with an annoying thing like Ubi's DRM you will just NOT BUY THE GAME.

At best that pic justifies buying a game and then playing the cracked version.

I agree that it's horrible that people will download a game, play it, beat it and then not pay for it. But if you like a game and you pay for a copy, then who gives a crap if you download the cracks? The company got their money, I should be able to run the dang game without having a CD in my CD drive all the dang time.

NarcissistZero
03-08-10, 02:12 PM
I agree that it's horrible that people will download a game, play it, beat it and then not pay for it. But if you like a game and you pay for a copy, then who gives a crap if you download the cracks? The company got their money, I should be able to run the dang game without having a CD in my CD drive all the dang time.

My stance is if I buy a game and someday I can't play it right out of the box, I will do what I have to do to play it. If that means fan patch, crack, whatever, then I will do it. I just fa patched King's Quest 6 the other day.

I do NOT agree with pirating a game and then maybe paying for it if you like it. That is bull and stealing, same as anything else.

six_storm
03-08-10, 02:32 PM
My stance is if I buy a game and someday I can't play it right out of the box, I will do what I have to do to play it. If that means fan patch, crack, whatever, then I will do it. I just fa patched King's Quest 6 the other day.

I do NOT agree with pirating a game and then maybe paying for it if you like it. That is bull and stealing, same as anything else.

Again, if the game is worth 2 cents to me, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll delete my "download" and won't waste another second of my time with it. Simple as that. And trust me, I've got an extensive game library that has been paid for in full.

NarcissistZero
03-08-10, 02:40 PM
Again, if the game is worth 2 cents to me, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll delete my "download" and won't waste another second of my time with it. Simple as that. And trust me, I've got an extensive game library that has been paid for in full.

Still doesn't make it right dude, these products are not made for people to play and THEN decide how much they are worth. It just doesn't work that way, you are taking advantage of illegal copyright infringement to avoid paying for things. Piracy, in other words.

It's really not hard to look at videos, reviews and customer comments on forums and figure out what is worth getting, I assure you. I rarely ever buy a game I regret getting... Star Trek Online is the only recent example I can think of, and on that I was warned several times and let my fanboyism lead me down a bad path... my own fault.

And in case you ask "who does it hurt"...

1) Increases piracy stats that publishers use to decide platform support and DRM.
2) Leeches for real thieves.
3) Customers tend to be nit-picky and blow up Steam forums over minor issues... these same minor issues could stop you from paying after the fact, even if you mostly loved the game.
4) Play it on day one but pay $20 later for it... diminishes platform, lowers sales, lowers the PC on priority list.
5) You will always, even without meaning to, try and save yourself money. You will find reasons not to buy right now, or ever, or what-have-you.

six_storm
03-08-10, 02:57 PM
So why don't companies put demos out anymore? I understand that it's "just one more thing to do" when trying to release a game, but geez. Releasing a demo would make me stop "downloading" and "trying the game before buying". I just want to make sure I get my money's worth.

I kinda disagree. Watching videos/looking at screenshots and actually playing a demo are two different things IMO.