PDA

View Full Version : Valve confirms support for the Mac platform

Pages : [1] 2

rudedog
03-08-10, 02:24 PM
Microsoft better watch out or at least start supporting their PC gaming platform. Oh and their not simply going to take the easy rout and emulate their games on the mac platform. They are going native support.

"We looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development. "The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward. We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth. We fully support a heterogeneous mix of servers and clients. The first Mac Steam client will be the new generation currently in beta testing on Windows."

More info via Valve's press release (http://store.steampowered.com/news/3569/)

Who said OpenGL was dead, long live Valve

|MaguS|
03-08-10, 02:25 PM
Meh, Wont impact the industry much.

|MaguS|
03-08-10, 02:40 PM
You gotta love Valve :)

I will when they announce a solid release date for Episode 3.

rudedog
03-08-10, 02:49 PM
I will when they announce a solid release date for Episode 3.

I will agree if there is anything to complain to Valve about it's their so called episodic titles. yeah every 6 months my ass......

nekrosoft13
03-08-10, 03:38 PM
I will agree if there is anything to complain to Valve about it's their so called episodic titles. yeah every 6 months my ass......

yap, this whole episodic titles is still a horrible idea.

expansion pack content every few years like a full title.

Noriega
03-08-10, 03:42 PM
Mac guysare fuking awesome enough to play on consoles

They neva bought mac fo games they bough mac for bling

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-08-10, 04:04 PM
I think this is a good direction for Valve, albeit I don't care for anything Mac. This could lead to other ventures for Valve and expand the market for playing games on computers (PC and Mac)

FearMeAll
03-08-10, 05:12 PM
Yay let's re-release this old game again....

Maybe this will mean something when they release new games. The Half Life franchise just feels stale and exploited to it's fullest. (to me) They need a new IP that has nothing to do with Half-Life. Portal was close but had the same feel. I want something new.

NaitoSan
03-08-10, 09:30 PM
I'm happy about this news because I use Mac too. Also they said if I already have Valve titles, I get Mac version as well for no extra charge. :)

Redeemed
03-08-10, 10:06 PM
If "PC Gaming" verges over to Macs, I have no problem with dropping Windows and going Mac. Except price. However, I'm sure that with the influx of PC gamers prices would come down some. Also, that'd open the platform up as far as custom builds so it probably wouldn't be too much more expensive than it is now. And it'd give MS some competition.

I mostly like this because if it draws gamers away from Windows and to Macs, that hurts MS sales- which might encourage them to improve their support of PC Gaming. :)

crainger
03-09-10, 12:27 AM
I agree. Some competition might give MS the kick up the rear it needs and stop trying to force us onto the 360.

K007
03-09-10, 01:56 AM
so...they are working on getting opengl source for mac....

as much as i like this....shouldn't they just focus all there man power on hl2 ep3?...

crainger
03-09-10, 02:14 AM
I'd say Valve has a lot more resources at it's disposal than just the EP3 team. I'd rather they take their time with it, with the team that has seen the previous games through, rather than bring in more cooks to spoil it.

Also it was reported they are hiring Mac and Linux programmers, so I don't think they are diverting to much from any in house projects.

Another thing to remember, while Steam might be on Mac, it's still upto all the other devs who use Steam to release for Mac also. The only way I can see that happening is if Mac can guarantee anti piracy, which it can't. From my experience mac piracy is even more rampant than PC, what's more, amongst the Max community I know, it's pretty much accepted.

rudedog
03-09-10, 07:32 AM
Looks like Dice is looking into the Mac platform as well.

From Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5488955/bad-company-2-might-go-mac-as-well)
DICE's Karl Magnus Troedsson said as much yesterday, Tweeting "We're currently investigating the possibility of making BFBC2 available on Mac". Pretty clear, that.

OldOfEvil
03-09-10, 08:57 AM
Have they ever stated why it has/is taking them so long to get out their Episodes? It's been at least a few years since HL2 Episode 2 was released.. where is Episode 3.. :(

grey_1
03-09-10, 10:01 AM
I've given up on ep3. Teh cake is a lie...

I think a major dev supporting Mac is fantastic, possibly the best thing to happen to windows gaming for quite some time.

I hope their sales are through the roof and pull many other devs onboard. Might finally MS to actually provide the support they claim too....

crainger
03-09-10, 01:01 PM
Have they ever stated why it has/is taking them so long to get out their Episodes? It's been at least a few years since HL2 Episode 2 was released.. where is Episode 3.. :(

I put it down to the fact they are perfectionists. If you ever listen to their directors Commentary, the play test and tweak every part of the game. Plus, we let them get away with it. Sure we complain it's taking so long, but when it releases, we still buy the thing in droves.

bob saget
03-09-10, 02:55 PM
I put it down to the fact they are perfectionists. If you ever listen to their directors Commentary, the play test and tweak every part of the game. Plus, we let them get away with it. Sure we complain it's taking so long, but when it releases, we still buy the thing in droves.

yea, their attention to detail is astounding.

snowmanwithahat
03-09-10, 03:18 PM
So... with native OpenGL support does that mean linux is on its way to getting these titles too?

grey_1
03-09-10, 03:22 PM
So... with native OpenGL support does that mean linux is on its way to getting these titles too?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=source_linux&num=1

There have been rumors since last year that Valve may be serious about porting Source games to Linux after Valve Software began seeking a senior software engineer with the responsibility of porting Windows-based games to the Linux platform. Valve Software has yet to officially announce Linux clients for any of its software, but at Phoronix we have received information confirming that Valve is indeed porting its very popular Source engine to the Linux platform.

That was in 2008.

DansFace
03-09-10, 03:33 PM
Can you even buy a Mac with a decent graphics card?....

fizzelopeguss
03-09-10, 03:50 PM
If "episode" 3 is actually turns out to be another episode and not actually Half life 3 i'll be shocked...and pissed off.

Albo
03-09-10, 03:53 PM
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3578

grey_1
03-09-10, 03:54 PM
If "episode" 3 is actually turns out to be another episode and not actually Half life 3 i'll be shocked
I won't
...and pissed off.
I will.

:p

Bearclaw
03-09-10, 04:28 PM
Excited for this. As I use only Mac for personal use/at home, this will be awesome to get back to gaming again. :)